Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
131 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG News

Subject: Help keep Secret Santa great! Calling All Volunteers for Replacement Santas! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the reasons Secret Santa is a success every year is the generosity of users who are willing to step in as a Replacement Santa for someone whose original Santa didn't live up to expectations.

This was the biggest Secret Santa on the site ever - over 2500 total participants! And in the interest of keeping wait times as short as possible for folks who still haven't received a gift, I am going to be much quicker to replace a failed Santa this year. Combined, I anticipate the need for Replacement Santas to be at an all time high!

If you had a particularly generous Santa this year and would like to pay that forward, or if you just want to volunteer to help make sure every BGGer has a great Secret Santa experience, then please do not hesitate to sign-up as a Replacement Santa here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1lQckKVuArtzameIxsbdW7iAs3JP...

(if you already signed-up as a Replacement Santa through the exchange itself back in November, you DO NOT need to sign up again using this link)

THANK YOU SO MUCH to EVERYONE who volunteers! I couldn't make this work without you!

Feel free to geekmail me with any questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzanne
United States
Issaquah
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
getting a "file does not exist" error through that link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about that! Link fixed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Combined, I anticipate the need for Replacement Santas to be at an all time high!

Seriously?!? Why would anyone sign-up and then not complete their end of the bargain? With on-line buying available in virtually every country nowadays, BGG Secret Santa has never been easier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes real life concerns end up taking over and things like Secret Santa slips through the attention cracks. Sometimes Santa does his duty, but the package gets lost! And some people, for whatever reason, just don't follow through.

Whatever the reasons, my goal this year is to get gifts to all of the people who are owed one before the end of winter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Marie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
The most beautiful things in nature stay that way because most humans are too lazy to ruin them ...
mbmbmbmbmb
I just enlisted and am very happy to do so, but I'm rather curious to know what percentage of the no-follow-through Sanatas signed up right before the SS registration cut-off ..

Of course I don't actually expect to be told this .. But I do think it's something that should be looked into by admin as from what I've read many people found this was the case with their targets (my own had been a member for only 3 days!), and that they had only filled out a wish-list (ie: no profile/comments/thumbs) .. In other words it appears they may have signed up for a free gift and really have nothing to lose as a new account can always be made come next Nov ..

Sorry if that sounds really pessimistic or overly assumptuous, I'm only mentioning it as if it was a high volume of the cases then perhaps it would be a good idea to require a few months membership &/or basic contribution to BGG to be able to take part in future exchanges ..

• [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Combined, I anticipate the need for Replacement Santas to be at an all time high!

Seriously?!? Why would anyone sign-up and then not complete their end of the bargain? With on-line buying available in virtually every country nowadays, BGG Secret Santa has never been easier?

I like Octavian's answer and try to remain optimistic that most of the cases revolve around unfortunate circumstances.

But i"m inclined to think there are also people who just don't give a crap about others and are in it for a free ride.

Either way, count me in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ross
Ireland
Cork
Ireland
flag msg tools
The mysteries about how we evolved should not distract us from the indisputable fact that we did evolve. -- Jerry A. Coyne
badge
It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are. -- E E Cummings
mb
tankgrlnz wrote:
I just enlisted and am very happy to do so, but I'm rather curious to know what percentage of the no-follow-through Sanatas signed up right before the SS registration cut-off ..

Of course I don't actually expect to be told this .. But I do think it's something that should be looked into by admin as from what I've read many people found this was the case with their targets (my own had been a member for only 3 days!), and that they had only filled out a wish-list (ie: no profile/comments/thumbs) .. In other words it appears they may have signed up for a free gift and really have nothing to lose as a new account can always be made come next Nov ..

Sorry if that sounds really pessimistic or overly assumptuous, I'm only mentioning it as if it was a high volume of the cases then perhaps it would be a good idea to require a few months membership &/or basic contribution to BGG to be able to take part in future exchanges ..

I believe your sentiments will have struck a chord with the majority on this matter. It is unfortunate that some people will have taken advantage of others good will and generosity, such is life, I guess. If the numbers of people to have been grinched is above a certain threshold, one set by the administrators, will there be wholesale changes to how the secret Santa exchange is conducted for 2014?

Also, is this the first time that a call for replacement secret Santas has been issued?

Peace,

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
yetikeeper wrote:

Also, is this the first time that a call for replacement secret Santas has been issued?

No, there have been calls for replacement Santas in previous years.

I believe the participants in this year's BGG Wargamers Secret Santa have ALL received their goodies - but that is a lot smaller than the main BGG one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Octavian wrote:

Umm...because they can get free games from their Santa and not spend a penny on games for their recipient.

Yes, there are some board game geeks who are scumfucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing like family, friends and games...and music and beer...and pizza and bean dip...and actually having time to play games...
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
If you had a particularly generous Santa this year and would like to pay that forward...

This is me and my wife, and this is why we volunteered. Plus, we get to extend our own personal holiday season just a little bit further. Glad to be a part of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helmut Hohberger
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
yetikeeper wrote:

I believe the participants in this year's BGG Wargamers Secret Santa have ALL received their goodies - but that is a lot smaller than the main BGG one.

~Plus, wargamers are better people than Eurogamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Coon
Germany
Riedlingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in helping out, but I actually have no idea what would be involved. What would I need to do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
jacobjcoon wrote:
I am interested in helping out, but I actually have no idea what would be involved. What would I need to do?

Basically buy someone a game off their wishlist because some dick who signed up to be a BGG secret Santa didn't live up to their end of the deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boardgame
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ratatoskr72 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
yetikeeper wrote:

~Plus, wargamers are better people than Eurogamers.

Also, they are more likely to hunt you down to the ends of the Earth and extract bloody vengeance if you renege on a deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eastwood
United States
Windham
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Chaos is a ladder
mbmbmbmbmb
tankgrlnz wrote:

Absolutely agree - there should be some requirement as to the longevity and utilization of an account to participate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
eastwoodk wrote:
tankgrlnz wrote:

Absolutely agree - there should be some requirement as to the longevity and utilization of an account to participate.

Or perhaps limit it to the year's supporters?

...Food for thought...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Garcia
United States
Harlingen
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a rule that you have to be a member for x amount of time to participate? I've read the rules and cannot find one.

Instating this rule would cut down this problem significantly. I participate on many different forums and am even a mod on a few, and this site is the only one that doesn't enlist this kind of rule for SS. I have yet to see this offend anyone and the ones who are good and want to participate just say "oh well I will participate next year". The norm that I have seen has been around a minimum of 1-2 years membership. One website I saw one time went as far as 3 years minimum, that was changed the following year LOL.

I've even seen some other sites go as far as you cannot participate unless you get vouched for by someone else on the site (it was actually my idea LOL). If you mess up then both get banned, it means a little more if someone else's account is riding on you. That is probably going to far, but this site I'm talking about is very strict when it comes to their secret santa, but the stricter you are the less problems you will have.

Of course this will cut down the numbers, but quality over quantity is better in my book. I'd rather participate with a few hundred people who I feel are good for it then with a couple thousand with an increased chance of getting hosed. Just for the record I did not participate this year due to my financial status.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Cash
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just signed up, though I did not participate in the Secret Santa this year. My wife and I have been really blessed this year and I want to "pay it forward".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yetikeeper wrote:
tankgrlnz wrote:

I believe your sentiments will have struck a chord with the majority on this matter. It is unfortunate that some people will have taken advantage of others good will and generosity, such is life, I guess. If the numbers of people to have been grinched is above a certain threshold, one set by the administrators, will there be wholesale changes to how the secret Santa exchange is conducted for 2014?

Peace,

James

I have been a replacement Secret Santa in the past so this isn't something new and these none follow through shenanigans are the reason the Dice Tower axed their Secret Santa this year and possibly forevermore.

I wouldn't be surprised if eventually Octavian decides to eventually put some parameters on the whole deal just to stop this from spiraling out of control (the comment about a record high need for replacements has me slightly concerned). I would hate to see the Secret Santa go the way of the Dodo Bird.

Just due to a few Rotten Apples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Middlesboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lajaro wrote:
eastwoodk wrote:
tankgrlnz wrote:

...Food for thought...

thumbsdown yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Scarlett_O wrote:
lajaro wrote:
eastwoodk wrote:
tankgrlnz wrote:

...Food for thought...

thumbsdown yuk

Yeah, that would go way, way against the site's policy of not privileging supporters over other users.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike W
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ElAdoranSureshot wrote:
Scarlett_O wrote:
lajaro wrote:
eastwoodk wrote:
tankgrlnz wrote:

...Food for thought...

thumbsdown yuk

Yeah, that would go way, way against the site's policy of not privileging supporters over other users.

The wargamer secret santa had this requirement, which might help somewhat:

Quote:
Requirements

1 You must be an established member of BGG. No "new user" accounts are permitted to join.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Guigliano
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may have been mentioned already, but what about "new member" accounts being active, and in good standing, for a year (or 6 months) before being eligible for Secret Santa?

Something to show they are going to contribute to this community.

OR maybe admins can (and I'm sure they have) crossed addresses to look for repeat offenders?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.