Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I saw the Romulan Commander, was like "awww, level 7" and then I saw his ability! Level infinite captain skill. That is interesting, very interesting. Shame about it being an action to activate when the Romulans don't have any action giving captains yet.

And that Nuclear Warhead. Loving it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow some nice cards, im going to do a type up for reference

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm very excited for all of these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least we didn't get a new Kardashian ship shake

EMH = YES!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Baker
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad for the spoilers we get, but these "reviews" are terrible. Tom burns through cards that are of no interest to him (and there are many), doesn't show all the cards, and frequently doesn't seem to know how the cards even work. It's put together so sloppily that the title card is for Hegemonic, adding to the phoned-in feel. If there are no insights, why not just call it a preview and post pictures of everything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drscottkelly wrote:
At least we didn't get a new Kardashian ship shake

EMH = YES!!!!!!

Yeah, or another Gul Ducket

He did a good job with this one and didn't make nearly as many lack-of-trekitude blunders this time. I can easily forgive him for not knowing most of those Federation characters since all of them except for the Doctor only appeared in one episode of Voyager. I think he only really showed his ignorance when he made the comment about the Romulan Commander as if they were scraping the bottom of the barrel to find a "named" captain. I was hoping we would also have the female Romulan Commander with this one too, but now I'm thinking maybe they'll release a Romulan D-7 for her later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Uh oh, I may have to buy 2 of those Romulan ships. I swore I would only buy one of each expansion of this but they look SOOO cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also are these still slated for February?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Steiner
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Feb 5 I believe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
Uh oh, I may have to buy 2 of those Romulan ships.

I'm just praying they use a good decal underneath instead of someone hand-painting it poorly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if both players use the Romulan Commander?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheWaspinator wrote:

Based on the wording....

-----------------------
CAPTAIN - *Romulan Commander [7 - 2 Elite talents] - 5sp
ACTION: During the combat phase this round, your ship attacks before every other ship. Place an auxiliary power token beside your ship.
-----------------------

If both activated their action in the same round I would think that it would be a simultaneous attack with the Initiative winner attacking first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
traitorarmor wrote:
TheWaspinator wrote:

Based on the wording....

-----------------------
CAPTAIN - *Romulan Commander [7 - 2 Elite talents] - 5sp
ACTION: During the combat phase this round, your ship attacks before every other ship. Place an auxiliary power token beside your ship.
-----------------------

If both activated their action in the same round I would think that it would be a simultaneous attack with the Initiative winner attacking first.

Yep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Smith
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gertbert wrote:
I'm glad for the spoilers we get, but these "reviews" are terrible. Tom burns through cards that are of no interest to him (and there are many), doesn't show all the cards, and frequently doesn't seem to know how the cards even work. It's put together so sloppily that the title card is for Hegemonic, adding to the phoned-in feel. If there are no insights, why not just call it a preview and post pictures of everything?

That was what I was thinking throughout the entire video as well.

I mean kudos for him even doing one of these videos, but if you aren't going to take your time with each ship then only do the ones you do care about. We never got a clear close up of the Federation or Klingon ships, but he had no problem doing a turn on the Romulan or Dominion ships. Then to just speed through the cards without much comment other than "*insert name* looks *insert generic comment*".

The lack of Trek knowledge I can forgive. You don't have to be a fan of the lore to be a fan of the game. Does it help? Sure. But needed? Nah. However, at least understand what the cards do before you record yourself talking about them. He states that "everyone" within the Battleship's 1-2 range when the card he is looking at clearly states "one other" ship.

Again, kudos for the video but just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if you are familiar with how many reviews Tom Vasel does, but the sheer volume of games he reviews is astounding.

His style is generally to give a high level review, skimming over details... But usually sharing just the right details an experienced gamer needs to know to make up their mind if they want to buy or not.

He obviously plays and enjoys AW which is great considering how many games he has to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Baker
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
Not sure if you are familiar with how many reviews Tom Vasel does, but the sheer volume of games he reviews is astounding.

His style is generally to give a high level review, skimming over details... But usually sharing just the right details an experienced gamer needs to know to make up their mind if they want to buy or not.

He obviously plays and enjoys AW which is great considering how many games he has to play.

Tom used to write really detailed reviews, but as his popularity has grown and his time has been pulled in all sorts of directions things have changed dramatically. Calling that video a review is disingenuous. It's a bad preview at best. There are no insights or evaluations. There is absolutely nothing in this I couldn't have found out for myself by reading card spoilers and looking at some pictures.

It is great that he seems to enjoy AW, but he also doesn't seem to understand or care about core aspects of it (like the awful maneuver dial for the Battleship), which pretty much invalidates his opinions as a reviewer of this particular release. I read/watch reviews to learn someone's opinion on a game and their reasons for forming that opinion. Not to see someone point at stuff and say, "that's cool" and make statements that are flat-out wrong based on the card text they're opining on.

I used to be a big fan of Tom's work, and I respect him immensely for what he's done for the gaming industry. He also seems to be a great person. But in the past few years I've cared less and less about what he says because his gaming is so incredibly diluted. With all he has going on and all the new games he plays it seems impossible that he's playing games enough times to be in a position to give them a thorough review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kitchin
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regardless of commentary, I appreciate that we now know most of the card details weeks in advance. The review with the sound turned off is still valuable for those spoilers alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Kelly
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What completely turned me off to any gameplay review Tom Vasal currently does was Police Precinct (completely overselling an ok game in spite of numerous problems such as misspellings, rules mistakes, etc, just because they named a street after him and one of his Dice Tower buddies is on a card). I watch for a general overview of gameplay or spoilers, but not for his opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Pitner
United States
Plano
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to hear whispers of a possible delay in wave 3 to the end of February. Really hoping this is not true! Anybody else hearing this from their FLGS? *fingers crossed*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just what the UK wants after the massive delay with Wave 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
traitor armor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stpitner wrote:
I'm starting to hear whispers of a possible delay in wave 3 to the end of February. Really hoping this is not true! Anybody else hearing this from their FLGS? *fingers crossed*

I was doing some pre-orders yesterday and they showed me the e-mail.......pushed back to Feb 26th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno, I thought it was a nice video preview, and I'm not expecting much more in an 8 minute video. As for the Wave 3, I'm even more amped up for the Romulan Bird of Prey now that I've seen it, especially with the cards included. I will probably pick up two of them, plus one of the Klingon and Fed ships. I don't know if I will pick up the Dominion battleship, as I'm not a big Dom fan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tracy Baker
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I dunno, I thought it was a nice video preview, and I'm not expecting much more in an 8 minute video.

The whole point is that he calls this a review. I agree that it's a useful video preview, but as an evaluation of the game (which is what a review is) it is fairly useless.

That stinks about the delay. They were already holding up a pre-order I had, and now I'll have to shuffle things around or wait several extra weeks to get the other stuff. I was also really looking forward to playing with those ships soon. Oh well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.