Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to the dice tower review by tom vasel we can see the cards that come with the equinox are as follows

CAPTAIN - *Rudolph Ransom [4] - 2sp
When defending, if there is a [Evade] token beside your ship, roll +2 defense dice

CAPTAIN - *Maxwell Burke [2] - 1sp
ACTION: Discard this card to gain +2 attack dice this round.

CREW - *Carla Gilmore - 2sp
ACTION: If your ship is not cloaked, disable all of your remaining shields and target a ship at range 1-2 that is not cloaked and has no active shields. Disable this card and 1 [tech] upgrade of your choice on the target ship. You may then use that Upgrades action (if any) as a free action this round.

CREW - *Noah Lessing - 2sp
ACTION: Disable this card and any 1 of your [tech] upgrades to target a ship at range 1-2. Disable 1 of the target ship's active shields

? - *Emergency Medical Hologram - 2sp
This upgrade counts as either a [Crew] upgrade of a [Tech] upgrade (your choice).
When you use a [Tech] upgrade that requires you to disable it, you may disable this card instead of that [tech] upgrade.

TECH - Navigational Deflector - 5sp
When taking damage, you may discard this card to cancel 1 [Hit] result.
If the damage if from a minefield or an obstacle, disable this card instead of discarding it. If you disable this card you may roll defense dice against obstacles or minefields

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial thoughts:
I think Ransom adds some possibilities. He's not amazing, but I love that he's passive and works on every defense.
Burke: Could swing the game, but with that low of a captain skill, you're taking an awful big gamble that something will be in range.
Crew members: meh. I don't see how Noah is ever better than scanning, he's basically a chance that you'll get through the other shields and hull. Carla is ok, but very situational.
EMH: Potentially useful. Basically a transferred action for something like Defiant cloak.
Navigational Deflector - way situational. If it works, it's great, but you may never need it. That being said, canceling 1 hit can be a difference maker sometimes. Not sure it's worth 5 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mathguy6189 wrote:

Navigational Deflector - way situational. If it works, it's great, but you may never need it. That being said, canceling 1 hit can be a difference maker sometimes. Not sure it's worth 5 points.

Now the rommies have even more mines thanks to the gath'thong expansion this may see more action than you thing.

I love the EMH and the more that comes out the more use this will see.

I think this expansion is second after the battleship of this wave. Ransom at 2sp is pretty much a given. If you were to chuck him on a flagship where you get a free evade action he's going to be damn hard to kill, cloaked defiant rolling 8 defense dice with a scan token?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Navigation deflector will become a standard in venues with heavy cloaked mine use. Would also save the Klingons from the dreaded Antimatter mine attack. Something else, these have got to be the cheapest fed upgrades to date.

What about weapons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
at the moment photon and quantum torps will have to do

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see klingons using the EMH along with the ADVANCED WEAPONS SYSTEM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
or just use it with the nav deflector for relative impunity against mines

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Ship itself:
Being a 90 degree front no rear arc instantly lowers this a tier in my book compared to other fed ships. I like the shield trick, but this ship really needs something else going for it to make that worthwhile.

Ransom:
I like him. Cheap with a good defensive ability that synergizes okay with the deflector.

Burke:
Not a terrible ability at all for a single point. For that one point he seems like someone I might reach for even over Tyrell to fill out that last point and replace a generic captain or something. Edit: It occurs to me he'd be an interesting captain to run if you like using the sideboard. Use him for the alpha strike, then beam in another skipper.

Carla Gilmore:
I'm not a fan of "Crew Ganking" cards (and this is basically a "tech ganking" card.) The opportunity cost/conditions to use this is just ridiculous, and 9 times out of 10 if the opposing ship also meets the conditions I'd rather just spend the action to beef up an attack and shoot it since its mostly dead. These cards are so situational and marginal I frankly wish they'd just let this subsystem quietly die.

Noah Lessing:
Another tremendously action intensive card for a tiny boon.

EMH:
This one is actually interesting. There's not a lot of Fed tech out yet, and most of it doesn't require disabling, save for Defiant Cloak which I tend to avoid anyway even when running the Defiant. However I can see its stock going up as more comes out.

Navigational Deflector:
A bit pricey for the use, and the mine thing is situational, however I hope that the very existence of this in the metagame ecosystem will be a dampener on minespam lists. I can see it getting a lot of use in local metas where it's rampant and hopefully putting it back in check.

This will be one to pick up for the captains, anyway. Unless something else incredible gets spoiled I will probably eschew my usual plan of doubling up on fed releases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the the EMH should be unique. After Voyager they were installed on most federation ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
Ship itself:
Being a 90 degree front no rear arc instantly lowers this a tier in my book compared to other fed ships. I like the shield trick, but this ship really needs something else going for it to make that worthwhile.

You should look again the Nova class has a rear arc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Mr S Baldrick wrote:
alepperd wrote:
Ship itself:

You should look again the Nova class has a rear arc.

So it does, that's what I get for watching videos in Standard Def.

Well, that bumps it back up as a contender to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenn Mikos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jiffk wrote:

This upgrade counts as either a [Crew] upgrade of a [Tech] upgrade (your choice).
When you use a [Tech] upgrade that requires you to disable it, you may disable this card instead of that [tech] upgrade.

Odd that it affects Tech upgrades. I'd expect that from an engineering-type character, not a medical crew/device. As with McCoy, I'd have expected it to help Crew upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
kemikos wrote:
jiffk wrote:

Odd that it affects Tech upgrades. I'd expect that from an engineering-type character, not a medical crew/device. As with McCoy, I'd have expected it to help Crew upgrades.

As I recall in the show, the Equinox EMH doesn't do a whole lot of doctoring on screen, but disables and replaces the Voyager's Doctor and does some sabotage of equipment on Voyager.

I'm expecting the Doctor upgrade from Voyager to be the one that interacts with crew upgrades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
kemikos wrote:
jiffk wrote:

As I recall in the show, the Equinox EMH doesn't do a whole lot of doctoring on screen, but disables and replaces the Voyager's Doctor and does some sabotage of equipment on Voyager.

I'm expecting the Doctor upgrade from Voyager to be the one that interacts with crew upgrades.

I second this, it will maybe even be the same card text just effecting crew upgrades rather than tech

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Steiner
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
CAPTAIN - *Rudolph Ransom [4] - 2sp
When defending, if there is a [Evade] token beside your ship, roll +2 defense dice

+Sulu +Defiant +Defiant Cloak

Can you say 10+ defense dice with and evade plus battlestation turning into an evade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenn Mikos
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
kemikos wrote:
jiffk wrote:

Yeah, good point. I was thinking of the generic EMH tech, not the Equinox-specific one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone else disappointed there is no "Feed the alien into the reactor core" card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
tellerium wrote:
Anyone else disappointed there is no "Feed the alien into the reactor core" card?

That's what the Scenario is for... robot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whooo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see a couple nova class ships with transwarp drive and photons finding their way into my fleet

transwarp drive = sacrifice alien to the warp drive
take that prime directive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tellerium wrote:

2nd this. Maybe it'll be in some of the cards he missed. I didn't see any weapon upgrades either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume Burke's skill is a typo, and should be "disable"?

I mean...how do you 'discard' a captain...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
XanderF wrote:
I assume Burke's skill is a typo, and should be "disable"?

I mean...how do you 'discard' a captain...?

I'm pretty sure "discard" is what is intended, "disable" might be way too strong for a single point.

As to the how, same as you'd discard an upgrade, I figure. I assume it would just follow the already existing rules for disabling a captain: You'd lose your captain text and your ship would act on the "Captain skill 1" initiative count.

Edit: The one corner case that might need explicit clarification is if you gave him an elite talent (say through the Federation flagship) if you would lose access to it when he was discarded. Again I'd assume the answer is "yes" based on the implications of a disabled captain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Upon realizing it has a rear arc, the Nova class might actually be a decent replacement/compliment to the tactical role currently filled by the Miranda class, provided you're willing to give up white tight 3 turns and a 180 arc for that tech slot...

which with transwarp... hrm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am not getting the EMH card, it says it can be used as an officer or a tech upgrade, the card says what it can do as a tech upgrade, but does not say what it can do as an officer upgrade. Am I missing something here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.