Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks to the dice tower review by tom vasel we can see the cards that come with the Gath'thong are as follows

CAPTAIN - *Romulan Commander [7 - 2 Elite talents] - 5sp
ACTION: During the combat phase this round, your ship attacks before every other ship. Place an auxiliary power token beside your ship.

CREW - *Romulan Officer - 5sp
ACTION: Discard this card. If you initiate an attack while cloaked this round, add +2 attack dice. You cannot roll any defense dice this round.

WEAPON - Plasma torpedoes - bleugh

WEAPON - Nuclear Warhead - 3sp
ACTION: At the end of the activation phase discard this card and place a minefield token within range 1 of your ship, but not within your forward firing arc and not on top of another ship. If a ship enters the minefield on a future turn, roll 3 attack dice. Any [hit] or [critical] damages the ship as normal. The affected ship does not roll any defense dice.

ELITE - *Double Back - 5sp
After performing a [sensor echo] action, you may disacrd this card to immediately perform a [Reverse]1 or [Reverse]2 full astern maneuver.

ELITE - *Decoy - 4sp
When defending, before any dice are rolled, you may discard this card and any one of your [Weapon] or [Tech] upgrades to force your opponent to roll 3 less attack dice this round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kitchin
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Nuclear Warhead = a productive use of Weapon slots on ships with decent attack. And now Romulans are firmly the nefarious minefields faction. arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Albrecht
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Double Back is going to be great on the Rav Laerst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Annoyingly the minefield token looks identical so will have to come up with some other way of showing cloaked or uncloaked mines.

I think at 3 points its a bit of a steal again, the fed antimatter mines have to be in rear firing arc these just cant be in the forward firing arc at the expense of not being able to place them directly on top of an enemy.

The only faction this wont work so well against is feds with their reverse.

I was originally thinking this would be awesome with a low skill captain as you could move and place it before a high skill captain moves and then subsiquently moves through it straight away but I've just reread it and its at the end of the activation phase so it's a little harder to use than i first thought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jonas Albrecht wrote:

I like this idea ... apart from the 6sp to allow 1 reverse maneuver on a ship thats one of the more maneuverable dom ships

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did I see 2 Minefield Templates in the review though? Maybe the missing one from the Prateus was lonely and skipped expansions?whistle

Love the Romulan Commander (who's first-striking now!)devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now the praetus will see even more action. Load it up with 2 cloaked mines and a nuclear warhead for only 23 pts.

At least the warheads effect all ships. It would be great to drop next to someone that gets stuck in a corner.

I am already thinking of great uses for the Romulan Commander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Albrecht
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jiffk wrote:
Jonas Albrecht wrote:

I like this idea ... apart from the 6sp to allow 1 reverse maneuver on a ship thats one of the more maneuverable dom ships

Eh, gotta spend your space points on something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gal Gath'thong with 2 plasma torpedoes and counter attack would be a nice, and make people think twice before shooting at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keras (yes, I'm sticking to that name) with 2 Elite Talents and attacking first? Yeah, he'll do. Donatra keeps moving down my list of best Romulan captains. She's nice, but Toreth and Keras are both much better.

I'm going to like this ship. No need to borrow a Klingon Vor'cha in my fleets once this comes out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
It blows my mind that after almost half a century of tie-in media there's evidently no "official" name for the guy from Balance of Terror?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
It blows my mind that after almost half a century of tie-in media there's evidently no "official" name for the guy from Balance of Terror?

That's because his name was never mentioned on screen. If it's not on screen in Trek, it's all unofficial. It is kind of surprising that the first visual encounter between the Federation & Romulans hasn't been revisited though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the upgrades for this one even the plasma torps are a cheaper version of the existing torps.

On the whole I think the standard of the upgrades has really improved on this wave with the Klingon's getting either the worst or best of the deal (depending on whether you play faction pure or not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
davedujour wrote:
alepperd wrote:

That's because his name was never mentioned on screen. If it's not on screen in Trek, it's all unofficial. It is kind of surprising that the first visual encounter between the Federation & Romulans hasn't been revisited though.

You would think if they can grab a random Cardassian screen cap and call him "BOHEEKA" of all things, they could use a semi-canonical name for the romulan duder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan kipps-bolton
United Kingdom
watford
hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
not that random....

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Boheeka
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Ha, I assumed the game designers just gave him a silly joke name because of his dice enhancement ability. Instead it was a silly joke name from the show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
alepperd wrote:

To be fair, the SHIP was also never named 'on screen'. Yet, the card definitely gives it a name.

So...precedent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
These cards are soooo good.

Thank you WizKids for making them unique, so I dont have to buy three of them.

(I may still buy three, but now I don't have to)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bruce
United States
Elgin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What I love is how all these upgrades fit so perfectly with the episode and at the same time are useful for the game. Big kudos to andrew and company
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
davedujour wrote:
alepperd wrote:

To be fair, the SHIP was also never named 'on screen'. Yet, the card definitely gives it a name.

So...precedent.

True, but at least Gal Gath'thong is a place on Romulus, mentioned in "The Defector". So at least the name has some relevance. And it's not like you can have an unnamed ship as the "named ship". "Bird of Prey" isn't really a name.

Similarly, the class of the Valdore ship type was never named. We saw 2 ships of the same design fight the Scimitar, but only one of them was given a name - IRW Valdore. Better example: Praetus from Enterprise.

Yes, it would have been nice to have the Romulan Commander named Keras, but that's an semi-obscure fan name for the character. I don't think it's even made it to print an officially licensed product yet. Memory Alpha says the old Decipher CCG had the name Keras. I'll have to dig out my old cards and see if I can find that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
I'm pleasantly surprised they didn't skimp on the "bird of prey" decal on the hull. I was fully expecting them to not bother, based on their track record.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the ship. I think it got some of the best upgrades of the lot. Everything is so 'Romulan'.

Like cloaked mines before them, those Warheads will be of some use...PLEASE ADD A MINE TOKEN!!!

Double back looks fantastic for a Romulan dreadnaught.

davedujour wrote:
Keras (yes, I'm sticking to that name) with 2 Elite Talents and attacking first? Yeah, he'll do. Donatra keeps moving down my list of best Romulan captains. She's nice, but Toreth and Keras are both much better.

I'm going to like this ship. No need to borrow a Klingon Vor'cha in my fleets once this comes out.

Toreth better than Donatra? Well individually yes, but in the scope of a fleet Donatra is much more damaging.

I'll definitely hand it to you that Keras is a beast and is certainly on my new list of approved Donatra wingmen. 2 talent slots is always nice to have and the ability to fire 1st when you need to is also top stuffs. Take that Picard, Kirk, Khan and Martok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Durand
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alepperd wrote:
I'm pleasantly surprised they didn't skimp on the "bird of prey" decal on the hull. I was fully expecting them to not bother, based on their track record.

I agree, though in place of "pleasantly surprised" I'd say "shocked speechless!" I was fully expecting a solid gray lump of plastic in the vague shape of a bird of prey. (Especially after comparing my Hallmark Klingon bird of prey miniature Christmas ornament, which has about a 20mm wingspan, to the Wizkids Koraga and seeing that the ornament has more and better sculpted detail!)

The Gal Gath'thongs look so nice, I can see myself getting three, if for nothing else just because they'll look great on the table. Can't wait to see them in the flesh, so to speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough, GenKhan kind of shrugs at He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

I'm wondering how the ability works relative to simultaneous fire. Is it resolved as though he were skill 10, or tied everyone down to skill 7?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FortuneFavorTheBold wrote:
Oddly enough, GenKhan kind of shrugs at He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

I'm wondering how the ability works relative to simultaneous fire. Is it resolved as though he were skill 10, or tied everyone down to skill 7?

Genkhan still sees skill 7. Keras's ability ignores captain skill in firing and places him 1st in the order regardless how many other 7's, 8's an 9's there are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |