Subject: SPOILER - I.R.W Gal Gath'thong expansion cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FortuneFavorTheBold wrote:
Oddly enough, GenKhan kind of shrugs at He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.

I'm wondering how the ability works relative to simultaneous fire. Is it resolved as though he were skill 10, or tied everyone down to skill 7?

I don't think simultaneous fire will apply unless both players have him. Other captains skill level is irrelevant. His text says attack before everyother ship. So he depending on the ships he could one shot a pocard, martok, or kirk.

After February you will have to be carful putting thows guys on little 3 hull ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdt784 wrote:

Toreth better than Donatra? Well individually yes, but in the scope of a fleet Donatra is much more damaging.

The more I play Donatra the less I like her. Typically she's +2 attack dice across the fleet. That's very good, but her 6 skill and Romulans firing 3rd in order means she dies fairly early. Cross-faction her in a 5 ship Klingon D7 build (Martok9, Gowron, Donatra, Terrell) and she's great. But in terms of pure Romulan fleets & captains I'll go Keras, Toreth, Donatra. Donatra has become relegated to a support ship and is no longer on my primary attacking ships. And overall she's still in the upper half of the captains, but there are many better choices available now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love this expansion! Makes up for the Vo.

Looking forward to spicing up my Rom strategies with these...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kitchin
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdt784 wrote:
.PLEASE ADD A MINE TOKEN!!!

As a matter of fact, the video review these cards were derived from shows that the Gal Gath'thong is packed with TWO mine tokens. They appear to be identical in size to the starter kit, but with a slightly different graphic to help distinguish them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Bazzano
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davedujour wrote:
XanderF wrote:
davedujour wrote:
alepperd wrote:
It blows my mind that after almost half a century of tie-in media there's evidently no "official" name for the guy from Balance of Terror?

That's because his name was never mentioned on screen. If it's not on screen in Trek, it's all unofficial. It is kind of surprising that the first visual encounter between the Federation & Romulans hasn't been revisited though.

To be fair, the SHIP was also never named 'on screen'. Yet, the card definitely gives it a name.

So...precedent.

True, but at least Gal Gath'thong is a place on Romulus, mentioned in "The Defector". So at least the name has some relevance. And it's not like you can have an unnamed ship as the "named ship". "Bird of Prey" isn't really a name.

Similarly, the class of the Valdore ship type was never named. We saw 2 ships of the same design fight the Scimitar, but only one of them was given a name - IRW Valdore. Better example: Praetus from Enterprise.

Yes, it would have been nice to have the Romulan Commander named Keras, but that's an semi-obscure fan name for the character. I don't think it's even made it to print an officially licensed product yet. Memory Alpha says the old Decipher CCG had the name Keras. I'll have to dig out my old cards and see if I can find that one.

I vaguely remember seeing the Keras card, especially when looking at the image on the Continuing Commitee Decipher CCG site. And, as most of us old STCCG players know, Decipher had to get every card okayed by Paramount for use in the game. Therefore, I'm going to consider this an official name for this Commander and his ship.

Speaking of which, when do we get Commander Charvanek and her Romulan Battlecruiser?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Chelette
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mb
Another Perspective:

Gal Gath'thong: include Plasma Torpedoes and Gal Gath'thong is effectively a Romulan version of the Ch'Tang, a fine ship. A tech slot would have made it the best ship in the fleet. Expect to see it in a lot of builds.

Double Back: hard to see this as anything but a weaker version of In'Cha. Same cost, consumes Elite Talent slot and is not as flexible. Yes, full astern can be a useful maneuver but In'Cha is stronger. Would rather field two Romulan Pilots and have a point left over.

Decoy: very expensive for what it does. Hard to see it making the cut.

Keras: I hate to say it, but Keras is not a strong choice. At first glance he looks promising, but several factors limit his effectiveness:

1) He costs 1 point more than Toreth & Donatra.

2) Romulans have only a few strong Elite Talents. Allowing a second adds some flexibility (for example, Counter Attack + Massacre), but the points could just as well be spent on crew or tech.

3) The biggest problem is Keras ability consumes an Action and more importantly drops an Aux Power token. At best his first strike ability comes into play once or twice a game for a kill shot. If his effect was continuous, he would have been in the elite tier, but as-is he is not even in the same league as Toreth or Donatra.

Bottom Line: Gal Gath'thong is an important offensive addition, but the upgrades are unlikely to be competitive with current Romulan options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Holsclaw
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coastcityo wrote:
davedujour wrote:
XanderF wrote:
davedujour wrote:
alepperd wrote:
It blows my mind that after almost half a century of tie-in media there's evidently no "official" name for the guy from Balance of Terror?

That's because his name was never mentioned on screen. If it's not on screen in Trek, it's all unofficial. It is kind of surprising that the first visual encounter between the Federation & Romulans hasn't been revisited though.

To be fair, the SHIP was also never named 'on screen'. Yet, the card definitely gives it a name.

So...precedent.

True, but at least Gal Gath'thong is a place on Romulus, mentioned in "The Defector". So at least the name has some relevance. And it's not like you can have an unnamed ship as the "named ship". "Bird of Prey" isn't really a name.

Similarly, the class of the Valdore ship type was never named. We saw 2 ships of the same design fight the Scimitar, but only one of them was given a name - IRW Valdore. Better example: Praetus from Enterprise.

Yes, it would have been nice to have the Romulan Commander named Keras, but that's an semi-obscure fan name for the character. I don't think it's even made it to print an officially licensed product yet. Memory Alpha says the old Decipher CCG had the name Keras. I'll have to dig out my old cards and see if I can find that one.

I vaguely remember seeing the Keras card, especially when looking at the image on the Continuing Commitee Decipher CCG site. And, as most of us old STCCG players know, Decipher had to get every card okayed by Paramount for use in the game. Therefore, I'm going to consider this an official name for this Commander and his ship.

Speaking of which, when do we get Commander Charvanek and her Romulan Battlecruiser?

A lot of the STCCG names were actually subtle jokes. Keras is no exception: just spell his name backwards and you'll see what I mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr.Cornelius wrote:
Another Perspective:

Gal Gath'thong: include Plasma Torpedoes and Gal Gath'thong is effectively a Romulan version of the Ch'Tang, a fine ship. A tech slot would have made it the best ship in the fleet. Expect to see it in a lot of builds.

Double Back: hard to see this as anything but a weaker version of In'Cha. Same cost, consumes Elite Talent slot and is not as flexible. Yes, full astern can be a useful maneuver but In'Cha is stronger. Would rather field two Romulan Pilots and have a point left over.

Decoy: very expensive for what it does. Hard to see it making the cut.

Keras: I hate to say it, but Keras is not a strong choice. At first glance he looks promising, but several factors limit his effectiveness:

1) He costs 1 point more than Toreth & Donatra.

2) Romulans have only a few strong Elite Talents. Allowing a second adds some flexibility (for example, Counter Attack + Massacre), but the points could just as well be spent on crew or tech.

3) The biggest problem is Keras ability consumes an Action and more importantly drops an Aux Power token. At best his first strike ability comes into play once or twice a game for a kill shot. If his effect was continuous, he would have been in the elite tier, but as-is he is not even in the same league as Toreth or Donatra.

Bottom Line: Gal Gath'thong is an important offensive addition, but the upgrades are unlikely to be competitive with current Romulan options.

I disagree I think the upgrades are quite good.

Decoy combined with the high defence dice of a cloaked romulan ship is another effective anti-BOF card for romulan ships without tech slots.

Double Back is an awesome card for use against the jousting pass that you frequently see Klingons using. When they take their 3 turn about instead of doing the same you do a 1 forward, sensor echo and then a 1 or 2 reverse and you end up behind them with them almost certainly in your firearc.

Given these elite talents together with the ones already available Keras must be considered one of the better captains; even before considering that for just 1 action you can guarantee shooting first against any other Captain. If that isn't awesome why do we see so many high skill captains in opponents fleets or have so many people bemoaning the lack of one. Finally the APT is almost a non-entity as it is gained after the activation round and you can get rid of it with a green maneuver next round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Grimes
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jiffk wrote:
Annoyingly the minefield token looks identical so will have to come up with some other way of showing cloaked or uncloaked mines.

Paint one black, so it's cloaked. I printed of a few in B&W, and they convey cloaked very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lepperd
msg tools
Or drop a cloak token on it to differentiate it from AM mines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Payne
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is actually some things missing here. The Centurion, Decius and the Romulan Scanner Operator...all of which could be definite crew upgrades.

The Scanner Operator could give a free scan action...

Centurion could help with attack or give a free target lock...

Decius could boost the Romulan Commander card, or is the second captain for the ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry DeStefano
United States
Bloomingburg
New York
flag msg tools
Surprised we didn't see Decius or the centurion...somebody did a home version card for the centurion....if somebody makes some I'll print them out!!!!LOL...Now waiting for the Romulan D7 version Yeah!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Thorpe
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask and you shall receive.

I did a card for the Centurian before but it was a bit cobbled together and I just copied another card's ability.

However, as I've had a bit more practice now at designing custom cards I thought I'd re-do them.

I wanted the card abilities to reflect the roll the characters played in the show to some extent, so I chose the following:

Decius - In the show he manipulated the Romulan Commander into attacking the Enterprise first which ultimately caused his and the ships death. So I thought that he could be discarded to allow a captain to perform an action for free. I'd cost this at 3 as it is a similar effect to McCoy.

The Centurian - In the show he pushed the commander out of the way of falling debris sacrificing his life to save the Commander. So I decided to allow him a choice of 2 effects (similar to the way Scotty works). He can be disabled to prevent your captain being disabled or discarded to treat an Injured Captain Critical as a normal damage card.

Hope you like them (click image to go to larger version at Imageshack), Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compton
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the Centurion card!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully the Gal Gath'thong comes with another named captain. The romulans are getting short changed in that department when the science vessel, praetus, and vo only had one unique captain each. Most other non OP prize ships are getting 2 captains per set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kitchin
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It probably won't. The Centurion seems to be a likely candidate for the generic captain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lenson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
SteRT wrote:
Ask and you shall receive.

I did a card for the Centurian before but it was a bit cobbled together and I just copied another card's ability.

However, as I've had a bit more practice now at designing custom cards I thought I'd re-do them.

I wanted the card abilities to reflect the roll the characters played in the show to some extent, so I chose the following:

Decius - In the show he manipulated the Romulan Commander into attacking the Enterprise first which ultimately caused his and the ships death. So I thought that he could be discarded to allow a captain to perform an action for free. I'd cost this at 3 as it is a similar effect to McCoy.

The Centurian - In the show he pushed the commander out of the way of falling debris sacrificing his life to save the Commander. So I decided to allow him a choice of 2 effects (similar to the way Scotty works). He can be disabled to prevent your captain being disabled or discarded to treat an Injured Captain Critical as a normal damage card.

Hope you like them (click image to go to larger version at Imageshack), Enjoy!

Great work on both of those cards - I like how you've tied what they did in the episode to their abilities, very thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Whaley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Romulan Commander should have been at least an 8; he was nearly Kirk's equal.

He really only lost because he listened to his whiny "kill them all" lieutenant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Whaley
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackthorne1978 wrote:
jiffk wrote:
Annoyingly the minefield token looks identical so will have to come up with some other way of showing cloaked or uncloaked mines.

Paint one black, so it's cloaked. I printed of a few in B&W, and they convey cloaked very well.
I had made some cloaked mine tokens using the P&P minefield file Andrew supplied and then adding in a Cloaking symbol from the Cloak tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hosp
msg tools
Decoy could be cool maybe with Reliant Khan on a flagship that adds a Talent slot; combined with Captured Intelligence and some of the cheap 1-2 point Dominion tech upgrades you could make a really hard to kill ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |