Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, quick question:

When your units are attacked for forced to retreat, and the enemy units advance on your position, can you perform a counter against those enemy units?

I haven't the game yet, and only have read the rules available on the FFG site. Also, having never played a C&C/Battlelore game before, I had no idea what the historical ruling on this would be...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark De Lorenzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can. See the Reference Guide Page 3 for Counters. It states that you can counter if after the attacking unit is adjacent AFTER it's combat sequence.
On page 2 & 3, Combat sequence includes (#11) Advance.
So, the option to Counter is determined after the attacking unit advances on you again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
padlock

Unspecified
Unspecified
msg tools
No. The reference manual under counter lists one condition to able to counter as:

"The target unit remains in the same hex after resolving the attacking unit's combat sequence."

If you're forced to retreat, you're no longer in the same hex, so you can't counter. Of course, if you can't retreat for any reason (ie. there's impassible terrain behind you), then (assuming you're still alive after you take your damage) you are able to counter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark De Lorenzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm.. A matter of interpretation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
padlock

Unspecified
Unspecified
msg tools
I'm not sure that there's much room for interpretation.

Even the detailed combat steps in the reference guide has resolve retreats as step 8, perform counter at step 10, and advance at step 11, which means that if a unit is forced to retreat, it would not be adjacent to the attacking unit during the counter step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
EnjoyRC wrote:

Don't think so. The sentence from the book (quoted above) is pretty clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EnjoyRC wrote:

If forced to retreat, you are not in an adjacent hex on step 10, resolve counters. Advance happens after counters so you cannot counter following an advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contemptus Mundi
United States
Cedar City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But if a Pursue was used, you could retreat, receive a second attack and then counter... assuming you're adjacent. Correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Berard
United States
Wabash
IN
flag msg tools
Hit 'em high.
badge
Hit 'em low.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you all waste no time. Thanks for the answers (again, as I didn't have the Reference Book it was a bit unclear), and I can't wait to get this on the table!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
padlock

Unspecified
Unspecified
msg tools
Eraelan wrote:
Wow, you all waste no time. Thanks for the answers (again, as I didn't have the Reference Book it was a bit unclear), and I can't wait to get this on the table!

It's a great game. I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
LoweringTheBar wrote:
But if a Pursue was used, you could retreat, receive a second attack and then counter... assuming you're adjacent. Correct?

Yes, provided that you don't retreat, or are not eliminated with the 2nd attack too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.