Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Terra Mystica - Recommended? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray Kri
msg tools
Hi, I'm looking into Terra Mystica as the reviews are all excellent.
How hard is it to learn? How complex is the game and how hard is it to learn to other people.
Does it have some of the same elements as eclipse? Saw a quick video from the game and some elements reminded me of eclipse

What can it be compared to? Is it fun? Long game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 481569. blodskjegg
  • 1d20 =
  • (14) =
  • lol
  • Fri Jan 3, 2014 3:03 pm
  • [+]
  • 481674. OverEngineered
  • 10d8rr[7] =
  • (2 + 3 + 3 + 7(+ 3) + 2 + 2 + 4 + 8(+ 6) + 1 + 7(+ 3)) =
  • what?
  • Fri Jan 3, 2014 9:55 pm
  • [+]
  • 482237. Ruud2009
  • 1d100 =
  • (48) =
  • Sun Jan 5, 2014 5:59 pm
  • [+]
  • 482330. Ixphotos
  • 1d100 =
  • (13) =
  • Sun Jan 5, 2014 10:08 pm
Ian Taylor
United Kingdom
Epping
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be posted on the Terra Mystica forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Al-Tahan
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It's a little bit complex to learn and start playing at first, but once you get going it becomes much faster. The board does a great job of explaining everything. A lot of decisions to be made, but I really really enjoyed this one. I loved that characters were very different. It's also just a great looking game in general. I ended up buying it the day after I played my friend's copy of it. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks quite intimidating, but is not that hard to learn. When you start playing you will get used to what to do and in what order. There is a lot of tactical choices to make, and each race plays differently. This is a game that you may find yourself itching to play again and again as you try and find the best strategy for each race.

Your first game will probably run to 30 minutes reading through the rules and 2 hours to play. After that your down to 90 minutes for a game, maybe a bit quicker as you learn it all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Maier
Switzerland
8002 Zürich
Schweiz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This might belong in the recommendations forum :-)

Length and complexity have been described above and I agree. As compared to Eclipse: if you can play Eclipse, you can play TM. The complexity is quite similar (see also the Avg Weight according to this beautifull site).

TM is similar to Eclipse in the way you take actions. The players take turns with taking actions according to their resources. Also, the way you collect resources (by placing shaped wooden pieces on the board) is very similar. Besides that, the games are completely different. TM is more strategic and has pretty much no randomness and hidden information.

Is it fun? Well, for me it is. Whether it's fun for you depends a lot on your group and taste. But it's definitely a very well designed game and if you like this kind of games, then it's probably fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is very explicitly a game for people who really like fairly heavy eurogames. Theme is nonexistent and it IS a heavy game. If theme is very important to you, look elsewhere. If you are unsure whether a quite heavy pure euro is for you, you might want to start with something less heavy.

For people who love big euros, this is obviously great, which is reflected in the general BGG ratings of it.

Seeing as you have only listed two games amongst games you own, I'm not sure where you'd fall. One of your games, Puerto Rico, is a LOT more accessible than Terra Mystica. Eclipse is a different sort of beast altogether, I think.

Have you tried worker placement games like Agricola or Tzolk'in? Not that they are all that much like Terra Mystica, but they might be a better recommendation for you. Again, I base this on only knowing that you have played Puerto Rico and Eclipse and NOTHING else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
I think this is very explicitly a game for people who really like fairly heavy eurogames. Theme is nonexistent and it IS a heavy game.

That's not strictly true. You play as different races which have different abilities. There certainly is a theme. However, I'll grant you that during the play of the game, it might not feel like theme is an important element of play.

BlueSwan wrote:
If theme is very important to you, look elsewhere.
I won't disagree with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitrijs Zulenkovs
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are not very difficult, took like 30 mins for us to get through and start. The good thing is that personal sheets and the main board have tons of hints for you which are really clear. The things you have to learn in fact are: how to score, what a town is and how energy works, the rest is in front of you.

There are differences, which are based on who you pick, however the last page of the rulebook gives comprehensive info on these.

My wife is not a big fun of complicated games and this one is the game she enjoyed from the very beginning, so it proves the game is ok to understand. However it is deep and has various ways of beating the opponent. And does not have any significantly overpowered strategies (or at least I have not seen any yet). In this regard I would say it is more similar to the above-mentioned Tzolk'in: various paths to victory, management of resources (you always lack something) & its a euro, so it's about collecting points everywhere. Fun enough even for two and takes abt 30 mins\person, so is long enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's one of our favourite games, and plays well from 2 to 5 players. Yes, it takes maybe 30 minutes to learn all the details, but the game is not terribly complex. You'll get the hang of it quickly, and then you'll start to recognize what you're doing and how to play well.

It is a game of resource and action optimization. You want to maximize the number of points you get by carrying out every action in the best order possible. You'll feel this especially in the last round, where you try to figure out the best possible way to play out what you have. But, by backwards reasoning, every round becomes an exercise in optimization. Where TM shines is the simple act of changing the round bonuses every game, which leads to very different experiences. A different order/selection of bonuses make certain races better or worse than others, and make certain strategies better than others.

I don't find it terribly heavy. For reference, I find Agricola heavy, because it's always a struggle to do what you want to do and to get enough food. In TM, you're trying to optimize your actions (including the pre-game choice of race and scroll bonus), and while this does require some thought it just doesn't have the stress level of Agricola.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Kri
msg tools
Thanks for the reply guys, looks like I have to pick up a copy of this game

Daybreak wrote:

I don't find it terribly heavy. For reference, I find Agricola heavy, because it's always a struggle to do what you want to do and to get enough food. In TM, you're trying to optimize your actions (including the pre-game choice of race and scroll bonus), and while this does require some thought it just doesn't have the stress level of Agricola.

I agree with agricola beeing a heavy game. My group played agricola once and never touched the game again because of the stress with getting food all the time and never get the feeling you can do anything else than getting food.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aeos James
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
G'Day Tiger. How 'bout a game?
badge
https://www.facebook.com/BoardGameKnights
mbmbmbmbmb
Daybreak wrote:
It's one of our favourite games, and plays well from 2 to 5 players. Yes, it takes maybe 30 minutes to learn all the details, but the game is not terribly complex. You'll get the hang of it quickly, and then you'll start to recognize what you're doing and how to play well.

It is a game of resource and action optimization. You want to maximize the number of points you get by carrying out every action in the best order possible. You'll feel this especially in the last round, where you try to figure out the best possible way to play out what you have. But, by backwards reasoning, every round becomes an exercise in optimization. Where TM shines is the simple act of changing the round bonuses every game, which leads to very different experiences. A different order/selection of bonuses make certain races better or worse than others, and make certain strategies better than others.

Pretty accurate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mateusz Zygmunt
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like very much that in Terra Mystica there is almost none randomness. This allows you to pretty easily calculate what your opponents moves are going to be.

I had a few games of Eclipse where I practically lost at the beginning because I drew poor map tiles. I find both games great but for me Terra Mystica is a winner.

As others said, rules aren't difficult to teach. Game board does excellent job in reminding them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.