Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Olivier
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a gamer that is pretty short on cash. Because of this, I have long avoided 'collectible' games because to be competitive or have the most fun, you generally have to keep spending money.
Then X-wing came around. At first I figured it was going to be a 'licensed loser' kind of game, but it wormed its way to the back of my mind. I eventually started eyeing it in B&N, and was impressed that they used ships from the expanded universe. I kept up with it on BGG, and decided it was on my want list. My birthday was coming up, so I heavily hinted to my wife, and, low and behold, my birthday gift was a core set!

So with gift cards and christmas, most of what I have was 'free'.

1 core- gift
1 A wing - B&N gift card
1 Interceptor- remainder of gift card +$5
1 tie bomber - xmas gift
1 ywing - xmas gift
1 tie - b&n gift card
1 x-wing - amazon gift card from bing rewards + 1.70
1 core - target clearance $20

2 cores, 6 small expansions. Total out of pocket expense- $26.70
Retail value- $170
Divide my spent cash by # of ships - $2.23 per miniature. Not bad.

How about you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boby Bob
France
Nice
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With 2 base boxs, 30 ships (extentions), the 3 big ship (falcon, lambda and slave) plus the different stuff to carrie or prottect the game, i'm about 660€... more and less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am close to $1000.00 I have a battlefoam case,asteroids,maps,custom colored ships...etc etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jude007 wrote:
you generally have to keep spending money.

So far X-Wing has really avoided that. I mean yes the B-Wing is a great ship but you don't really need it to play and have an effective list.

But one of the things about it, is with the price and low model count, it seems like most people tend to collect lots of both sides. Something you'd never see in a game like Warhammer or even Warmachine. It's sooo easy to think "well it's only $15 for a ship, I got some extra cash this week..." then next thing you know you end up with a collection like this

4 A-Wings
4 B-Wings
4 X-Wings
4 Y-Wings
1 HWK-290
1 YT-1200

8 Tie Fighters
4 Tie Interceptors
4 Tie Bombers
2 Tie Advanced
1 Firespray 31
1 Lambada Shuttle

I think so far I've spent somewhere over $400-450 or so on it. But a good chunk of that was from selling off my Warhammer 40k Army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Gillespie
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Battle Foam Spartan Bag $90
Galforce 9 Map $40
(2) Core sets $80
2 each of the large ships $180
20 small Ships $300
Total Cost $690
Future Plans
3 large ships $90
Tantive IV $90
Rebel Transport $60
(2) Imperial Aces $60
(9) small Ships $135
Futre Plans $435

So before Wave 4 my investment will total $1,125

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's only $15... It's only $15... It's only $15... repeat forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len Luczkowski
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VanorDM wrote:
jude007 wrote:
you generally have to keep spending money.

So far X-Wing has really avoided that. I mean yes the B-Wing is a great ship but you don't really need it to play and have an effective list.

But one of the things about it, is with the price and low model count, it seems like most people tend to collect lots of both sides. Something you'd never see in a game like Warhammer or even Warmachine. It's sooo easy to think "well it's only $15 for a ship, I got some extra cash this week..." then next thing you know you end up with a collection like this

4 A-Wings
4 B-Wings
4 X-Wings
4 Y-Wings
1 HWK-290
1 YT-1200

8 Tie Fighters
4 Tie Interceptors
4 Tie Bombers
2 Tie Advanced
1 Firespray 31
1 Lambada Shuttle

I think so far I've spent somewhere over $400-450 or so on it. But a good chunk of that was from selling off my Warhammer 40k Army.

John, well said, and great point about buying both sides. I never thought twice about collecting both the Rebel and Imperial ships. Although that may have something to do with how cool the ships look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I have enough ships to recreate the Battle of Endor but I think for my peace of mind I'll refrain from making this calculation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hughes
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Core sets: 39.99 each
Large ship expansions: 29.95 each
Small ship expansions: 14.95 each

Best game EVER: Priceless

(In other words, I have embarrassingly large numbers of ships...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"How much did your collection cost?"

More than I'll admit to my wife and less than I invested in Kingdom Death

3 Base sets and 2 to 4 of each expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
redjack11 wrote:
Core sets: 39.99 each
Large ship expansions: 29.95 each
Small ship expansions: 14.95 each

Best gamer EVER: Priceless

That's what makes it even worse...

Go to Miniature Market and it's 2/3rd retail for everything. But then you have shipping on anything less then $100, so in order to save a few bucks, I'll add in that 1 or 3 extra ships I don't really need but can justify having to push the price up to the free shipping point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Test Candidate (sans Deadly Neurotoxin)
badge
Warming up the deadly neurotoxin...
mbmbmbmbmb
jude007 wrote:
How about you?

Must not look. Don't want to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a similar situation. My wife would simply not allow me to spend a significant amount of our money on this game, and I don't necessarily blame her. Most of my collection was a combination birthday/Father's Day gift from my family. I also used a couple of Visa gift cards for some ships. Actual MSRP of my collection is $320, and I'm probably stopping at what I have.

I did also spend about $30 out of pocket for some storage containers and $4 for a felt play mat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cordeiro wrote:
I'm in a similar situation. My wife would simply not allow me to spend a significant amount of our money on this game, and I don't necessarily blame her. Most of my collection was a combination birthday/Father's Day gift from my family. I also used a couple of Visa gift cards for some ships. Actual MSRP of my collection is $320, and I'm probably stopping at what I have.

I did also spend about $30 out of pocket for some storage containers and $4 for a felt play mat.

Yes, but have you SEEN how many bits and pieces come with the Transport?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Emerick
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
2x Core
2x X-Wing
4x TIE
4x TIE Adv
5x Y-Wing
6x A-Wing
6x TIE Into
3x YT-1300
3x Firespray
5x Imperial Shuttle
4x HWK-290
6x B-Wing
6x TIE Bomber

Also have 3 sets of Imperial Aces and two each of the Transport and Corvette on pre-order at the FLGS.

Love this game!

Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas White
United States
Pacific Grove
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gentlemen do not discuss the "cost" of their collections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swedge Swedge
msg tools
blark wrote:
at least not where their wives can read about it!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll admit, my original mental image of this thread was a little thriftier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex McKechnie
msg tools
mbmb
In general, I choose to support my local game store, so, with the exception of a few Target discounted Core Sets, a few Black Friday sale prices and one Miniatures Market deal I couldn't refuse, I've paid full retail for the whole enchilada. (oh! edit: I also won an A-Wing in a tourney!)

Not a problem for me, though. I have a well paying job and I'm already divorced.

I don't dare calculate what it's all been, but I just get a ship or two at a time and my budget absorbs it pretty easily. I'm sure if I did reckon the whole cost, it'd be well into the hundreds of dollars. Hell! I have over $100 in Millennium Falcons alone! (I like to modify models!)

--Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Huhtala
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gift:
Core
Y-wing x2
Tie Advanced

Total: $89.84

Bought:
Core
X-wing x2
Y-wing
TF x2
Tie Advanced
Tie Interceptor x3
Tie Bomber x2
A-wing x2
Millienium Falcon
Slave I
Moldy Crow x2
B-wing x3
Shuttle

Total: $398.94

Grand Total: $488.78

Not... as bad as I thought... kinda...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cat O\'Mighty
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blark wrote:

Nor do ladies.

Even if my wife doesn't visit gaming forums.

It's quite true that you do not need to spend a lot of money to enjoy the game, including to play competitively in tournaments. However, it is easy to spend a lot of money on it simply because it is such a great game and the toys are so awesome =^,^=

I've gotten more than ample entertainment value for my investment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
hmm....

Core Set x3
TIE Expansion x2 (1 won from tournament)
Xwing Expansion x2 (1 was a half-price "I quit" sale from someone)
TIEadv Expansion x2
Ywing Expansion x3 (regret getting the 3rd one, didnt use it at all in 100pts. Grabbed it in anticipation of the Blaster Turret, which was a complete disappointment)
Falcon Expansion x2 (I cant recall if i won the 2nd one or got it from some super discount)
Slave I Expansion x2 (both won from tournaments)
Awing Expansion x4
TIEint Expansion x4 (1 won from an event)
HWK Expansion x2
Shuttle Expansion x2
TIEbomber Expansion x4 (1 was a gift from a friend)
Bwing Expansion x3 (1 was from another "I quit" guy)

do support your local brick and mortar store. If you support them enough, they will host tournaments and events, and from there you can win some products as prizes, which does cut down on your spending somewhat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
jude007 wrote:
How about you?

Did you mean to ask: How much will your collection end up costing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cores: 160
Big Ships: 180
Single ships: 465
Future: 180
Storage: 50
Custom Home Mat: 20
Total: $1055

Granted, this is all MSRP. I have spent about 2/3 of that because I've bought most stuff from online retailers and 2 of my core sets were Target clearance.

DON'T TELL MY WIFE... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I honestly don't know how much I've spent. I could figure out the MSRP, of course, but somethings I've bought online for 10$ a ship, and others I paid a full 17$ for.

But I think the really important thing is I've never exceeded my "toys" budget at any given moment. With each wave I've done a large, online order (to amortise the cost of shipping over as many things as possible) and then the other things have been a ship here and two ships there and so on.

If I were to guess, I'd say 600 - 700 $, but I didn't spend that all at once, anymore than I spent the $3,000 - $4,000 my Transformers collection is worth all at once. Since I don't by X-Wing stuff all the time, it was probably less than 50$ a month, and I think that average is slowly dropping. (I also enjoy paining minis, and so I have, for example, 6 X-Wings, with plans to get more, just for the fun of repainting them. If I'd limited myself to what was actually likely to get used on the table, that total would be about $300-400.)

But really, the point where it's "spending too much" has much more to do with how much you're spending at once than it does with total dollar investment. That's what I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.