Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris johnson
United States
Oregon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
So, I have a question for the gamers that live where they are used to, umm tolerate, well actually just manage to get through cold weather.

I normally leave a game bag in the car when I go to work so I can have the games with me when I go to game night. I also sometimes forget to bring a game bag in when I get home.

Well, in my corner of the world they are forecasting highs of -6 F(-21Celsius) and lows of -20 F (-28Celsius)
Are there games that I should absolutely not leave in the car during this cold spell or will the games survive the cold.

I have a feeling that I should not have Super Dungeon Explore in the car because I wonder if the glue holding the minis together will fail.
Also, on games like War of the Ring (Second Edition) or Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game are would there be issues with the minis possible snapping in two because of the cold. I guess this would apply to games that have plastic bases for cardboard pieces like in King of Tokyo

Basically, I am wondering if there is a safe limit for leaving a game in the car.

On the reverse, should these same game not be left in a hot car when it is over 100 F (37Celsius).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thinking out loud here, but I wouldn't personally worry about the cold. I would worry about the hot though.

That being said, I have no personal exprience with either, as I don't see those extremes where I currently live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From Minneapolis where we've had some very cold weather this week. My trunk is full of games throughout the year and they are just fine. I do try to not leave my RPG books outside, though, as the binding doesn't seem to like the extreme temperatures.

The only problem I've noticed is a few game boards slightly warping while they are still cold. Once they warm up, they revert back to normal. I don't have any games with glued minis, so I can't speak to that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross W
United States
Studio City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Hot and humid seems much more dangerous for your games then cold. The only think I would think the cold might do is make the glue/plastic more brittle. If you left your stuff overnight in -30/-40 temps and the dropped them all on a tile floor, I could see a few pieces snapping off. Just give them time to warm up a bit, and I don't see what the problem would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep my games in a plastic tote, often leaving them in the car in really cold or hot weather. The only problem I've had to cope with is condensation and cardboard, but that's avoidable by opening the tote up and letting the air circulate as the games get to room temperature. I would suppose that extreme cold could make things more brittle, so I would be cautious with minis. That said, I doubt you'll have much problem.

I've had bigger problems with hot weather rather than cold, truthfully. The only time I had a major problem was when some soft drinks exploded onto a box that was next to it. It was cold enough to freeze the mess quickly, so I was left with only a little mess, but was a near miss. Since then, I used the plastic totes to keep my trunk segregated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ABS plastic (what LEGO bricks are made from - and many board game pieces) is known safe to as low as −4 °F, but many LEGO enthusiasts claim no problems with pieces being stored in cold as low as -20 °F for extended periods.

Heat, on the other hand, is a larger problem, as the parts will soften. For game pieces this wouldn't be as bad as with LEGO parts (which lose their "clutch"), but you should avoid temperatures over 120 °F or so if possible.

Moisture is likely your biggest culprit for paper and cardboard pieces, which (coupled with heat) could cause warpage or the game killer - mold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris johnson
United States
Oregon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all the responses. I wont feel bad leaving the games in the car this cold spell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I want to believe
badge
*distinctive theme song whistle*
mbmbmbmbmb
If you'd like the extra bit of comfort, you could tote them around in an insulated ice chest. As an added bonus, you could probably play a smaller game on top of the chest in a pinch meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, none of them is going to replace your game if something cracks or warps. So do whatever you feel comfortable with. I personally wouldn't leave games in my car at that temperature...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Austin
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With me here in the UK it's just continuously raining.... I've decided to make sure I take my games out of the boot simply because of all the damp in the boot...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
magicalgamer wrote:
On the reverse, should these same game not be left in a hot car when it is over 100 F (37Celsius).

Gloom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
I never leave my games in a cold car (for an extended period). When I go in they go in with me. I like having a warm feeling when I open them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The other Euro guy
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
-6? Really?

Games are safe in a car for weeks on end of -40.

You did realise he is talking about -6 degrees FAHRENHEIT?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katja Heetland
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
ReggieMcFly wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
-6? Really?

Probably is. I stored my monsterpocalypse collection in the cold, and i too dwell in minnesota.

Not a single problem with the plastic components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ReggieMcFly wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
-6? Really?

You did realise that -40° is the same in both Farenheit and Celsius?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I think the more important advice here isn't about storing games in the cold... It's that no one should live anywhere where it's 40 degrees below zero for weeks on end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The other Euro guy
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kactus04 wrote:
You did realise that -40° is the same in both Farenheit and Celsius?

Ooh, I like. Good fact!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick somers
United States
wyandotte
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch out for thieves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C K
United States
flag msg tools
Just to state the obvious...don't leave game's that have water filled items in them (like snow globes, compasses etc.) they'll freeze and burst. Also, any games that include electronics will need to be brought up to room temps before using or condensation can form on the inside circuits as they warm up electrically. LCD screens don't like the cold and neither do power cables. Those can get so stiff they snap...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't leave anything I care about in a vehicle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only issue with cold would be glued metal mini's (due to contraction of the metal breaking the glue). Some glues can have issues for other components under extreme cold, but it seems to me that as long as they aren't re-heated too rapidly afterwards they seem to be ok. (I'm also assuming no condensation moisture is occurring).

Extreme heat is much more of a concern, as it pretty much effects all component materials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that extreme highs or lows wouldn't be very good for games. If they are frozen and you happen to drop them, it is imaginable for parts to shatter. It is probably best to take them indoors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just be careful when taking them quickly from the cold into the warm as that's when condensation will work its evil magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.