Subject: And now the news (with polls) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you a news junkie? Can't get enough current events knowledge in your life?
I say pah! (and other things, but mainly "pah!")

Way back when I was living at home, we would get a newspaper delivered to the house every day that it was published. I would read the funny pages, check the sports scores that I cared about, and then wait for everyone else to abandon the thing and grab the crossword puzzle before it ended up in the "stack" in the garage.

My dad would read every article, on every page. Plus he watched the news on TV, often twice a day (6 pm and 11 pm).
My brother-in-law spends hours a day online reading news articles. When he is "on vacation", his day begins by going to the newstand and buying at least two newsprint newspapers. He has a newspaper subscription.
My best friend still gets actual newspapers delivered. Back in college days, there would be stacks of old papers-- months worth-- just collecting dust in the corner of his room.

Meanwhile, I get my news from the occasional David Letterman monologue (formerly Johnny Carson's).

Today's "news" is so bad that I actively avoid reading/ watching it. There is so much celebrity crap that isn't news but is being presented as such, it makes me want to gouge my eyes out.
Then there's the local weatherman, who gets 15 minutes of an hour to tell me what happened during the day that I just experienced and to lie about what is going to happen the next day (50% wrong), the day after (70% wrong), and days after that (90% wrong).
Finally, they give a sports guy five minutes to summarize six or seven leagues and game highlights, and it's over.

The only thing I do is listen to the radio, in the morning and evening, for traffic updates. Then I switch to music (or sports, sometimes).
Pah! I say. (Told you).

Poll
What are your views on the daily news?
  Yes No It's complicated
I buy an actual newsprint newspaper
I buy more than one actual newsprint newspaper
I subscribe to (buy) an online version of at least one newspaper
I read at least one newspaper online, for free
I use a web-based news page as part of my home browser
I listen to the news on the radio
I watch local news on local TV stations
I watch national and international news on a national TV network
I watch a dedicated "cable" news- style (24 hours news-only) program
      75 answers
Poll created by MABBY

Poll
If you do actively search for news in your life...
  Yes No It's complicated N/A
You have the wrong person here (do not vote in further polls, or choose N/A)
Newspaper: I read pretty much everything
Newspaper: I only read specific sections
Newspaper: I only follow particular columnists
Online: I read pretty much everything
Online: I only read specific sections
Online: I only follow particular columnists
Radio: I listen to pretty much everything
Radio: I only listen to particular items
TV: I watch pretty much everything that they show
TV: I only watch particular segments of the show
      46 answers
Poll created by MABBY

Poll
Assuming that you do watch/ listen/ read the news...
I prefer the good old newspaper format
I prefer an online format
I prefer the radio
I prefer the local television news
I prefer the national television news
      43 answers
Poll created by MABBY

Poll
What is your favorite part of the news that you get?
The news-- duh!
Celebrity crap Entertainment news
Weather
Sports
Other
Why am I still answering poll questions?
      50 answers
Poll created by MABBY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
I periodically check the world news and US news on the Guardian, verify that it is, indeed, the same shit on a different day, and then wait one or more weeks before checking again. I typically only scan the headlines, since most news articles don't actually contain much useful information outside of the headlines. The main body usually consists of a compendium of previous headlines for the story, punctuated by pointless quotes. Occasionally, if it's a genuinely new story, I'll obviously read the whole thing plus any other clearly "breaking" updates to the story. But, it's mostly the same shit on a different day, so reading the whole article isn't really necessary.

I used to subscribe to the RSS feed and I would read most of the articles but then I started to find that it really stressed the hell out of me, so I scaled back my reading significantly as a result. My current habits seem to work fine for me.

Probably fitting for my generation, I often first hear about breaking stories via aggregating blogs that don't necessarily focus on the news, like BoingBoing and Slashdot. Once I do, I search out full stories in various "proper" news sources.

I don't read print news, except for the free local paper they deliver to my apartment occasionally. It's full of all the hilarious local gossip like complaining about ugly garbage cans in the park and of pictures of local people (typically kids) standing next to the scene of a story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
badge
One other comment: in addition to all the annoying celebrity garbage, another annoyance is editorial masquerading as news. It seems that every news source has this problem from time to time.

Oh, and stories that are just obvious cut-and-paste jobs of press releases...grr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't answer consistently 'yes' to any of these, other than our local newspaper is delivered to our house daily.

I occasionally catch the local news and/or the national news on TV.

I wake up every morning to NPR, and usually have it on in the kitchen as I fix my lunch.

If something 'newsworthy' is happening, then I'm fixated to my computer and/or TV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I try to keep up with the BBC World Service's twice-daily podcasts of their Newshour program, as well as the more in-depth Documentary Archive and their daily 10-minute first-person accounts of "this day in history" program, Witness

I'll also listen to NPR's All Things Considered when it's on, and try to catch PBS' Newshour

In short, if ain't a public broadcaster, it's probably crap
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mb
I'm tired of all the Middle East news. Just nuke 'em all and be done with it.

I now turn off all violent news. I guess that means I don't watch much.

I enjoy the weather channel.

I like to receive local news. And news from all the little places I've been to.

I've been news'ed out over the years. Keep it local. That's what I need to know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I read on a daily basis the Austin American Statesmen. I usually get USA today about once a week or so, but am thinking about getting it delivered. I also like reading Variety on occasion.

On the radio I listen to only NPR, and on TV I only watch NBC nightly news, and our local news.

On glossies we get US weekly(wife), Real Simple(wife), Outside, and Backpacker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a mixed bag for me.

My main news source is NPR local/national, and BBC World news along with that, on the radio.

My secondary news source is Google news aggregation. I also have the BBC news as a RSS feed on my browser.

I also tend to watch local morning news broadcast (NBC) - mainly for the weather and traffic, but I often watch what's inbetween.

We get various print newspapers at the office in the kitchen, but I read them so rarely that I'd not really count them as a source.

I will watch 24-hour news (CNN, which used to be news but now has turned into the trial of the moment network) if some large event has happened. I'll have to see if they are still up to it the next time something happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Reprint wrote:

This is, by far, the most widely-held, most unapologetically evil sentiment I have ever encountered
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Chen
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
This looks tasty...
badge
Yuck!
mbmbmbmbmb
I get my news from three main sources:

CNN, bbcnews, and Al-Jazeera all online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I primarily get my news from Google News, NPR (only during my commute), and the Daily Show and Colbert Report (which are heavily editorial, but I'll usually follow up with real news sources on interesting stories).

I'm not sure how to categorize the last two, or whether they even count as legitimate news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fiscus
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"I got home last night and I was tired. I didn't want to watch the news, so I watched Fox." - The Capitol Steps, as heard on NPR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mb
toku42 wrote:
Reprint wrote:

This is, by far, the most widely-held, most unapologetically evil sentiment I have ever encountered
And you are right, I won't apologize for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
I attempted to watch the nightly network news recently and was disappointed (but not surpised) to see that what used to be at least an attempt at real news has been usurped by 30 minutes of weather, YouTube videos, and wacky internet photos. There is no longer any actual journalistic content on the nightly national news.

Combine that with my local news which goes like this:
Car Crash
Weather
Local Sports Teams
Human Interest Puff Piece
End

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don’t know what he laced them with, but I’ve been tripping all day.
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to subscribe to a newspaper so I could read the comics, but haven't for several years since I started using on-line subscriptions to two different services. I would also skim the headlines and read articles that interested me, but haven't missed that since I dropped the paper.

I tend to ignore national and international news as neither one affects me directly, except on very rare occasions.

I watch one of the local channels for the 10pm news, mostly to get a different take the weather than the "weather widget" on my laptop.

I get my national and international news from watching Leno's monologue, or Letterman when Leno is a repeat. Guess I'll be getting it from Fallon in a few weeks. Never cared for O'Brien (was glad when he left the Tonight Show) and since we don't have cable, I don't watch him or any of the other talk shows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.