Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a quick idea to combine MK with the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set leveling up and linked scenarios mechanic:

1) Play MK as normal, at a desired difficulty and the scenario you like
2) if you beat the scenario, you can proceed to the next scenario, which is the scenario you like but at increased difficulty (the second scenario should be twice as difficult as the first, the third should be twice as difficult as the second, and so on)
3) in between scenarios, you need to rebuild your deck, using the following rules:
- the deck is made of 16 cards
- you can substitute a Basic action card with an advanced action card or spell, of the same "color"
- artifacts replace any type of card
- units are all discarded
- skills are kept

This variant should provide the players with satisfactory linked scenarios, and a deck building me antic similar to Pathfinder.

I haven't tried it, but I don't see how it can go wrong.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Wild
United States
Barnet
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As with lots of ideas about carrying over scenarios in MK, or some kind of campaign mode, the main obstacle is how to increase the difficulty of subsequent scenarios. It's hard to carry over skills, cards, artifacts, etc. without throwing the game out of balance.

Instead of 1 rampaging enemy are there 2? Do you decrease rewards? Increase fame per level up? Increase cost of units? There's lots of ideas, but it starts to become a tangled mess of keeping everything in balance. It requires lots of playtesting I'm sure.

So game balance is the main place linking scenarios could go wrong... and not an obstacle to be taken lightly. Otherwise you end up with an OP character, which removes the tension and tough decisions from the game. Which is the strength of this game altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea however but I can see shortcomings of this variant.

Just a small question: how is the balance maintained in Pathfinder?

P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Put bluntly, if a campaign mode is important to you, then MK is the wrong game for you.

The game is very carefully balanced, even a couple of Advanced Actions or an Artifact on a starting character completely throw it off. The second scenario would be a walkthrough, and the 3rd trivially easy - and you have no easy way to balance that without completely redesigning the scenarios (and you can't double city strength that way unless you start with it really low!).

Essentially, if that's what you are set on, you are writing a custom scenario book. A one line solution that you have just doesn't cut it.

Ikim wrote:

I haven't tried it, but I don't see how it can go wrong.

Honestly I don't see how anything can go right here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if you just mixed all the Pathfinder and Mage knight cards together and add location decks to the map? It would be KAH-crazy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.