Adam P. McIver
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm Adam P. McIver, and I designed Coin Age.

Late last night I received an email from Michael Mindes pointing me to the Wallet Battles campaign currently running on Kickstarter. My initial reaction was an entire wave of emotions that could possibly be vocalized as, "Oh what hahaha hmm grrr eh hmm well... grrr lol uhhh hmm blarg."

My public response was to immediately back the project and leave a perfectly friendly comment (which has since been removed):

Let's dig a little bit deeper.

YES, the Pay-What-You-Want model and pledge levels are identical to Tasty Minstrel's, and the wording is practically the same:

YES, the stretch goal graphic, colors, and aesthetic is basically lifted from the one I designed for the campaign (even though other images on the page prove he has some graphic skill and could have easily done something different):

YES, he has since revised the introduction to his campaign page in a way I think "doth protest too much":

YES, a lot of hard work goes into creating a game, meticulously playtesting it, refining it, finalizing it, negotiating with a publisher, getting a Kickstarter campaign ready, launching it, promoting it, running it, interacting with it, etc. etc.

YES, I feel like someone has piggybacked on all our hard work and threw together a cash-grab campaign trying to capitalize on Coin Age's overwhelming success. YES, I feel like it is an inferior product that certainly hasn't had nearly as extensive a development cycle. YES, I am annoyed and a little bit hurt.

NO, I don't think we're going to do anything about it. As plenty of people have pointed out at this point, the guy's rules and product are different enough that he has done nothing legally wrong. They are different games and will provide you with different play experiences. Our hobby/industry obviously involves a LOT of idea sharing. Game mechanics are taken and recycled and reused over and over. There are games that are homages to originators, games that are derivative, and games that are near carbon copies. The community generally polices and decides which are which, and it works for the most part, and when all is said and done the general consensus will determine where this falls.

Look, some people are worms, there's no denying it. But for every worm out there generally griming everything up, there are two or three beautiful birds singing pretty bird songs and flying about majestically and other bird analogies.

People have responded to this situation in a way I totally support: by making lots of funny jokes. (Those are links. Click them. They are funny.)

The gaming community is amazing. Dozens of people have rallied behind me in various ways, and I'm humbled that anyone cares enough to do so. Thank you. Let's all hug at a con sometime. One giant, sweaty, smelly, loving embrace.

One thing I don't want is for this Wallet Battles guy to get dragged through the mud and relentlessly internet shamed. It's all too easy for "standing up for the underdog" to quickly turn into "harassing the misguided". When someone does something crummy they deserve to be called out and then walked away from. I realize by posting this and linking to the campaign it's giving him more exposure and most likely more backers. That's fine by me. Hey, maybe you'll even like his version better. Or maybe you'll play Coin Age on his maps.

Anyway, those're my two cents. PUNS!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
ad7m wrote:

People have responded to this situation in a way I totally support: by making lots of funny jokes. (Those are links. Click them. They are funny.)

Viva Java Vars! Now that's funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Brenton
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very glad to hear you weigh in on the matter, Adam. I'm a Coin Age backer (3 copies) & I was very disappointed to see Wallet Battles appear. Probably not illegal, but, in my thinking, very unethical. And lame.

You've made a great game. I've been showing off my P&P copy to all the guys in my gaming group, & they're very impressed with how much game play you've squeezed into such a small footprint. All "the other guy" has done is squeezed in LESS game play on his cheap copy.

I think you're wise to not pursue the matter. I very much agree that the community will sort things out properly when it's all said & done. The cream always rises to the top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leder
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You're a class act, Adam. You have been given a forum to discuss the matter, and you did so with way, way more respect, humility, and tact than would be expected.

Sharing and even mimicking game mechanics is an everyday part of the game design industry. But the wholesale ripping off of essentially a new and undiscovered way to put those mechanics together, along with the piggybacking of a Kickstarter campaign so close to a hugely successful finish of the original? That's beyond the pale, and it is utterly shameful.

I commend you again on how you responded -- even the first post on his KS was restrained -- and wish you all the success and donuts you can handle in 2014.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fischer
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pie Factory Designer
badge
Co-founder of Nevermore Games. Follow me on Twitter @bryanfischer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fischer
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pie Factory Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Kickstarting a brand new super-micro game next Friday!

LintAge! All you need is some pocket lint!
PLEASE NOTE: Prototype components are shown, I will hire a graphic designer if we hit the stretch goals.

This is a totally new concept! It's a pocket lint area control game. I want to target it to less well-off gamers who may not have any pocket change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mb
These parodies are absolutely delicious.

Please feel free to help me catalog them for posterity:
Games that are NOT Coin Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kosongz Toh
Malaysia
Borneo Island
Sarawak
flag msg tools
You have to learn the rules of the game.
badge
And then you have to play better than anyone else.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryan Fischer wrote:

Quick! Launch a campaign now. This has 100% more originality that that wallet crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Fischer
United States
Chester
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Pie Factory Designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kosongz wrote:
Bryan Fischer wrote:

Quick! Launch a campaign now. This has 100% more originality that that wallet crap.

You know what? You're right, I should do it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chevee Dodd
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter should launch soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ad7m wrote:
One thing I don't want is for this Wallet Battles guy to get dragged through the mud and relentlessly internet shamed.

Dang it! I guess I'll have to find someone else to shame relentlessly. Hmmm, my wife won't be home for another 4 hours... Maybe someone on Facebook has posted a pic of a plate of food that I can comment on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Burke
United States
Belmont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
CartoonAge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Theuerkaufer
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed Coin Age without having seen the KS video. I did it today and enjoyed it for the little jokes in it. Thanks for a great campaign and it is good to see your political wise statement in here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kosongz Toh
Malaysia
Borneo Island
Sarawak
flag msg tools
You have to learn the rules of the game.
badge
And then you have to play better than anyone else.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tinyelvis wrote:
CartoonAge!

Wow! That is original. I have never seen anything like that. Conquering characters instead of land. Do we slap or flip coins for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wocken
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Freelance Game Graphic Designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But what about BrainAge? You know, the two-player game where one player is Alzheimers and the other person plays higher brain functions.

Also, please do not forget that the image is vertical, so that's different as well.

–Peter Wocken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Don't be hurt, Adam. Your game is getting a dime store knock off, that's a compliment. This won't be terribly successful outside of civil war souvenir shops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bowker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the photo shop skills like the previous posts but I've got the concept already developed.

baconLOIN AGEbacon
Butcher your way for control of the most desired parts of your favorite animal.

Stretch Goal Animals already planned!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P. McIver
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, now when I start to release info for my prototype "Fantasy Butcher" (which I am actually working on) people will say I'm knocking off your knock off! I can't win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of feel like all these parody maps need to be made a reality now...

Regardless of whether or not he ripped off of you or not, you have the better of the two games, and I think time will prove it. Coin Age is a well-polished game, and in my opinion the most innovative release of 2013. Having read over the rules to Wallet Battle, I'm not sure there's even really much of a game there.

Ironically enough, I think all this controversy has actually helped Wallet Battle's campaign. There's no such thing as bad publicity, as they say. If this guy manages to make a couple hundred/thousand bucks selling his game, good for him. In the long run, it probably won't affect sales of Coin Age at all. And if people back/buy Wallet Age and have fun with it, well I suppose good for them (I do feel bad for people backing Wallet Battles thinking they can use the card as a bonus map for Coin Age, I don't think it's going to be that fun of a map to play Coin Age on).

Adam/TMG - Keep making cool games like Coin Age. Don't sweat the small stuff like this And more wub wub.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff King
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If only the Kickstarter was still going! Because all of the comments here seem to be supplying you with a lifetime supply of stretch goals!! ;-}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is not Coin Age. It is also not Busen Memo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Collins
United States
Seymour
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
@majmalfunction
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is still in rough Alpha stage.

Drug Age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Glover
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
  • [+] Dice rolls
SQ
United States
Show Low
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Trash Pandas - launching on Kickstarter July 6th, 2017!
mb

Here is my latest project, coincidentally.

Bonus - it features original artwork from the famous Adam P. McIver!

Cha-ching!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.