Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Recently I was auditing the collection I've entered into the database, and for a few titles found it a bit obnoxious to review what I own due to the abundance of "fan expansions" listed in the search results.

For the results that come back for Ticket to Ride, 38 of them are fan expansions, which is more than the actual expansions.

I would like to have an option to never see these products come back in my search results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur, although I've given up on expecting such things. Personally, I couldn't care less about print & play, and wish I could banish it all from BGG. But others like it, so I'm resigned to its existence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I agree, at least to the extent of not being mixed in with the published products. These fan expansions should be all in the file section if you ask me....but that's not what I'm asking for because I can see that war has already been waged.

I think a filtering option would be the best way to balance the equation, as apparently some people really like this stuff. It's actually hard to use the search results to accomplish my task right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Personally, I couldn't care less about print & play, and wish I could banish it all from BGG. But others like it, so I'm resigned to its existence.

How do you define what is PNP, though? If it's anything not published by a real publisher you'd lose a good amount of respectable modern abstracts that way, for instance.

apotheos wrote:
These fan expansions should be all in the file section if you ask me....

This I can sympathize with to some extent at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
curtc wrote:
Personally, I couldn't care less about print & play, and wish I could banish it all from BGG. But others like it, so I'm resigned to its existence.

How do you define what is PNP, though? If it's anything not published by a real publisher you'd lose a good amount of respectable modern abstracts that way, for instance.

How do we define anything on the geek? User moderated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

Then imagine the reaction when someone gets an "arty" photo declined, raised to the power of a whole game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
curtc wrote:

Then imagine the reaction when someone gets an "arty" photo declined, raised to the power of a whole game.

It's not about approving/declining submissions. It's about categorization. And that categorization is already being done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
So then you would filter out designers that do provide materials for their designs... but not those who don't? I'm not sure which problem is being solved here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
So then you would filter out designers that do provide materials for their designs... but not those who don't?

Where'd that come from? I said nothing about designers vs non-designers. Maybe I'm not even following what you're saying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Well, I'm trying to not assume too much about what it is you want, but Eddie was talking about fan expansions, and you expressed a desire to get rid of "such things", exemplified with print and play games. So I guess that roughly encompasses stuff that's unpublished, web published, or (depending on how low you set the bar) self published? If that's the goal, then pointing to the print and play category (even if it's just to show that a distinction can be made, but note that this system is not user moderated) seems to me like a blunt instrument likely to get rid of things at the wrong end of the spectrum of non-real-gameness. All else being equal I would think a game with available rules and printable materials would be considered more rather than less "real". What I can say with certainty is that there are many in the abstract community who would be opposed to the idea that their games don't properly belong in BGG alongside traditional and published modern abstracts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
Well, I'm trying to not assume too much about what it is you want
This:
curtc wrote:
I couldn't care less about print & play, and wish I could banish it all from BGG.

Kaffedrake wrote:
but Eddie was talking about fan expansions, and you expressed a desire to get rid of "such things"

Looks like you misunderstand my use of "such things". I said "I've given up on expecting such things", referring to encancements to BGG to allow "such things" as "an option to never see these products come back in my search results."

Kaffedrake wrote:
So I guess that roughly encompasses stuff that's unpublished, web published, or (depending on how low you set the bar) self published?

I'm sure someone can come up with a better definition than I can, but as a first stab I'd say that if the game ever has been manufactured and sold in a physical incarnation, or has reasonable plans to be, then it's not PnP.

Kaffedrake wrote:
If that's the goal, then pointing to the print and play category (even if it's just to show that a distinction can be made, but note that this system is not user moderated) seems to me like a blunt instrument likely to get rid of things at the wrong end of the spectrum of non-real-gameness.

Nobody's suggesting getting rid of them... except for the users who don't want to see them. I don't understand how that can possibly be a bad thing to anyone.

Kaffedrake wrote:
All else being equal I would think a game with available rules and printable materials would be considered more rather than less "real".

So you obviously wouldn't use this feature. That's fine.

Kaffedrake wrote:
What I can say with certainty is that there are many in the abstract community who would be opposed to the idea that their games don't properly belong in BGG alongside traditional and published modern abstracts.

If you are referring to people who either produce or consume print-n-play abstracts, I have no reason to doubt your claim. That doesn't change that I am opposed to all the print-n-play stuff clogging up search results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Looks like you misunderstand my use of "such things".

Yeah, I misread that, though only after going back to try to make sense of the exchange.

Quote:
Nobody's suggesting getting rid of them... except for the users who don't want to see them.

Well, "banish it all from BGG" could be misunderstood.

Quote:
I don't understand how that can possibly be a bad thing to anyone.

If BGG was somehow perfectly customizable then sure, it wouldn't be a problem. I just have my doubts about any practical implementation: the distinction between published and unpublished is not just a matter of classification, it's a sliding scale from big name companies like FFG to niche companies like Winsome to print on demand services like Print & Play Productions to people assembling the occasional copy in their garage (because of Kickstarter or otherwise) to people just throwing some files onto the internet to people who don't even finish what they submit. Filtering out PNP specifically wouldn't chop this pyramid off cleanly as much as take out a somewhat arbitrary holey wedge of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
Quote:
Nobody's suggesting getting rid of them... except for the users who don't want to see them.

Well, "banish it all from BGG" could be misunderstood.

Sorry. Yes, that was indeed misleading. I just meant "for me", and others like the OP who don't appreciate it and would opt-in to such a feature.

Kaffedrake wrote:
If BGG was somehow perfectly customizable then sure, it wouldn't be a problem. I just have my doubts about any practical implementation:

Me too! Which was my point in my very first sentence in this thread. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Me too! Which was my point in my very first sentence in this thread. laugh

I thought that one referred to feature requests! I may be projecting here (return exact matches first in search results, grumble grumble etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very much agree. I will most likely never use a fan expansion, and on some games there are a lot to wade through.

Fan expansions are already grouped by the fan expansion category, so the data is already there to work with.

And the advanced search screen already has an option to exclude all expansions, so it seems feasible to add an extra check box there to exclude just fan expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.