Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Kirchhoff
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been loving' on this game for the last couple of days...kiss

Wouldn't it be great if FFG could use some of those sweet Star Wars Art assets they've amassed and create a version of Diskwars in the Star Wars universe?

I'd hope on my unicorn and head right down to my FLGS and buy 2 copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S G
United States
Essex Junction
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To each his own.....but I hate Star Wars and am saddened to see it become like a certain brand of hot sauce: we put that [bleep] on everything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Velkov
Bulgaria
Doganovo
Elin Pelin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bkirchhoff wrote:
I have been loving' on this game for the last couple of days...kiss

Wouldn't it be great if FFG could use some of those sweet Star Wars Art assets they've amassed and create a version of Diskwars in the Star Wars universe?

I'd hope on my unicorn and head right down to my FLGS and buy 2 copies.

If you mean space battles, I think it is highly unlikely, cause in my view that would be canibalizing of the X-Wing miniatures, so I really doubt it. On the other hand they might do Star Wars Land Battles, but I dont think it would be as populars.

I personally would like to see some 40k warhammer, but I dont see an easy way to circumvent the randomness in shooting and the fact that both the starwars land and the Warhammer 40k are ranged combat mostly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kirchhoff
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I was referring to Land battles.

I'd played around with skinning Dust Warfare in the Star Wars universe using figures/units from the WotC Star Wars minis.... but this game is so simple, compact, and fun. Love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Gerke
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
The Star Wars IP is perfect for this type of system.

Factions: I'm not too familiar with the Star Wars lore, but I do know that there are two main factions, Rebellion and Imperial, just like order and chaos in the Warhammer game. There are also unique races of aliens within those factions, so you could use the same model for army building that's already in place.

Ranged Combat: Diskwars is strongly about melee combat at its core, so you don't want it in a universe that has super powerful ranged weapons that would skew the gameplay dramatically. Luckily, in the SW universe, despite having highly advanced technology, blaster weapons aren't that strong. They take down storm troopers and Ewoks well enough, but Jedi deflect them and droids have impervious shields.

Melee Combat: Even with all the sci-fi-ness of the franchise, Star Wars still has loads of fantasy sword fighting, so this makes sense to the gameplay.

Heroes: SW has loads of characters, and a cult fan following, so this would easily be the most fun part of the game to design, and have limitless possibilities. I just want an Admiral Ackbar hero disk with the special keyword ability "Worthless".

Special Abilities/Magic: This isn't as opened ended as in a traditional fantasy genre, but you still have your force push/pull/lightning/jump/whatever else.

Vehicles: This would be sort of a combination of cavalry and siege weapons from the current game. You could even develop a system where your small units could ride in them, and some units could have a "Pilot" ability that would give bonuses if they're in a Snowspeeder or whatever.

Expansions: There are quite a few characters and races in the genre, so there should be tons of directions to take it. Have different expansions featuring different versions of Luke, Han, Vader, etc. Plus there's more movies coming out so there's that.

I'm not even much of a fan of Star Wars, but the genre and the Diskwars system do seem an easy fit. I'm thinking they're at least going to expand the Warhammer version because they did just announce the Season One Tournament Kits. When I played Warhammer: Fantasy, Vampire Counts were my army of choice, so I'm holding out for that. Love me some undeads. Thanks for reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Johnson
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I'd like to see a space battle version of the game, with large captial ships. Either Battlefleet Gothic, Star Wars or Twilight Imperium.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron s
msg tools
jasongerke wrote:
Melee Combat: Even with all the sci-fi-ness of the franchise, Star Wars still has loads of fantasy sword fighting, so this makes sense to the gameplay.

If we stick with the theory that FFG only has the original trilogy rights, there is not that much melee combat beyond Luke and Vader.

Anyway, if for some reason they were going to do another one rather than just put all their effort into expansion of this one, I would far far far prefer 40K over anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Kirchhoff
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syphus wrote:
If we stick with the theory that FFG only has the original trilogy rights, there is not that much melee combat beyond Luke and Vader.

Hello...? Ewoks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syphus wrote:
jasongerke wrote:

The card game has pretty much established that they have at the very least EU material available. There are plenty of melee units that they could make
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey Velkov
Bulgaria
Doganovo
Elin Pelin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane wrote:

The card game has pretty much established that they have at the very least EU material available. There are plenty of melee units that they could make

I have to disagree with that - every major movie battle - at least three of those have mostly ranged units, with the occasional jedy here and there.
It could be possible to pull something like Disk Wars - Star Wars Duels but you cannot have Star Wars Land Battles and have mostly melle units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Syphus wrote:
If we stick with the theory that FFG only has the original trilogy rights

That's already been disproven. The miniatures game has elements from the prequel trilogy and the Expanded Universe, and the LCG has elements from the Expanded Universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilightling wrote:
Darksbane wrote:

I have to disagree with that - every major movie battle - at least three of those have mostly ranged units, with the occasional jedy here and there.
It could be possible to pull something like Disk Wars - Star Wars Duels but you cannot have Star Wars Land Battles and have mostly melle units.

I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. They have access to the EU and in the EU there are plenty of melee units to draw from
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Look
United States
Coventry
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife was hit up to do some art for the Star Wars LCG years ago, and unless something has changed since then, FFG does not have the rights to make Star Wars board games When she got the offer they were very clear with only having the rights to card games, miniatures, and roleplaying games. So I have to assume that Hasbro still has the rights to board games, as even WOTC never did any SW board games. While it might play like a minis game, I think Diskwars falls pretty squarely into the "board game" category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how anyone could consider this a board game. You yourself said it plays like a minis game, it has no board, and components wise it is identical to X-Wing with the exception of the actual minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the fact that it does not have minis pretty much is the reason why it is not a boardgame. Maybe we could have game of thrones diskwars?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Ryan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mega-bump. Today Miniature Market is taken pre-orders for the Force Awakens X-Wing expansion. I bet they have rights elsewhere in the trilogy as well.

Land battles wouldn't be hard to do, especially with force duels between Jedi/Sith heroes. The big difference between WH:DW and SW:DW would be in that the heroes would have a larger range of abilities. I could easily see a Darth Maul with Force Push and Force Throw as ranged attacks (the former only pushes the target back, the latter is a projectile attack), and a light saber melee attack.

Otherwise, yes, Melee attacks would not be the norm unless walkers overran infantry positions. The game would be more focused on finding cover, outflanking and getting priority on line-of-sight. It's not too different from Classic Battletech then (yes, there were rules for melee attacks, no we didn't use them much because range made sense), but I don't see that as a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Bottorff
msg tools
mb
I think there are other IP or genre which Diskwars mechanics fit better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.