2 Posts

Expedition: Northwest Passage» Forums » Rules

Subject: Creating Spaces That Cannot Be Filed by Any Tile rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering about situations in which someone places a tile so as to leave some space that cannot be filled by any tile provided in the game.

This can happen even if the space in question is quite open (i.e., not a single square that would be filed in automatically with a small tile).

Let me explain.

Each small tile in the game is a single square with four single sides. Each single side has two parts, and each part is always either all land or all water. (As a result, a single side could be all land, all water, or half and half.)

The large tiles are similar, but they have two single sides (each with two parts) and two double sides (each with four parts).

(As has been discussed elsewhere, tiles must be aligned based on single sides and not based on these smaller parts.)

Now, consider any corner of any tile. The corner has two sides, one single and one that is either single or double, depending on whether the tile is small or large. The two sides that form the corner each have a "part" (as I've called it above) that actually touches the corner.

For every tile in the game, these two parts are either both land or both water.

It is possible to place tiles so that the sides of a space could not be filled with any tile with this property. Consider the following situation:

The tile in the center right (with the strait) was just placed. There is now no tile in the game that will into the square below the tile containing the black ship.

According to the game, that square will be filled in only when the four square around it are all filled (only two are filled in now). At the point, the rules specify that it be filled automatically with a small tile. Since there will be no small tiles that match the space, the joker side will be used.

Is this the intent of the rules? I guess that I had though of the Joker sides as being used when certain tiles ran out - not to replace tiles that don't exist. (In fact, the rules say "The sea and land areas of a tile on the Joker side correspond to the sea and land areas of the tile the Joker replaces." That suggests that the Joker sides exist just to replace real tiles.)

It seems that the placement like that of the illustrated strait tile could slow down exploration in one part of the board. One could even imagine situations in which this happens to two adjacent squares. In that case, they will never be filled in.

I wonder whether tile placement that leads to situations like this (e.g., the placement of the illustrated strait tile) should be disallowed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dhc3po pointed out that the rule explicitly forbid this (and illustrate it in Example 6).

Sorry for the waste of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.