Subject: Where can I find video reviews that talk less about rules? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R M
New Zealand
Welly
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering where I can watch video reviews of games where the focus is NOT on how to play the game? I watch a lot of the top 'thumbed' reviews (Dice Tower etc.) and these ALWAYS spend 10-15 minutes explaining how the game works then about 1 minute is spent saying "I liked/dis-liked this game because..." I've found myself more and more skipping 99% of these videos just to hear the opinions at the end.

I'm struggling to understand how these 'overviews' can even be called 'reviews'.

I'd like to see reviews talk more about why its good, why their group enjoyed it, why some people might not enjoy it, why its worth the money etc etc... I'd like to find some reviews that are opinion heavy and have had the boring fact fat trimmed away.

Surely there is something like this out there and I just haven't found it yet???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, that's the thing I look for most in a video review: a gameplay walkthrough.

Not having a gameplay walkthrough would be like a video game review without any gameplay footage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stevenson
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Maximus - Male - Evil - Half-Orc - Knight
badge
Green ooze gurgles in a barrel. Do you wish to dunk and search?
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Shut Up & Sit Down (http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/.) Their reviews really focus on how the game should make you feel and what types of things you'll be doing, rather than getting bogged down in rules explanations. Additionally, Their sense of humor makes the episodes very entertaining to watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are but they're fairly rare. In fact I've heard several people who have submitted reviews say they've gotten rejected because they only gave their opinion and didn't describe the game rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I was recently daydreaming about my ideal video reviews for games. If I had the technology and time.....

I'd do a review that would have several parts, with the times posted, so viewers could skip to the part/s that interested them:
-Overview of game, goals, winning conditions
-Components demonstration and explanation
-Sample round of gameplay showing several players with a voice-explanation of the game turn/s
-Review/opinion of game, why it was/wasn't good/fun, player count differences (if any), and replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Williams
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mb
I second Shut Up & Sit Down. Brilliant show and not just a rules dump.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Pollheim
Germany
Troisdorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Rahdo and his walkthroughs. If you don't want to see his fun-sloppy camera movement during the walkthrough though, you can enjoy his head next to the gamebox and just watch the conclusion.

i like both anyway meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R M
New Zealand
Welly
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just watched a couple Shut up and Sit Down. Definitely closer to what I was thinking. Cheers for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you're a rules nerd, shut up sit down is definitely my favourite review show. They spend a little time on selected rules, just enough to give you a taste of what gameplay will be like, but the bulk of the review is spent explaining WHY the game is enjoyable or not, which is what I'm really after when looking for reviews. I don't always agree with their opinions, but it's always entertaining.

TableTop is more of a playthrough with "celebrity" guests, but I always enjoy it - just by watching a group of people playthrough the game, I can get a pretty good sense of whether I would enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shut Up and Sit Down is my fave as well.

Personally though, I agree that watching a review and not knowing how the game works is a bit sketchy. The reviewer may very well love a concept in the game that I personally would find dreadful, and often I find the rules explaination the selling point more than what the review actually thought of the game.

Much like music and movies... I'm going to want to know WHY that product would appeal to me, rather than what some dude thinks of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
stagger lee wrote:
Much like music and movies... I'm going to want to know WHY that product would appeal to me, rather than what some dude thinks of it.
I've watched reviews where the reviewer (some dude) says why the theme and mechanics don't work for him...

And I realize that the game was meant for ME, not him.

A negative review, if done well, can have the opposite effect, ironically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EgorjLileli wrote:
Funny, I was recently daydreaming about my ideal video reviews for games. If I had the technology and time.....

I'd do a review that would have several parts, with the times posted, so viewers could skip to the part/s that interested them:
-Overview of game, goals, winning conditions
-Components demonstration and explanation
-Sample round of gameplay showing several players with a voice-explanation of the game turn/s
-Review/opinion of game, why it was/wasn't good/fun, player count differences (if any), and replayability.

Sounds like UndeadViking's reviews. Personally, I can learn how a game works by reading the rulebook. I go to reviews to find out how well executed the game is. Knowing the rules can only tell you so much if it isn't entirely deterministic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greame Johnston
United Kingdom
East Grinstead
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. I've found that, video or written, too many reviewers get hung up on extended rules explanations leading to bone dry viewing/reading experiences: the main reason why I stopped reading 'counter'. SU&SD is the antithesis of this. However, and I realise you're looking for video reviews, check out what Michael Barnes has to say over at 'cracked LCD'. He might piss you off from time to time when he goes 'off piste' but he's spot on when approaching games reviewing. Also, try DownTown Time video reviews by Bob Florence, a fellow Glaswegian with a great sense of humour (real shame he doesn't do more).

P.S. I'm strangely drawn to BGG user Calendale's musings...despite (or maybe because of) the wtf pipe smokin', whiskey drinkin' stream of consciousness hippy thing he's got going I watch his reviews regularly (not so much his walkthroughs). He knows what he's talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely SUSD. Their reviews are more about the ideas of the game and how the experience is (as others here have said).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just skip to the end. I just move the scroll bar until I stop seeing the game board, to hear the reviewer's opinion at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin S.
United States
Wautoma
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Shut Up and Sit Down are my favorite but I also like Starlit Citadel. Their videos have gameplay info but the entire video is usually only 6 minutes or so so it's not extensive. They give good analysis of why they like a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try Rahdo's reviews. I love that he seperates them in 3 parts where you can just watch his opinion if you don't care for the game play or components!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.