Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group had our first play through last night and we had a few questionable maneuvers that should have ended our turn on the same square as an enemy ship. Is this possible and if so what are the drawbacks of this situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes... they can be on the same square.

Drawbacks... well, you are going to get locked onto and shot at no matter what the die roll is. (not a big deal if the enemy already had a lock.)

BOb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Peacock

Washington
msg tools
mb
On the plus side, your torpedoes fire from the zero line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
On the minus side, when they fire at you they hit a random shield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Gould
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Painkeeper wrote:

I thought they hit the shield side they entered from?

(At work, nowhere near the rulebook to check)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anyGould wrote:
Painkeeper wrote:

Remember, Your ship moves first, then fires, then enemies lock on, move, fire.

So if your ship moves into the same square as the enemy, the enemy doesn't move... in this case it will hit a random side of the ship when it attacks.

BOb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hildreth
msg tools
pilotbob wrote:
anyGould wrote:
Painkeeper wrote:

Remember, Your ship moves first, then fires, then enemies lock on, move, fire.

So if your ship moves into the same square as the enemy, the enemy doesn't move... in this case it will hit a random side of the ship when it attacks.

BOb

Sorry to bring up an older thread, but I felt that the thread's resulting conclusion is incorrect. I think the rules are ambiguous on this.

The rules say...

Quote:

If the enemy ship entered the same space as the players the damage hits the shield that faced the enemy ship just before it moved into the same space as the players. If it began the turn in the same space as the players the damage is done on a random side of the ship.

So, if the enemy enters your zone on the turn that it fires at you, you take damage on the side that the enemy entered from. If you were both in the same zone at the start of the turn, then a random side is chosen. However, the rules are ambiguous as to what happens if you move and end your movement in an enemy's space (the enemy didn't technically "enter" your space, nor were you in the same zone at the beginning of your turn). Our interpretation of this is that you get hit on the side facing the enemy when you moved into the enemy's zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
I disagree with your interpretation, and agree with BOb's.

I interpret the rules as if it began it's turn... as in Step 7, not the entire turn starting on Step 1. Your interpretation of turn seems too strict.

Because it you look at it in terms of the entire turn, then when would you run into a case where the enemy began the entire turn in your space instead of you moving into it? If you started, left and returned? If you stayed crashed against the edge of the map? If you were speed one and all you did was evade and stayed still? Those are all rare occurrences. It seems unlikely such a rule was devised for something so rare, but ignores the much more common instance where I may fly on top of an enemy ship.

Using your strict start of the turn interpretation we can strange results. How about if we both start on a space. I drift one space away, and then it follows me on to the same space again. So in this case we both started on the same space at the beginning of the entire turn. This makes both of the conditional statements which you quoted true. Are you telling me that it should hit both my aft and a random shield?
What about if we started the entire turn on same spot and I moved 5 spaces away and the enemy only moved four spaces to follow me. We still satisfy the "If it began the turn in the same space as the players the damage is done on a random side of the ship," statement. Should it hit a the side of my ship facing him or a random side?

In addition, Geoff is pretty active on the forums. I imagine that if the thread had reached the incorrect conclusion, he would have chimed in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.