Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian K
England
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my first game of CC, and my first squad level wargame of any hue. I actually wanted CC:E, but since its out of print I took a trip to the Pacific. At least it ought to be sunnier.

My previous wargame experience is mostly upward of 20 years ago (SPI titles in the main) and almost all of it is solo. I don't struggle with the mental partitioning required to play both sides in a game. My family are undecided whether this represents psychosis or merely an apalling memory. The net result of this self-disclosure is to show that I was unclear about the tactics required, but that neither side was placed at a disadvantage. I have the rules down pretty well now although this first game started rather turgidly as I had to keep referring. There was an element of me trying everything to see what happened.

I was sitting at the US end of the map, so all directions are from that perspective.

Objective 5 at the Japanese end is worth 10 and both sides drew chits for objective 4 near the American centre, adding to 4VP.

The Americans set up in the jungle, left of centre around the trail. The plan was for most of the force to move up the centre via Objective 4. I was also bluffing myself as to whether a sizeable detachment would use the trail. The guerilas would then materialise in the jungle top left to assist in the capture of Objective 5.

The Japanese surprised me by setting up a forward defence on the twelth row of the map from their end, the furthest allowed. This sat opposite the Americans on the other side of the patch of jungle and included the lieutenant, the MMG and the mortar. A squad was fortified in a bunker with the Batallion Gun on Objective 5 and a further squad with the LMG was prepared for infiltration.

The Americans rushed Objective 4 in the first turn and then had artillery denied ( I never did get to try that out). They got bogged down in the jungle and the Japanese moved up in force. Those Nipponese really are good at melee, aren't they? Objective 4 changed hands again and the right hand end of the US line ceased to exist. I realised then how easily it could be rolled up, and the precious leaders were only just extracted. The Japanese were consistently one hex from closing the trap, but it never sprung.

Now the fortunes of war shifted and American mobility stepped up a gear. They slipped easily around the Japanese flank and away up the trail to meet the Philipinos and capture the main prize. They were passing the lake before Japanese initiative recovered and the field gun started shelling them. The effects were rather disappointing and I'm not sure whether it was the dice or whether weapons are just a bit underwheming.

I needed to get the main Japanese force back up to support objective 5 and the quickest way appeared to be moving them off the US map edge, racking up a large number of VPs in the process, and then bringing them back on at their own end after the next time trigger. This felt horribly gamey, but it seemed rude to ignore such an opportunity.

There was now a rather dull passage where the Americans couldn't fire and the japanese couldn't move. The batallion gun was unable to outstrip American revive cards and the US troops failed to make any impression on the bunker. I should have been more aggressive with the guerillas in retrospect, but they just looked so fragile when I thought about moving them near the Japanese.

To provide some excitement I dropped in the infiltrators in open terrain ( although they arrived with their inflatable foxhole) just 2 hexes from the Americans. The sighting marker had previously been most unhelpful and spent most of its time in fires. It did at least give the Americans something unimportant to shoot at while Lt Dainichi returned to the field with a relief force.

The Japanese move and advance orders now came thick and fast as they raced through the jungle and hurled themselves at the foe. Two major melees ocurred which would decide the game and American hopes looked slim in both. The first was an expected Japanese win, but even with the initiatve card they couldn't win the second. And were now leaderless. Every Japanese weapon started to jam and US firepower swept the field. Fortunes were fully reversed and the Japanese casualties mounted.

Some confused American manouvering and a lucky Japanese roll against a broken team left a US leader on his own. The infiltrators, only placed in their foxhole as an experiment, were still alive. And adjacent. With an advance card. The Americans were one casualty from surrender. 'Seeing what needed to be done', the unnamed Japanese raced from cover and ended the battle.

Rather good fun, I thought. Plenty of twists and turns which is ideal for a solo game where you resolutely don't have a favoured side. And by the end I was mostly doing without the rulebook, so game 2 shouldn't take 4 hours.

Thanks for reading

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW, incredibly exciting solo game !

That scenario usually results in a very boring game in which the Japanese machine gun in the bunker attrits the Americans as they advance up the left board edge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Schmidt
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As an aside, I found scenario D (the beach landing) made for a good solo experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Olesen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a Sighting marker sit in a fire hex? I tried to look for this in the rules once but didn't find anything. I would expect it to be pushed out like any other unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
England
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert Olesen wrote:
Can a Sighting marker sit in a fire hex? I tried to look for this in the rules once but didn't find anything. I would expect it to be pushed out like any other unit.

It did seem odd, but I presume the random hex for the blaze moves the marker. If that was the biggest cock-up I admitted to in my AAR then I'm pretty pleased. ( not an invitation to burst my bubble!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Robert Olesen wrote:
Can a Sighting marker sit in a fire hex?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnold Neumann
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend Jason and I played this scenario last night with me as the Japanese. We had quite a one-sided affair in which the Japanese won quite handily. I do think this scenario is play balanced in favour of the Japanese because they are so hard to attrit. Also working in the Japanese favour was the fact that I got revive cards right after I broke almost every time, won every melee battle (and I think we had at least 5) and just overall put up a stubborn resistance before leaving the field. Jason also had very bad luck in this game. The thing that seemed to work the best for him was when he got his artillery going on a few occasions.

Overall, Combat Commander is a great system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.