Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Navajo Wars» Forums » General

Subject: I feel like I should know the answer to this question ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Johnson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With respect to the game board, what does 'New Mexico' refer to?

Perhaps I do not know the answer is because I am British with an all-too-unsatisfactory knowledge of American geography. I have searched the manual and the play book but to no avail.

The reason for my confusion is that my reading of the game has pulled me in 3 directions:

1. There are constant references to New Mexico throughout the contents of the game and so sometimes I think it refers to the whole area covered by the game board.
2. But the board itself seems to be divided into four quadrants: Utah, Colorado, New Mexico etc. Having said that, the frequent references to New Mexico in the game don't seem to tie in with New Mexico just being a quarter of the whole game board.
3. The 'Raid on New Mexico' action via Santa Fe seems to suggest that New Mexico is an area off the game board because of where Santa Fe is positioned on the far-right - the very action of the raid feels as though you are going off-territory to raid somewhere else.

I haven't worked out, therefore, whether the 'Subjugation of New Mexico' refers to subjugation of the region covered by the game board, or of a quarter of the game board or of another region off to the right (east?) of the game board.

I do feel slightly embarrassed asking this question as, after two games (the first launched by the wonderful tutorial in the play book), I really do think I should have worked this out by now, but obviously not, and I would be really grateful of somebody could help enhance my enjoyment of this fantastic game even further. Thank you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hebart-Coleman
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that the boundaries of the province of Nuevo Mexico has shifted and changed over the centuria of colonisation (e.g the San Juan valleys are now in Colorado), I think the references to New Mexico are used as shorthand for colonised areas in this game, as opposed to the areas where the Dine live, across different administrative boundaries.

Whilst Spain and others claimed large areas, control was often limited to areas/villages around Santa Fe, Taos, Alburquerque, and Tucson (in modern day Arizona). Raids on New Mexico represent raids on all such colonised settlements (which also thematically makes sense as the game allows for long distance raids - perhaps the Navajo from Hopi land were raiding settlements in modern day Arizona rather than just Santa Fe).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. There are constant references to New Mexico throughout the contents of the game and so sometimes I think it refers to the whole area covered by the game board.


The New Mexico on the game board represents the modern day state borders. This was done for geographic interest. The "New Mexico" in game terms represents the territory of New Mexico that was conquered by Spain. The colony centered on the Rio Grande river valley.

Quote:
2. But the board itself seems to be divided into four quadrants: Utah, Colorado, New Mexico etc. Having said that, the frequent references to New Mexico in the game don't seem to tie in with New Mexico just being a quarter of the whole game board.


Again, this was done to give players a frame of reference in modern-day terms.

Quote:
3. The 'Raid on New Mexico' action via Santa Fe seems to suggest that New Mexico is an area off the game board because of where Santa Fe is positioned on the far-right - the very action of the raid feels as though you are going off-territory to raid somewhere else.


Do NOT take the map too literally. Santa Fe is the point from which enemy raids originate but that is an abstraction. Enemy raids could have come from the south or further north. Similarly, your raids on New Mexico constitute raids on settlements beyond the Dinétah.

Hope this helps!

-Joel
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Johnson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for your helpful replies - it's a great game!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.