Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: 2 player co-op rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
pnpgamer me
msg tools
Husbeast loves Forbidden Island. It only takes about 30 minutes, has no 'take that' and the rules are way easier than Fizbin. So, recommendations for other co-ops?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King
United States
Fairmount
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Desert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SOS Titanic checks off all of those boxes as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We enjoy Castle Panic in addition to the Forbidden games, too, although it seems like it's a lot harder with two players than 3-4 (don't think we've ever won with just two of us so far). We ignore the monster scoring rule in our house; no reason to make a coop game somewhat competitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Primet
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I second that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Pollheim
Germany
Troisdorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Skaak wrote:
We enjoy Castle Panic in addition to the Forbidden games, too, although it seems like it's a lot harder with two players than 3-4 (don't think we've ever won with just two of us so far). We ignore the monster scoring rule in our house; no reason to make a coop game somewhat competitive.

I wonder if you are missing a rule, perhaps about discarding a card each turn. I've played Castle Panic mostly 2player and I think have only lost once or twice. Castle Panic is a good choice for similar complexity as Forbidden Island - my son prefers Castle Panic.

For slightly more complex, I would recommend Pandemic and Flash Point: Fire Rescue, which I consider the standard-bearers for co-op. They work fine 2 player, although with Flash Point I prefer to each control 2 firefighters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
We enjoy playing Hanabi ... works with 2-4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my granddaughters likes to play Shadows over Camelot: The Card Game. When she visits we play that. It's a relatively quick 15-20 minutes cooperative game. Can be played with 1 to 7 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ropo12 wrote:

I love this game, but if you are going for something with fairly simple rules you'll want to steer clear (can be a big monetary commitment if you get into it seriously, too). My wife, who loves Forbidden Island, won't touch LoTR, sadly (which partly might be the theme, of course; she's ambivalent about LoTR while I'm an addict).

On the other hand, if you want to start getting into slightly more complicated cooperative games, you should try Pandemic because it's super easy to get into after you've played Forbidden Island (which is basically Pandemic Light; same designer). Forbidden Island => Pandemic => the more complicated cooperative games is a good path.

Ryan Keane wrote:
I wonder if you are missing a rule, perhaps about discarding a card each turn.

Nope, we're doing the card discard, card trading, etc. I don't deny that a lot of our losses are probably player error, but the reason it feels a lot harder with 2 players is because we get through the deck so much more slowly. With three or four it's almost certain that *someone* will have a card that's useful on a given turn, and we see the barbarian and other good cards a bit more regularly. With two, we often end up having a bunch of turns where we can't do much at all other than watch the goblins advance on us. The additional goblins that you get with 3-4 players has not seemed to balance out the additional access to cards for us, so far, nor has the differing hand sizes.

Basically, with two players we have a lot harder time mitigating the luck of the draw factor. A single card discard and a single trade per turn aren't very much when you only have one trading partner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My hubby and I play quite a few fun co-ops like
Police Precinct
Hanabi
Defenders of the Realm
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
Yggdrasil
Ghost Stories
Legends of Andor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lloyd
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting that no one has suggested pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Skaak wrote:
ropo12 wrote:

I love this game, but if you are going for something with fairly simple rules you'll want to steer clear (can be a big monetary commitment if you get into it seriously, too). My wife, who loves Forbidden Island, won't touch LoTR, sadly (which partly might be the theme, of course; she's ambivalent about LoTR while I'm an addict).

On the other hand, if you want to start getting into slightly more complicated cooperative games, you should try Pandemic because it's super easy to get into after you've played Forbidden Island (which is basically Pandemic Light; same designer). Forbidden Island => Pandemic => the more complicated cooperative games is a good path.

Ryan Keane wrote:
I wonder if you are missing a rule, perhaps about discarding a card each turn.

Nope, we're doing the card discard, card trading, etc. I don't deny that a lot of our losses are probably player error, but the reason it feels a lot harder with 2 players is because we get through the deck so much more slowly. With three or four it's almost certain that *someone* will have a card that's useful on a given turn, and we see the barbarian and other good cards a bit more regularly. With two, we often end up having a bunch of turns where we can't do much at all other than watch the goblins advance on us. The additional goblins that you get with 3-4 players has not seemed to balance out the additional access to cards for us, so far, nor has the differing hand sizes.

Basically, with two players we have a lot harder time mitigating the luck of the draw factor. A single card discard and a single trade per turn aren't very much when you only have one trading partner.

Hmm, don't know then. We find the higher hand size with 2 players means you still can usually play several of your cards each turn. I don't know what you mean about additional goblins that you get with 3-4 players. Is that in the rules? Anyway, I think most people consider Castle Panic relatively easy, and the expansion (which I don't have yet) helps increase the difficulty.

And about LotR: Card Game, my wife and I are big LotR fans, by neither of us liked the card game. We're playing Sentinels of the Multiverse right now and trying to find the fun, but not found yet. I think we just don't like card-only co-ops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King
United States
Fairmount
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DearVienna wrote:
Interesting that no one has suggested pandemic.
maybe a bit too much new year celebrating? I see Pandemic suggested twice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Husbeast. lol

You can play Dawn of the Zeds (Second edition) together

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic
Ghost Stories
Elder Sign
Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
We find the higher hand size with 2 players means you still can usually play several of your cards each turn. I don't know what you mean about additional goblins that you get with 3-4 players. Is that in the rules? Anyway, I think most people consider Castle Panic relatively easy, and the expansion (which I don't have yet) helps increase the difficulty.

Sorry, should have been more explicit: it's still only two goblins added per turn, but depending on card draw that feels like more (eight goblins added in a round for four players vs. four for two).

Maybe we just have gotten consistently unlucky with Castle Panic (or are incredibly poor players), because it feels a lot more difficult to us than something like Forbidden Island. A well-meaning family member gave me the expansion along with Castle Panic, but after reading the rules we haven't even bothered cracking the box. Just looks like it would make the game impossible.

It's also possible that I'm just biased against coops where the strategy and difficulty lie in mitigating the luck of the draw. I have a love-hate relationship with Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game, too.

Ryan Keane wrote:
And about LotR: Card Game, my wife and I are big LotR fans, by neither of us liked the card game. We're playing Sentinels of the Multiverse right now and trying to find the fun, but not found yet.

Another disclaimer about LoTR that I forgot to mention: a very large part of the game is deck-building (I probably spend as much time building and tweaking decks as I do actually playing quests), which can be a turn-off for some people. Not sure if that has anything to do with why you and your wife dislike it (I haven't played it, but so far as I know Sentinels doesn't do deck-building at all), but fair warning for others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Onirim is a fun card game that is made for solo play, but I find the two player rules to be equal to the solo game. I highly recommend it as it is super short but you will have to work together in it. It is a very different thing to Forbidden Island, but tons of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim thorson
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I would go with
Elder sign or eldritch horror
Flash point fire rescue
Castle panic with expansion
Ghost stories
Legend of andor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Martin
United States
Peoria
IL
flag msg tools
I would recommend looking into Mice and Mystics. It's my favorite co-op game and each chapter should take under an hour, 45 minutes with two people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Onirim. And it's SUPER cheat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.