5 Posts

Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Original Series» Forums » General

Subject: Wrapping my head around Battles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jakusotsu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played one game of TOS DBG and my own copy is currently being shipped, so I just want this Q answered before I begin playing.

Aren't Battles too easy on person who got their flagship destroyed, and aren't they also really shitty for everyone else participating in the battle?

Here's my line of thought:

Everyone who participates in the battle will lose an amount of cards that they are willing to contribute to the battle. When those players eventually start their turns, they will begin with a smaller hand and that will limit their options during their turn. So it's either-

1. do not boost your starship and risk getting destroyed, or
2. boost your starship and have a crappy turn the next time it is your turn.

On the other hand, someone who gets their flagship destroyed gets a fresh hand of 5 cards and only 1 Ensign cluttering their deck. Perhaps I'm underestimating the gunk factor of Ensigns, but it shouldn't be too hard to get rid of it since you have a free Trash phase every turn?

So aside from the Winner who achieves the battle reward (of questionable utility compared to the loss of cards to achieve victory), and the Loser who gets a fresh hand, what worth is there to participating in battles?

In Resident Evil DBG, when death occurs, the person's next turn is skipped. I think this is a more appropriate punishment for death and might make a nice house rule, compared to Ensign adding. Any thoughts on this?

EDIT:

I just read the FAQ file, and it says that players who are not the active player draw back up to 5 after the battle concludes. So I guess battles are not as damaging to players who choose to participate, and battles could be used as a sort of card-cycling mechanic where you throw away cards you don't need before the start of your next turn.

We can still use this post as a discussion on the battle mechanic though. Do people like it? Does it happen too often, is it really disruptive and does it hurt the flow of the game? Is there too light of a punishment on people whose flagships get destroyed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1)You missed a key part of battles: everyone except the player whose turn it is refills their hand afterward. Then the player whose turn it is finishes his turn, and draws a new hand.

No one is screwed by battles.

2)As for ensigns, you have to choose on your turn: either perform actions, search, explore, etc.

OR

Trash 1 card.

You don't get to do both phases every turn. You will find the trash phase is more of a last resort than anything most of the time.

3)getting your flagship destroyed is annoying enough since you already have a rhythm going with your cards, and reshuffling everything together and drawing new cards usually messes with your plans and your knowledge of how your deck has been flowing.

4) this is NOT Resident Evil, and skipping someone's turn in this game would be pretty disastrous a punishment for an event they didn't want to initiate in the first place.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think battles are fine in this game. They don't happen that often, and knowing that they could keeps people on their toes. Also, you don't choose to battle. They just happen and everyone is involved whether they want to or not. Not participating in them is usually a bad idea, since damaging an opponents ship could force them to use xp to heal instead of recruit from starbase their next turn, and it could also make them cautious about exploring which might give you more time to try and get to that mission, for example.

I think a lot of your concerns will be alleviated once you see it in action.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this is interesting..

I learned to play this game from the Next Generation version of the card game in which the manual clearly states that all players, except the player who drew the battle card, redraw their hand back to up to five cards. Since the two games are based on the same ruleset, I had assumed that TOS played the same way. However, after re-checking the rulebook, it appears that this (very important) rule is missing and it would seem that you have interpreted the rulebook correctly. However, it is worth pointing out that the rule about discarding your bridge at the end of battle is also missing. As such, I see two solutions here:

1) If you want to stay true to the rulebook, nothing in the manual states that players discard the cards on their bridge at the end of the battle. If taken literally, each player would leave their played cards on the bridge and use them when their next turn comes around. This would still leave them with five cards. However, I still think this comes to a disadvantage to the non-active players. If a second battle card is pulled, now the other players can see your hand in advance. I also means that said player would have used any optional abilities on their cards with combat in mind making it more difficult to complete a diplomacy themed mission. As such, I prefer....

2) Given that this game is based off of the NextGen ruleset, I think it would be entirely fair to "houserule" that the non-active players can draw back up to five after battle is over (providing they discard their bridge). As you point out, it becomes terribly unfair if you don't allow it as they have to buy/explore on their next turn with fewer cards.

One of the things that you will learn about this game (if you haven't already) is that the rulebook is very poorly written. If I recall correctly, the inventory count in one of the manuals is incorrect because they copy/pasted it from the previous manual without updating it. Even worse is that a lot of the errata that was posted on the Bandai website is now forever lost since they have taken down the forum for this game. It can be difficult to cobble together the correct ruleset without looking at both manuals and browsing the BGG forums for all three games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jakusotsu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the claims of a terrible rulebook were highly overstated, and now this proves that they were indeed true. Thanks for the heads up. There really needs to be a definitive rulebook, rather than a crappy rulebook + 2 page unofficial FAQ...

I think I will play it the TNG way. This makes battles a lot less disruptive than I think they would be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.