Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the process of putting together a fairly hefty guide (to be posted on a gaming site I'm part of) that should cover most things in the game, making heavy use of examples and, hopefully, some sort of logical progression with explaining all the various elements. That way brand new players, or even potential buyers, should get a good picture of the game along with an idea of strategies or at least things to look out for.

Since it's a relatively complex game, I'm always encountering little ambiguities (so I may be back here from time to time) and I know I'm not infallible. So, I'll be looking for corrections, clarifications or, at the very least, a general consensus on certain rulings and other scenarios.

When the first draft is ready, I will definitely be seeing if anyone here would like to proof-read it and help tighten up the writing and such (heaven knows it'll need it!)

For the moment, I only have one query.

1. Interacting with other players is essentially a 'free Action', but how do we treat it with regards to doing it in the middle of another Action? For example, if we Fly to another player and hire away Disgruntled crew but we still haven't travelled our Full Burn range?

Or if we happen to be at the same supply planet as another player, and would like to raise some extra funds by selling something (or someone) to another player, while we're already using a Buy Action and considering cards for purchase? I know this last one is very unlikely, but it helps to be prepared.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. Interacting with other players is essentially a 'free Action', but how do we treat it with regards to doing it in the middle of another Action? For example, if we Fly to another player and hire away Disgruntled crew but we still haven't travelled our Full Burn range?

While interacting with another player is a "free action", both players have to be at Full Stop.

The Full Stop requirement is not stated on page 15 under "Disgruntled Crew" but it is stated on page 17 under "Parley with Rivals".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I thought as much but couldn't place my finger on why exactly I came to that conclusion. Thank you kindly!

EDIT: I may be overthinking things at points, while missing basic details, but here's another question...

2. We know that Job Needs have to be met 'at every stage' of a Job and to 'advance the Job', which seems pretty clear when it has two parts. However, what happens if we fail to fulfil these mid-Action due to Misbehaves?

Say, for example, if the 'Transport' Keyword were a requirement but the associated Gear and Crew was Returned to the Ship on the 2nd out of 3 Misbehaves.

Or a Killed Crew Member drops us below the necessary amount of Skill Points. Yes, we'd have to make that up somehow if there were still a second part to accomplish, but what if it were to happen during Pick-Up?

It seems extra finicky to keep these in mind as well, but I can see how it makes sense, thematically...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GodRob
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
While primarily used for killing vampires, a wooden stake to the heart is also highly effective against most other opponents.
badge
Everybody wants to be a Game Designer but nobody wants to be a Game Designer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Following the steps on page 13:

1. Equip Crew
2. Confirm Needs
3. Do the Job/Misbehave
4. Outcome

It appears that once you've completed step 2, you don't need to reconfirm needs at any time during steps 3 or 4. (Note that if this is a two-part job, you will need to repeat the entire sequence at the drop-off point).

However, under Confirm Needs, also on page 13, "If the needs of the job are not met, the Job may not be advanced in any way: Cargo cannot be loaded, Misbehaving cannot be attempted, etc."

This second statement appears to contradict what I stated at first, but I think it's just a poorly worded reemphasis. Since the Cargo is loaded and/or Misbehavin' is done during step 3, you've already confirmed the needs during step 2. I think you're OK until you need to perform step 2 again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again. Just as I'd assumed. It might be odd to lose your Crew member who was wearing the Fancy Duds the mission required, but in those instances you will most likely have failed the Job anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.