Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Fryer
United States
Woodstock
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I correct in how the scenario 1 Mast works (getting ready for my first play... )

I need a rope, wood and fur (later two discarded when used), and then need to place a character token(s) on this as a build action (1, or 2 to ensure success). Then, during the action resolve phase, if successful, I immediately place 3 wood on the scenario pile for the appropriate column.

This is a little different than the FAQ, v 1.01, which indicates it is a "free" action? "Free" implies I did not need to use a build action to do this? Which is correct?

Also, can this Mast be used every round, assuming I have wood and fur?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cavalry Man wrote:
Am I correct in how the scenario 1 Mast works (getting ready for my first play... )

I need a rope, wood and fur (later two discarded when used), and then need to place a character token(s) on this as a build action (1, or 2 to ensure success). Then, during the action resolve phase, if successful, I immediately place 3 wood on the scenario pile for the appropriate column.

This is a little different than the FAQ, v 1.01, which indicates it is a "free" action? "Free" implies I did not need to use a build action to do this? Which is correct?

Also, can this Mast be used every round, assuming I have wood and fur?

Good questions, I also want to know them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuting Yang
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am no expert of the game but the way I interpret the mast item for scenario 1 is: you pay the required items and use a build action (it still has to be built, like all other items). Once built, the "free action" implies it is automatically added to the woodpile, rather than having to wait for the transition between the production phase and the action phase for the next day.

It would not make much sense if the mast can be built as a free action; if this is indeed true, what is there to stop me from building the hatchet as a free action?

Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arnaud roussel
Canada
st Leonard
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
You build the Mast exactly like any other item. You need to have built the rope, a wood and a fur, spend one or 2 worker on it and then (if successful) you get 3 wood for the pile.

It's not a free action.

I think it's terrible however
Unless you need the rope for something else there is no point in doing:
1 build action (rope), spend 1 wood 1 fur, 1 build action (mast) when you could just gather wood which is a lot less risky than building.

Only use I've found for it is if you want to pay snow/wind with life rather than wood. In which case you have a guaranteed +3 wood on the pile instead of having the weather deplet your wood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Fryer
United States
Woodstock
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for the quick responses. Looking forward to playing, what appears to be an outstanding game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arnaud roussel
Canada
st Leonard
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cavalry Man wrote:
Thanks so much for the quick responses. Looking forward to playing, what appears to be an outstanding game!

Oh and by the way if by:

Quote:

You mean the following part of the FAQ:

Quote:
Is it a free Action or a Building Action to add wood to the pile?
It's free, as you do it before the Action phase.

It has nothing to do with building the mast. What it means is that adding wood to the pile is a free action (which you take before your action phase). But building the mast isn't free... only once its built, adding the 3 wood doesn't cost another action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
The mast is also a one-time thing, of course.

And keep in mind that you cannot fill more than one column each round, and have to start from the left (first 1 wood, then 2 wood, then 3 wood...). This means that you will need at least 5 rounds to fill the pile.

The mast, therefore, can be a hail mary later-on in the game, if you do not get enough wood, but don't have another round to spare. In fact, it might just save you having to live through another round...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Fryer
United States
Woodstock
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thus, once the Mast is used, it cannot be used again? Are other items like that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cavalry Man wrote:
Thus, once the Mast is used, it cannot be used again? Are other items like that?

All other items are that way. You can only build each item once. So if the item gets you recources, it is once when you build.

Edit:
Ok I think what I wrote is not exactly right.
The map for example, if you build it once then you place the green action token onto the card. You now have this green action token available in each round. (Not just in the round you build the map)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exception:

Some items have repeated use.
The regular items show this by repeating the effect on the back (i.e. item) side of the card.
Special Scenario items will tell you this in their description.

Also, there are some Scenario Items that you will be able to build repeatedly, not just once (like usual).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I originally thought it worked was that building the mast let you put wood on a second column that round. perhaps I was wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italian Seismologist
United Kingdom
norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
[The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was not convincing people he didn't exist, but convincing them that he was God.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also in nearly every game I have played the rope has been near essential
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
femgoth wrote:
The way I originally thought it worked was that building the mast let you put wood on a second column that round. perhaps I was wrong.

Yeah thats wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lee
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, the mast card doesn't list a quantity for the wood and pelts, unlike other cards, like the sling. So would this indicate that you don't actually spend the wood and pelt, you just need one available to "build" the mast?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.

Whenever a card or token or scenario sheet sports a ressource symbol without a number, the implied number is 1. You still need to discard the ressource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Davis
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
A couple of things to keep in mind:

If you fail to build the mast due to risky build and a bad success die roll, you don't lose your wood and fur resource. This is the same for all build actions.

The mast can only contribute wood to the bonfire column you're working on this turn. If the three bonfire wood it produces exceeds the column's capacity, the extra wood is lost. You'll want to time the mast build so that it can help fill a large column on the bonfire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.