Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG Help and How-To

Subject: Image rejected - huh? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

For the TactDecks: Reign of Heroes entry, I attempted to upload the following image:



Which was quickly declined with the following message:

We're sorry that we couldn't use the recent image that you uploaded to the Geek related to TactDecks: Reign of Heroes, and it was removed it from the system.

Reasons:
100% Individual Component


Does anyone know if the image posting rules for game entries have changed? I've uploaded scores of card images in the past and they've been cleared through admin with no issues... heck, I just uploaded two yesterday and got 2 GG for my trouble.

Confused...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Middlesboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

Does anyone know if the image posting rules for game entries have changed? I've uploaded scores of card images in the past and they've been cleared through admin with no issues...


They aren't cleared through the admins... regular users go to GeekMod and accept/decline images, so it kind of varies on what will get through depending on who is Modding at the time. However, you really aren't supposed to upload images of individual components, which is why there is a checkbox to add "Individual Component" as a reason for being declined.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Image reviewing on the geek is extremely arbitrary, to the point that I know people who left and started posting pictures elsewhere. Some reviewers are reasonable, some seem to want to show who's boss.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hundreds of pictures of individual cards or figures (and sometimes multiple images of individual figures!) clog the image galleries, prevent anyone from finding anything, and they have little value in helping a user understand the game as a whole.

Anyone may upload whatever they like to their personal gallery: My Geek / Gallery / [Upload Image].

This was a correct call by the volunteer moderators.
19 
 Thumb up
0.16
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't modded in a while, but when I did I would have rejected the image as an individual component as well.

That being said, this is your game design. You might try again and add a mod note that it is your game and you want a small representative amount of individual components to show the range of options in your game to potential buyers. It may get through then.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1nf1n1ty wrote:
I haven't modded in a while, but when I did I would have rejected the image as an individual component as well.

That being said, this is your game design. You might try again and add a mod note that it is your game and you want a small representative amount of individual components to show the range of options in your game to potential buyers. It may get through then.


Thanks,guys.

I understand the logic behind rejecting "individual components," especially in terms of published card-heavy games. Even so, there seems to be a huge sliding scale there, based on moderator interest or popularity of the game (Summoner Wars or the last 4 pages of Mage Knight images, for example).

I just have been adding these images to the WIP TactDecks: Reign of Heroes for so long... and they were never rejected before.

I've been relying on these periodic image uploads to both stoke a modicum of interest in the game, as well as use them for critical feedback. I've made countless meaningful changes based on comments received after posting these component images.

Guess I'll have to try something else...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
United States
Los Osos
California
flag msg tools
This overtext is far more interesting than I am.
badge
One die to rule them all.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
1nf1n1ty wrote:
I haven't modded in a while, but when I did I would have rejected the image as an individual component as well.

That being said, this is your game design. You might try again and add a mod note that it is your game and you want a small representative amount of individual components to show the range of options in your game to potential buyers. It may get through then.


Thanks,guys.

I understand the logic behind rejecting "individual components," especially in terms of published card-heavy games. Even so, there seems to be a huge sliding scale there, based on moderator interest or popularity of the game (Summoner Wars or the last 4 pages of Mage Knight images, for example).

I just have been adding these images to the WIP TactDecks: Reign of Heroes for so long... and they were never rejected before.

I've been relying on these periodic image uploads to both stoke a modicum of interest in the game, as well as use them for critical feedback. I've made countless meaningful changes based on comments received after posting these component images.

Guess I'll have to try something else...



I understand your frustration. Such is the way with community driven moderation. I still think you should try the suggestion I provided. If that doesn't work, you may consider contacting a moderator. I think this is an exceptional circumstance given you are the designer and you aren't posting 'every' or even 'most' of the cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
The problem with modders letting single cards or minis through because "it's just one" is that you never know if one more is going to be added the next day, then one more, and then you've effectively discarded the rule which as noted is there for a reason. It's also difficult for geekmodders to know whether it's the designer uploading the image or indeed whether that means the rules should not be applied as strictly. I too would recommend contacting

Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


or making sure you submit cards in montages of two or more, which are pretty much guaranteed to get through.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:

For the TactDecks: Reign of Heroes entry, I attempted to upload the following image:



Which was quickly declined...

We've pretty much answered, "What happened?" so maybe it's time for, "Where do you go from here?"

I think: post an image useful to BGGers who are evaluating your game or playing it. (You may be approaching this from a promotional point of view, which is not kosher.) Here are a couple examples from Saint Petersburg.

This gives people a feel for the game play:



This gives players a useful census of blue upgrade cards:



Try this kind of approach and you should have no problem.
8 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Posting an image of a single card can also cause copyright problems with some publishers. I always wanted a new image category specific for components (thus having 4 categories like : the game in general, people playing the game, creative, and components), wich solve problems like yours. I too, find the image of a single card to be sometimes usefull, but they also clog image galleries and deserve their own.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, it looks like the "montage method" worked.

 


I'll just have to remember to group cards in the future (which works fine, since I'm not really looking to clog things up with multiple cards anyway).
5 
 Thumb up
1.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin518 wrote:
Posting an image of a single card can also cause copyright problems with some publishers. I always wanted a new image category specific for components (thus having 4 categories like : the game in general, people playing the game, creative, and components), wich solve problems like yours. I too, find the image of a single card to be sometimes usefull, but they also clog image galleries and deserve their own.

Really, the card census pictures, of which the above is a mild example, are far more threatening to publishers since they can show the complete structure of the deck. Of course, they are also the most useful to the user looking to improve his strategy. And, the structure of the deck cannot be copyrighted.

A component category exists. Still, 150 or 600 cards fifteen at a time gets to 10 or 40 pages of images. Trouble is, in game with cards and other components, they all get lost in the component flood if too many components are uploaded.

At some point, the OP may get called on similar images. A sample of these three monsters is very similar to a sample of another three monsters. Utility to BGG users is the gold standard.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.