James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Has anybody confirmed whether Reiner Knizia's "Game of Thrones: Intrigue" game is a retheme of a prior published game of his?

If not, any speculation as to what prior existing game of Knizia's might make the best candidate for such a retheme?

In my opinion, the word "Intgrigue" doesn't suggest battles on the field of battle but palace politics and positioning on the palace grounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Colossal Arena?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:

Hopefully with an end game that makes sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastien Nemett
France
flag msg tools
If it is a retheme of an existing game, i'd say that Quo Vadis might be a good choice in Knizia's ludography : intrigues, interested alliances, trahison. Why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

the_ranger wrote:
If it is a retheme of an existing game, i'd say that Quo Vadis might be a good choice in Knizia's ludography: intrigues, interested alliances, trahison. Why not?

It sounds more thematically aligned with notions of intrigue, although I don't know how that would lend itself to incorporate more "Game of Thrones" specific thematic play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastien Nemett
France
flag msg tools
I wonder too. Adaptation of the board would be quite obvious : getting on the Iron Throne, helped by the support of other families. If it is a retheme, he might changes the vote rules to add a card-based system which could introduce some GoT-themed/specific play (like killing a beloved character ^^).

Anyway, I'm really curious about this release and I hope it will be a good game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Webster
Australia
Brisbane (north)
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing if this is a retheme it could be Lost Cities. With houses instead of expeditions. Perhaps with some battle line style action cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Webster
Australia
Brisbane (north)
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But then again it says 2-6 players, so lost cities might not make so much sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Official FFG announcement. I don't know Knizia's games very well, but they've described the core mechanic. It's a pyramidish tile-placement game, it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
Official FFG announcement. I don't know Knizia's games very well, but they've described the core mechanic. It's a pyramidish tile-placement game, it seems.

Read the description. The pyramid "play until you can't" based on what's underneath... mechanic I've seen before. Not sure it was a Knizia design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
eekamouse wrote:
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:

Read the description. The pyramid "play until you can't" based on what's underneath... mechanic I've seen before. Not sure it was a Knizia design.

The description matches exactly Pinguin-Party from Knizia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha I didn't see that coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tilouboy wrote:
eekamouse wrote:
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:

That's it. I actually played a Japanese knock-off of this. It used monkeys...

It was "meh". Possible mediocre lunch filler at best. Maybe this version will have some changes. It definitely wasn't a bad game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Pinguin Party. There's a little more to it than it first appears too. I don't think I need a Westeros-themed version though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

eekamouse wrote:
tilouboy wrote:
eekamouse wrote:
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:

That's it. I actually played a Japanese knock-off of this. It used monkeys...

It was "meh". Possible mediocre lunch filler at best. Maybe this version will have some changes. It definitely wasn't a bad game.

If it is indeed a rethemed version of "Penguin Party", how would it work with tiles?

After all, you referred to making a pyramid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:

If it is indeed a rethemed version of "Penguin Party", how would it work with tiles?

After all, you referred to making a pyramid.

I have called for backup. I played it twice and my memory is hazy. Expect a reply from the game's owner after some time. He lives in Singapore so he might be a while

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more a triangle than a pyramid really. Pinguin-Party uses cards and Penguin plastic pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Knizia pastes on themes just often enough for the accusations to sometimes be true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What if it's a slightly reworked Invasion of the Garden Gnomes (a game that was to be released in 2012 but still isn't because of CGF's problems)? That was to be a game for 2-5 players but it was already recommended for more than 5...

Just replace gardens for kingdoms and gnomes for houses...
Quote:
The gnomes are fighting for dominance of the gardens. Gnomes from the lawn, hedge, veggie garden, orchard, flower garden, and herb garden can be recruited to build a ceramic empire.

In Invasion of the Garden Gnomes, players form melds (sets of gnomes from the same part of the garden), each representing a columns of garden gnomes armed to the teeth. The smallest set of each color will be squished and not score, and larger sets score more points. Whenever a new column is formed, a special effect is triggered (usually good). Between games, twelve different special powers are randomly allocated between the six type of gnomes, making for very different games and necessitating different tactics.

This game's core mechanisms are based on Knizia's card game Vampire. Invasion of the Garden Gnomes introduces special powers for each color and more vicious competition within each color of meld.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you read that Fantasy Flight page Laszlo? It's pretty much literally the rulebook for Pinguin Party
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qwertymartin wrote:
Did you read that Fantasy Flight page Laszlo? It's pretty much literally the rulebook for Pinguin Party

Oh no, I thought (hoped) it was just a joke here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Joel,

yes it is a retheme of Reiner's Penguin party.
I bought it from here
http://oinkgms.com/?pid=43042676

even the product site also indicate's Reiner's name.

and you DO make a pyramid (since you have to have 2 cards as a base before you can place cards on top and build upwards).

and its a filler type game but not MEH because there is quite a fair bit of cut throat-ness allowed (i.e. if you see you only have a card of 1 color you can try to cut off that color thus "killing" it and causing someone else to get a penalty chit (or more) at the end). easy to teach and play.
Plus you can house rule to that players must make monkey noises when you play the cards.

Wait what was I suppose to clarify again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember it being interesting towards the end of each round, but I don't know that it would hold up to repeated plays /shrug

I'll probably pick this up anyway. Lunch time game = instant buy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PLUS we conned Lance into playing a Reiner game! That is extra bonus in our books right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duckizz wrote:
PLUS we conned Lance into playing a Reiner game! That is extra bonus in our books right?

I forgot about that! Yes. We were playing with someone who has sworn off all Reiner Knizia games on "principle"... He started to enjoy himself and mentioned as much, and I believe Eric mentioned, "By the way, this is a Reiner Knizia design."

Hysterical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.