Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I was browsing a bit on CSI's site and noticing that a lot of things tended to be around 25-30% off. Is that about right? What makes them a popular site to buy from? I know there's something about building up to bigger discounts in a loyalty program, or some such..

How about other online retailers, is that 25-30% off about typical?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Waller
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're about right with the percentage. Most online retailers will sell for about 20% off MSRP.

I go through CSI because they are almost always competitive in price, give free shipping over $100 (I save up and order around that each time to get that), and have a reward program. I'm at level 7 now and enjoying another 3% off. I've also been very pleased that every game I get from them is undamaged and packed pretty nicely w/ lots of protection.

I also have AmazonPrime and find the online game retailers can even beat Amazon prices with free shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently,

Madness Comics & Games (Plano, TX) had their holiday sale that always draws in a lot of business.

Buy 2 Get 1 free. There were some exclusions like CCGs, singles, etc. But for board games, if you buy 2 $60 Board Games, you get a 3rd board game up to $60 free.

A lot of people I know jumped on the deal in fact I grabbed a couple of cheap games when I was there one evening.

A friend recently purchased almost $300 in games from them. After pricing their take home, CoolStuffInc was still $30 cheaper without the B2G1 sale. I've been using CSI for a while now and I find that I don't mind waiting the extra few days to get my games with free shipping.

So I think CSI's prices a quite typical compared to a B&M store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kaplan
United States
Hopewell Jct.
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to find things slightly cheaper right off the bat at miniaturemarket.com with the same free shipping at $100, but their loyalty program isn't as good. So I guess it depends on how often you plan on buying games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Watson
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dresvin wrote:
I tend to find things slightly cheaper right off the bat at miniaturemarket.com with the same free shipping at $100, but their loyalty program isn't as good. So I guess it depends on how often you plan on buying games.

Plus 1 to this. I always check both sites and order according to final price. Miniature Market is much cheaper for sleeves, and has more component upgrades and accessories. However, in the end, I fin myself ordering from Coolstuffinc 4 to 1. Both sites offer top notch service. I have never once had an issue with either and would not hesitate doing business again with either of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
An-Jen Tai
United States
Palmyra
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought from both. With the loyalty program, CSI comes out ahead for me by a percent or 2 on average, but MM has a more consistent clearance section that often has one or two items that sound interesting that I'm willing to take a crack at to help get to free shipping. On the rare occasions when I absolutely must get something immediately, I'll usually go with CSI. Otherwise, I'll put in an order whenever something cool shows up on the daily sale list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Dowden
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who has reached the 4% off level at CoolStuff...I've spent a LOT of money with them (well over $2,000 over the years). I've ordered from Miniature Market, Cardhaus and even Boards and Bits (before they left planet earth) and never had any issues with any of them.

The reason I shop CoolStuff primarily is the extra discount and the amazing service. I've had items on pre-order get delayed (no fault of the stores if the games aren't released on schedule). I've emailed Cory and he has (on several occasions) reconstructed my order to get items out to me while 'holding' the preorder items, contacting me once they became available and allowing me to add items get free shipping again. They are amazing to work with.

Plus I met Jerry, their CFO at Gen-Con and demoed games with him. They all seem to be great people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
jwallerrocks wrote:
Most online retailers will sell for about 20% off MSRP

not sure about that, possibly "most" if we count them all... but the "major" (and this can be subjective) ones the "base" is 20%, ie. the grand daddy of the online board game etailers (who also has a B&M btw). Most of the "deep" discounters imho the base is 30%. For a while boards&bits had the highest discount for any Rio Grande Games (RGG) titles, I think like 38%.

of course since the SJC court ruling a few years ago making (vertical market) price fixing not automatically illegal leading the way for publishers like Mayfair to require pricing agreements, in general the most you'll see Mayfair titles (Catan brand, etc) discounted off msrp by is 20%

xpiredsodapop wrote:

also not sure about that either, depends on where you live I guess... from my experience most B&M only board game stores sell at MSRP (and there are reports of some who sell even higher). If you live near a game store that is B&M and an online discounter, like funagain, coolstuff, miniature market, thoughthammer (rip), etc then you get the best of both worlds.

shipping as mentioned may be a bigger factor for some... at one point years back I did a lot of buying from cardhaus, had the best prices for what I was shopping for, and free*** shipping... now w/out any free ship option the shipping cross country so far has more than offset the savings even during their clearance sales

*** = nothing really free of course, it is bundled into the prices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klim Chugunkin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
CSI used to have a standard discount of 34%. Now it is mostly in the range 30-33%, so the prices have gone up a little. I still shop at CSI pretty much exclusively, except for occasional amazon deals, due to their loyalty program and top notch customer service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel
United States
ANDOVER
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Serious
mbmbmbmb
I also use CSI often for the same reasons as above.

Also, a couple times a game that I have ordered goes on sale the next week. When that has happened, I have just emailed CSI and they have given be a coupon voucher for the difference.

Great company!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Waller
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:

This is not my experience at all. Every B&M store I've been to has sold at or near MSRP. Dominant Species for example is selling for $80 at the two B&M stores I've been too lately and this sells for $55 at CSI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xpiredsodapop wrote:

I would LOVE to find this B&M store! I mean, if a store is connected to internet business, then yeah, good prices. But I can't imagine a stand alone B&M store having prices like CSI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only found one FLGS ever that consistently offered things off MSRP percentage-wise - Black & Read in Arvada (suburb of Denver) CO. They tend to do 20% off of MSRP. When I lived in CO I bought a *lot* from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:

xpiredsodapop wrote:

also not sure about that either, depends on where you live I guess... from my experience most B&M only board game stores sell at MSRP (and there are reports of some who sell even higher). If you live near a game store that is B&M and an online discounter, like funagain, coolstuff, miniature market, thoughthammer (rip), etc then you get the best of both worlds....

I travel a lot and visit B&M often. Rarely do I find any offering more then 10% (other then 'sale items') and even that is VERY rare.

(Unless it the extremely rare B$M attached to a OLGS)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize, let me rephrase.

I mean that I think CSI's discounts and savings are typically more than that of a B&M store. Sorry!!! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck M
United States
Brookings
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My FLGS offers boardgames off at 20% so I support him with my dollar most of the time. I find that CSI has great discount and very reasonable prices for miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
jwallerrocks wrote:

not sure about that, possibly "most" if we count them all... but the "major" (and this can be subjective) ones the "base" is 20%, ie. the grand daddy of the online board game etailers (who also has a B&M btw). Most of the "deep" discounters imho the base is 30%. For a while boards&bits had the highest discount for any Rio Grande Games (RGG) titles, I think like 38%.

of course since the SJC court ruling a few years ago making (vertical market) price fixing not automatically illegal leading the way for publishers like Mayfair to require pricing agreements, in general the most you'll see Mayfair titles (Catan brand, etc) discounted off msrp by is 20%

xpiredsodapop wrote:

also not sure about that either, depends on where you live I guess... from my experience most B&M only board game stores sell at MSRP (and there are reports of some who sell even higher). If you live near a game store that is B&M and an online discounter, like funagain, coolstuff, miniature market, thoughthammer (rip), etc then you get the best of both worlds.

shipping as mentioned may be a bigger factor for some... at one point years back I did a lot of buying from cardhaus, had the best prices for what I was shopping for, and free*** shipping... now w/out any free ship option the shipping cross country so far has more than offset the savings even during their clearance sales

Is there a different cardhaus website than http://www.cardhaus.com (newer updated). I used to order from them quite a bit but recently have been buying from Amazon.de to purchase games I worried would sell out before they hit the US shores. I went to their site today and it looks like all the titles are from at least a year ago. I feel like I am just going to the wrong site but I can't find anything else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyspys wrote:
JeffyJeff wrote:
jwallerrocks wrote:

xpiredsodapop wrote:

Is there a different cardhaus website than http://www.cardhaus.com (newer updated). I used to order from them quite a bit but recently have been buying from Amazon.de to purchase games I worried would sell out before they hit the US shores. I went to their site today and it looks like all the titles are from at least a year ago. I feel like I am just going to the wrong site but I can't find anything else?

they redid their website a while back... apparently never changing the landing page for cardhaus.com to redirect or at least have a message/link... the new one is

www.boardgamehaus.com

looks like they also have free shipping again, but at $150+ orders... the days of me ordering $150+ are long over
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierce Ostrander
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:
I was browsing a bit on CSI's site and noticing that a lot of things tended to be around 25-30% off. Is that about right? What makes them a popular site to buy from? I know there's something about building up to bigger discounts in a loyalty program, or some such..

How about other online retailers, is that 25-30% off about typical?

A direct answer: Expect a minimum of 30%. Often it 35%. Occasionally (on daily specials and such) you'll see 50%.

20% IS NOT typical. 30%+ is typical. CSI and MM are 33%+
20% is for suckers.

Here's the mindblow for you: CSI is a brick and mortar retailer that also happens to have a massive online business. 3 stores and counting....

Now that's a business model.

Ooops - Four locations:
http://www.coolstuffgames.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fubar awol wrote:
Here's the mindblow for you: CSI is a brick and mortar retailer that also happens to have a massive online business. 3 stores and counting....

4 actually... they opened one in jacksonville last year... others are 2 in orlando area, and 1 in south florida

but here's a mind blow for you....

funagain
(board)gamehaus
miniature market
thoughthammer (rip)

etc etc are also online and brick and mortar. the B&M I think is important as they get the highest mark up on the ccg and mini's from the college kids (csi kept the winter park store open after opening 2nd orlando area location and moving warehouse to it as well because it's close to UCF, and the jacksonville store I believe they opened up near the university up there).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kreps
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
they redid their website a while back... apparently never changing the landing page for cardhaus.com to redirect or at least have a message/link... the new one is

www.boardgamehaus.com

looks like they also have free shipping again, but at $150+ orders... the days of me ordering $150+ are long over

Your link just takes me back to http://www.cardhaus.com/boardgames_info which as noted seems months out of date. I remember them launching BoardGameHaus as a separate site a while back but I also thought they went back to one site. Either way, I haven't visited in long enough that I can't tell whether this is just a temporarily broken website (showing an old backup or something) or a sign of another game store going under.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.