Subject: R'lyeh Base with General Ivan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grant S
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
This combination came up during a game I played tonight. The base states that at the beginning of each turn you can destroy a minion to gain 1 point. We ultimately ruled that the player with general ivan can "destroy" a minion to gain 1 VP without actually losing a minion. Is this correct?

Alternatively I assume the ruling applies to Bear Commando, Warbot, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Based on rulings we have received in the past I would say that was correct. That being said if Minions of Cthullu had Furthering the cause on that base I would NOT grant them a point also cause no minion was actually destroyed on that base.

EDIT: I just looked at the base and it does indeed include the "If you do" clause so I take back what I said above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Post
United States
Covington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the game designers had previously stated that you can in fact "destroy" things can't be, thereby reaping the reward without the destruction.

I believe in particular, they were discussing the awesome General Ivan / Sprout combo, which allows you to keep the Sprout and add a minion everytime.

So by extension, I would say that you played it right. In fact, he could do it every turn too, so I would suggest breaking the base asap in a situation like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at the base card.
If it says something like, destroy a minion, get a vp it is ok.
If it says destroy a minion. If you do, get a vp, you cannot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Zimmerman
msg tools
mb
I have a similar question but instead of General Ivan, Buccaneer. Buccaneer read's 'If it would be destroyed move it', but R'lyeh say's "If they do, gain a victory point." Is that 'if they do' if they choose to use the ability? or if the minion is actually destroyed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S
msg tools
The wording on buccaneer says "instead" so it never is truly destroyed. It can move, be returned or discarded. So you will never get a point on cave of shinies with Buccaneer. Have to look at R'lyeh's full text
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Tamayo
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 12 of the Rulebook says, if cards conflict, the one that say you can't do something beats the one that says you can.

R'lyeh: At the start of each player's turn, that player may destroy one of their minion's here. If they do [means, "the player can"], they gain 1 VP.

General Ivan: Ongoing: Your minions cannot be destroyed.

So you can't destroy your minions in R'lyeh and you can't gain 1 VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.