BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendations from my list rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Hines
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
K so after extensive browsing / "research" I've hammered out a basic list of games that I think I will consider for my 2nd board game buy. Mainly trying to see what everyone thinks based on my situation / likes so I can start looking to obtain one of the listed games (or one that I haven't listed). I have a spare copy of Arkham Horror that I just received (no shrink wrap, but all pieces unpunched and in pristine condition) that I'll be looking to sell / trade to get one of these games. So if I can do a 1 for 1 trade for a game it'd really be nice.

As you can see by my list I like fantasy / thematic games as well as being a LoTR / GoT nut. I want a game that can suck me into it's style as well as its gameplay. Since I have a pretty hectic work schedule, finding spare time to find others to play with is somewhat problematic at the moment. That being said, I am not against a game that is strictly multiplayer as long as the game is good (Arkham Horror can tide me over for now), but solitaire gameplay would be welcome. My only real stipulation for a game is that it not be too expensive (I likely won't spend 80+ bucks for a game), and that it not require constant purchases of expansions or decks of cards, etc. If the game HAS expansions, but I can get plenty of enjoyment out of the base game for now, that is fine by me.

On to the list:

Mage Knight
Fury of Dracula
Pandemic
Shadows over Camelot
Robinson Crusoe: Adventure on the Cursed Island (likely a future buy)
Ghost Stories
Dawn of the Zeds
Defenders of the Realm
Game of Thrones Second Edition

Note: Due to the availability / pricing of Robinson Crusoe at the moment, I'm likely going to hold off on buying it. I mainly just listed it to let people know that I know about it. Just don't want to spend 80+ bucks on a game at the moment.

So feel free to let me know which game you think is right for me, or if you have another recommendation that's cool too. If you have an idea of what games I could legitimately have a shot of trading Arkham Horror for straight up, that info would be helpful as well. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi
Mage Knight Board Game sure is a great game, especially when played solitaire. It just takes a lot of time to read and understand the rules, to set it up, to play and to put it away. So you probably would want to have (a large) tablespace where you can leave it over night.
It has quite a puzzly feel to it. The luck factor is really low. You normally think a lot when playing this game, to figure out your best move.

Pandemic is really light compared to Mage Knight - and it's really suitable to play solo as well as to play it with others. With Mage Knight, you would have to spend a lot of time in explaining to others and you definitely have to know the right people for that. Pandemic on the other hand can probably be played with everyone...
I find it quite light but really engaging in the same time.

Another game I really like for co-op and solo-play and which feels a bit similar to Pandemic is Flash Point: Fire Rescue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hines
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Yea I have to admit I've been kind of hesitant to start my first Arkham Horror play-through due to the rules and such but I'm not going to let that deter me from it or another good game.

The table space thing is an issue currently though. Having just moved to Athens (Georgia, not Greece) I don't really have any legitimate place to play my games. My current plan is to use my bed or floor to play temporarily until I can find a cheap table that's large enough to play some games on.

I've seen the Flash Point game on a few youtube channels, but the theme doesn't interest me too much (though the gameplay looked cool, and a lot like pandemic which I think has a good set of core mechanics).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you prefer fantasy themes, you would probably want Defenders of the Realm over Pandemic (it uses the same core mechanic, but the game itself is quite different still).

Mage Knight would be an obvious choice, though, being one of the best solo games out there. It's a complex and lenghty game, though, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a nice game for a reasonable price with a bit of a fantasy theme, nice mechanics and a light rule-set, which is set up in short time, can easily be played on a bed and is also a good choice for playing co-op as well as solo, I think you can't go wrong with choosing one of the other two Leacock-games:
Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert

These games sure are nothing compared to Arkham Horror or Mage Knight, but in my opinion, you can't really go wrong when paying $17 for Forbidden Desert (current price at coolstuffinc).
Sometimes, it's even possible to get Forbidden Island for less than $13.

If you hesitate to learn Arkham Horror because of the rules, I probably would not recommend to buy yet another heavy game like Mage Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Hines
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Hesitant probably wasn't the best word to describe why I haven't played arkham horror yet. It has a lot to do with my work load and a bit of laziness. That being said I don't see my situation changing much so maybe having a lighter game might be a good idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias R.
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I understood what you mean by hesitant.
I'm not afraid of learning games with heavy rules neither, but I need to have time and energy for it and this isn't always the case. So there are times I really like to have some light but nevertheless beautiful games in my collection.

Playing a solitaire game of Pandemic is nothing compared to Mage Knight - but I can even do it at 10 o'clock in the evening and get some relaxation in short time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Jones
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Mage Knight. Also Castle Ravenloft can be played single player and is pretty fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.