Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessandro Coli c/o Eastbiz Corp.
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have problems understanding the discard mechanic. Some of the player cards say something similar to

1) Action: discard this card / some other card to do something
(example: Rearguard)

while some other player cards very clearly say

2) Action: discard FROM HAND this card / some other card to do something (example: Eowyn)
3) Action: discard FROM PLAY this card / some other card to do something
(example: Beorning Beekeper)

So i wonder: when the cards just say "discard" without specifying "from where" (case 1), can the action be triggered discarding both from hand and from play?

Or ONLY from hand?

Or is it implicit that - when you discard - you always discard from play unless clearly written in the card as with Eowyn (i.e. you HAVE TO play the card - paying for it - before you can discard it) ?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discard with no other text specified, I assume, as a general fact, that it is from hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewbwm wrote:
Discard with no other text specified, I assume, as a general fact, that it is from hand.

Or from the Encounter deck straight to discard pile. This mechanic is used to discern between drawing cards and 'revealing' them ('When Revealed' effects DO trigger) vs. drawing cards and not triggering the 'When Revealed' effect (but you do use other info on the cards). The Hide X effect for instance tells you to discard X cards, and only check their Threat level.

Edit: My apologies, the Hide X effect explicitly states to discard from the Encounter deck, so my reply was off topic. It's also my interpretation that when no location from which to discard is given, it's implied that you discard from hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewbwm wrote:

I'd go the other way. "From play" should always be assumed. Rear Guard would have you discard an ally from play.

The Riddermark's Finest is meant to be discarded from play, even though it doesn't specify.

The list could go on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Teroux
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Riddermark's Finest, it makes perfect sense to discard the card from play, since the actions required are both "exhaust and discard". The only way to do that is if the card is already in play.

To answer the original poster's question, please refer to page 25 of the rulebook, under "In play" and "Out of Play":

Quote:
“Out of play” states are “in a player’s hand,” “in a deck,” or “in a discard pile.” Card effects do not interact with cards in an out of play state unless the effect specifically refers to that state.

Underline mine.

Thus, the event card Rear Guard must interact with a card in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, thank you all for the answers!

I think that the last answer leaves no room for further doubts: i had not noticed that in the rules.

So by saying "discard from play" or by just saying "discard" is the same thing. I wonder why in Beorning Beekeper they bothered to write "from play" clearly then, if it was implicit.

Anyway, i think that its not pointed very "clearly" in the rules: such a mechanic - quite common in the cards - would deserve a little paragraph by its own, while it has been addressed in a couple of "general", easy to miss and not apparently related lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mmmm i answer to myself.... thinking about it, the pointed lines in the rules dont completely address my issue...

In fact, these lines

“Out of play” states are “in a player’s hand,” “in a deck,” or “in a discard pile.” Card effects do not interact with cards in an out of play state unless the effect specifically refers to that state.

say that a card action "discard" does not allow you to discard OTHER cards, unless they are in play.

What about the cards that say "discard THIS card to do something"? These cards - if you discarded from hand - would not interact with cards in out of play state, simply because they would not interact with cards at all... so, for those, could you discard from hand even if not written?

Maybe this is the reason why - for Beorning BeeKeeper - they bothered to write it clearly in the card: "discard FROM PLAY this card...."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording to discard "Beorning Beekeeper" from play seems unnecessary, IMO. It requires the use of the card's Action, and the card HAS to be in play in order to use its Action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verdealex79 wrote:
In fact, these lines

say that a card action "discard" does not allow you to discard OTHER cards, unless they are in play.

What about the cards that say "discard THIS card to do something"? These cards - if you discarded from hand - would not interact with cards in out of play state, simply because they would not interact with cards at all... so, for those, could you discard from hand even if not written?

You're misinterpeting (perhaps just overthinking) the rules - the word "other" isn't in the rules, you added it. A card effect can interact with the same card it's written on, there doesn't have to be a different card involved.

Quote:
Maybe this is the reason why - for Beorning BeeKeeper - they bothered to write it clearly in the card: "discard FROM PLAY this card...."
Unfortunately you can't read too much into the specific wording on any cards in this game, even if you compare them to other similar cards. There are lots of examples of poor or inconsistent wording, especially from earlier in the game's history. In the case of Beorning Beekeeper, the wording on the card is just more explicit than it technically needs to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.