Popular Tags: [View All]
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw some discussion of the benefits of buying two base sets, but no one actually reporting on the actual experiential benefits of doing so. Anyone out there have 2 sets and willing to share?

My thoughts are that you will get the benefit of an extra set of dice (an expensive way to get it) and greater ability to customize armies. The one missing piece for me is the Epic two board idea. Could you play massive scenarios? I suppose yes, but not based on the scenario cards included in the sets. You would need to create your own.

Any assessment from the community?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two sets. The extra dice are nice, as are the extra units; just adds a little more flexibility to army building by allowing you to build more than the one-set limit for certain unit types. Not really "necessary", but I think it's beneficial.

I don't think you'd really need more than that, as fielding 3 Rocs or Chaos Lords probably would be somewhat rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought two for the same reasons + one more. I can now accommodate 4 players on game nights which increases the chances of it hitting the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can play 2 vs 2 with the base set as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
Understood. Now I can play with 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cann
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleLore 2nd edition: Overlord!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would depend on how competitive you're playing. When I was playing Star Wars: The Card Game during the regionals season, two core sets was absolutely necessary. But now that I play mostly with family, I'm usually playing with just the core set pre-built decks.

I imagine it would be same with BattleLore 2nd Edition. If you're playing against other people who are really into it and are trying to optimize strategies, I'd guess that a second set could be handy. But if you're just playing pick-up games with family and friends, 1 set may be enough (especially if you're using pre-built armies). I plan on buying just 1 set (and my copy should be coming to my FLGS this week! ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falk Nitzsche
Germany
Jena
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm considering to buy a second core set too.
In some scenarios it would be a big thing for building a proper army, like these where you can get VPs for rune golems in special positions (having only 2 units, with 3 models each is not very stable) or blood in the water so the Uthuk could field more flesh rippers.

In general it would be nice to field two Rocs too. I think the mobility plus the fighting power is a pain in the ass for the Uthuks. But I don't see how 2-3 Chaoslords could work out well. 1 is good to secure an area on the battlefield, 3 is a to big sink in points.

And than plus 4 dice, this is the most needed out of the second set.

Downside is clearly the price. Plus I personal think the will make expansions for the dice (100% sure) and maybe the units too. So first painting all the existing, than have a look again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate C&C: Ancients as, say, a 6 or maybe 7 when played on 1 map. I rate it a solid 9 when played with the "Epic" expansion, which combines two boards.

I would not be at all surprised if I wind up feeling similarly about BL2E. Just given my experience with C&C:A, I'm inclined to place a lot of value on having the 2nd board and ability to build epic size armies.

For C&C:A, they were able to publish Epic scenarios; for BL2E, in order to get official support, they'd need to make new scenario cards. But since the payoff for them is selling extra copies of the base game, I think they have some incentive to do just that, somewhere down the line. Until then, I'm guessing there will be fan-made scenario cards that are basically scaled-up versions of the base scenarios.

If it was just the ability to build more flexible armies, I wouldn't have bought 2 sets; for me, the prospect of using both boards for larger games was the inducement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering buying an additional set, too. However, although I have loads of C&C Ancients sets, and have played the 'epic' version, I prefer the single map version. The rules for using extra cards seem clumsy. I hope, if FF do make a larger version, they will make the rules simpler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had double of almost everything form the first edition of the game—but it turned out that having two copies for that game didn't matter much. Expansion scenarios were built around needing only the expansion and the base set.

This time around I've decided to wait a bit before doubling down, even though FFG is subtly encouraging that you do it. Maybe if a buddy in my group gets a set, there won't be any need. For extra dice, I just went out and marked up a clutch of blanks!

A friend thought it would be pretty cool if the next expansion were a stand-alone set featuring the Undead and the Elves, their special cards, and decks. That would give players with the current set their second map, dice, Command deck, a new mix of terrain, and any updates to the rules. And if 'Epic' rules were included, so much the better. New players could get either set they preferred.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.