Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Fief: France 1429» Forums » General

Subject: Historical France? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the original Fief was set anywhere specific (much like GWs Warrior Knights), but with the new addition being subtitled 'France 1429' I'm assuming this takes place in some historical region.

Where? I had trouble placing it looking at google maps.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Jack Hooligan wrote:
I don't think the original Fief was set anywhere specific (much like GWs Warrior Knights), but with the new addition being subtitled 'France 1429' I'm assuming this takes place in some historical region.

Where? I had trouble placing it looking at google maps.

From the map, I can read "Blaye" which is just north of Bordeaux.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q=blaye+france&data=!1m....1
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
And the Gironde estuary looks to be depicted on the board, which is where Blaye is situated.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Jack Hooligan wrote:
I don't think the original Fief was set anywhere specific (much like GWs Warrior Knights), but with the new addition being subtitled 'France 1429' I'm assuming this takes place in some historical region.

Where? I had trouble placing it looking at google maps.

From the map, I can read "Blaye" which is just north of Bordeaux.

https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q=blaye+france&data=!1m....1


Right, but where is Sennecy? Looking at the following image I'd expect it to be sorta close to Blaye.

http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1877363/fief-france-1429

Perhaps it's been renamed?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Here is the full board. It may be that villages changed in the last 500+ years or they just may be abstracted in. Pugnac is on this map and about in the right location to Blaye. But there is also a Tournus and that is showing near Switzerland.

So my guess is this is the central-southwest area of France.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Oops.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Next question...so, is this game supposed to take place during the Hundred Years War? I was under the impression the game only had French nobles.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
I don't think this a historical simulation. I think they are just trying to inject some flavor into it.

The board we both referenced is from the previous edition. Not even sure if they are using this artwork or revising it.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The board doesn't represent an existing area. It's fictionnal, but uses some real city and villages names. IIRC, the rules intro indicate that it could be located in the Bordeaux or Burgundy region, wherever the players fancy.
By the way, the board hasn't changed much, since the the 1st edition.

EDIT: Above, I'm referring to the 1st (84), 2nd (89) and 3rd (2011) editions. Boards are 100% identical in 1st and 2nd ed, in 3rd ed (pictured in post above) the frontiers and numbers of fiefs and bishoprics has changed but the overall layout, cities names, roads are the same.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is not representing historical reality.

Examples of historical inaccuracies:

-King always marries maternally in feif, which is unlikely historically.

-A Duchy is made up of a bunch of counties and a county is made up of several estates they are not independent like shown on the map. They could be, but the map is suppose to represent de jure.

-Succession is abstractly represented in the game as the game does not keep track of the specifies necessary to do it properly.

-Standing armies were uncommon. The more common practice was to raise an army when you need it.

I think that makes the point.
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandar Licul
Austria
Krems an der Donau
Niederösterreich
flag msg tools
Avatar
I am OK with the game not being focused on historical facts; that being said I would really like that developers/designers/publishers remove year from the title, as that creates this history dilemma for many people.

Just name the game Fief - France, or Fief - France Feuds or something similar...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean
France
Aveyron
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you, Uhr78.

The board isn't a real part of France. 1429 is the date of the orleans' siege (100 years war), but there is nothing in link to this event.

It's a good thing to re-edit this game, but I would have prefer a more vague title.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I guess the "new" name is mostly meant to be consistent with Academy games' catalog, since most of their games have a name with a year in it...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thierry Mattray
France
Nantes
flag msg tools
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:
Well, I guess the "new" name is mostly meant to be consistent with Academy games' catalog, since most of their games have a name with a year in it...


Yes. There will not be any date on french name. ;)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Courtight
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the controversy of the year is not so much having it there, more so what year it should be.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean
France
Aveyron
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The First and second versions of Fief were supposed to take place in the XII-XIII century, which match better with the templars and crusades.

In this new version, there are bombards, that are in use in the XV century (2 centuries later).

So, no year can really match to the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalek5 wrote:
I think the controversy of the year is not so much having it there, more so what year it should be.


I agree. I'm all for having a year on it, I'm just not sure this one makes the best sense.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean
France
Aveyron
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would have been better to use the year 1100 (beginning of the 12 century) since the system of vote for kings and the clothes/armours of the characters are from this period.

The bombard can be replaced by an "arbalète à tour" (I don't know the world in english), it's a kind of ballista.

I think I will make a token for this. If I do it, I will post it on BGG.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Stubbs
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
anarkojean wrote:
The First and second versions of Fief were supposed to take place in the XII-XIII century, which match better with the templars and crusades.

In this new version, there are bombards, that are in use in the XV century (2 centuries later).

So, no year can really match to the game.


It bugged me that Templars and Crusades were included in a game theoretically set after both were long defunct, but that hasn't stopped me from backing it or being stoked about it. I think I'll just pretend it's set in the 12th century!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Can we consider it a dyslexic mistake? And call it 1249?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff White
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Can we consider it a dyslexic mistake? And call it 1249?


Bingo! How about a 1249 cover sticker as a stretch goal? :)
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Stubbs
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Hooligan wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Can we consider it a dyslexic mistake? And call it 1249?


Bingo! How about a 1249 cover sticker as a stretch goal?


I can get behind that!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.