Popular Tags: [View All]
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not getting rid of sites completely, but as cards. I've only played a few times so far with the challenge decks, but I always feel a little restricted exploration wise by being limited to just my site deck.

I play on a large printed map, I was thinking about getting a printout of all the sites in the game and using that for the information and otherwisejust moving to whatever site is within reach on the map. I could use tokens to mark tapped "explored" sites. Otherwise I don't see that this would be an issue unless part of the game is being restricted in the sites you can visit. Is your site deck only supposed to have a certain amount of cards in it? Would this make it too easy to waltz around middle earth playing your items/etc?

This just really feels like it wants to be a board game, I'm looking for ways to make it more so!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy enough to print out proxies of all the site cards. They have so much info, it would be a pain to have to look from the map, find the card, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Barker
United States
Winchester
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just use all the site cards I own. I sleeve them and on the reverse is an item you can play there. Just like in the Arda rules. Only a select few are playable on any given turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Riley
United Kingdom
Bridport
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the OP's problem. I play with all the Site cards and use tokens on a map, the ME map which has all the terrain symbols and also a key of all the symbols on the map at the different locations so you know what type of card you can play there. You go where you like, the only restriction is if you don't have all the Site cards. If you don't, print them off from here http://www.chrisvos.com/meuk/lackey/meccg/sets/setimages/

However, although I don't need Site cards to show where I am on the map, what cards can be played at a location, what the terrain is at the Site, what terrain types I travelled through for when I use region movement, I still can't play the game without the Site cards as they also tell me (1) how many cards I pick up, (2) how many cards my opponent picks up, (3) if it is a tapped non-Haven Site in the Discard Pile I know I can't go there again, (4) where the nearest Haven is, (5) what terrain types I travelled through when using starter movement, (6) what the automatic attacks are for the Site, (7) any special consequences of being at the Site.

By all means use a map which I think helps seeing where everything is and also game immersion but I'm afraid MECCG is a card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcelo Prado Silva
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not restricted to the sites in the chalenge decks; you can have your companies go wherever you want; I understand that those sites provided with those decks are "the best" for that particular deck in the way the autor felt, and also, of course, being sold in a deck format restricted the amount of cards it could have.

When you create your own deck, the size of the locations deck is not limmited to a certain number, but you can only play a card in a given site once for each deck cicle.

I also encourage you to use some sort of a map, but don´t get rid of the cards for reasons already pointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, part of the problem was that I was assuming you were only allowed to use a certain number of sites during deckbuilding and wanted to make sure it was ok to draw from a pool of all the sites.

Also, if all sites are available, it seems just as easy to make a large spreadsheet with all site information (auto attacks, cards drawn, etc) as it would to be sort through a big stack of 50 site cards every turn.

And you could easily use markers of some kind on the map to indicate tapped sites.

And slightly off topic, I got a 3' X 4' version this map printed up at walmart for like $18 and it looks awesome! Best MECCG map I've found yet:
http://ubuntuone.com/25kxvQlf931wFcmuBMI7Jm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Uvatha the horseman wrote:
You are not restricted to the sites in the chalenge decks;

I think if you were playing with the official rules of the challenge decks, you were restricted to using its site cards...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Riley
United Kingdom
Bridport
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isley, that is by far the best MECCG map I have seen. If only they had put the symbols on it for what cards are playable. Of course you can put that information off map but it makes deciding where to go very much harder/slower. Anyway, thanks for the great map, I shall certainly be taking it to the print shop soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uisge Beatha
Scotland
flag msg tools
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
badge
Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 - 84.7% turnout
mb
goatleaf wrote:
Isley, that is by far the best MECCG map I have seen.

Yes, but what size should it be printed for the "1inch = 60 miles" legend to be accurate?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Loblah
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Yeah, it really was a gorgeous map. This scan is spectacular!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I really hope Isley (thrasymachus) is still around because I missed that amazing scan. It shows up on Google Images as an image but the link is dead. Would you mind terribly sharing that image? I would love to have a copy to print out myself. Thank you in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
Training field technicians at trade school level
badge
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it."
mbmbmbmbmb
manaman wrote:
I really hope Isley (thrasymachus) is still around because I missed that amazing scan. It shows up on Google Images as an image but the link is dead. Would you mind terribly sharing that image? I would love to have a copy to print out myself. Thank you in advance!

I have a copy of that map. Until
Isley
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
comes in to fix his broken link, feel free to grab it here: dropbox link.

Incidentally, I'm working on a color coded version of that map to get a quick overview of what is playable at which sites:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.