Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris S
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

Our group mostly plays Here I Stand/Virgin Queen and we only recently tried TNW. As a result, I'm certain we were applying some Here I Stand-esque rules. None of us realized this, but halfway through one person realized that you didn't need lines of communication to attack places. Is this the case? I would imagine it would still be useful to ensure a valid retreat space. A few clarifications: Passes cost only 1CP, but they cause combat penalties and attrition if to a non-friendly space. Is there any winter-like thing in Interphase? And does deployment have to be from the capital? Are disrupts ended after the combat, or after the impulse? My biggest question is how minor powers work. I found the rule book very confusing and not very helpful on this front. We thought it cost one CP to move the consul marker down the track, but then there were several 6-CP events that said to move two spaces, which seemed a ripoff. Does a "pact" have any special meaning? We couldn't find anything about it in the rule book, but there were several cards that stated "may break pact status." We played a great game, and hopefully we can play an even better one once we get these rules clarified.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
If ye see the laird, tell him this makes the twelve hunner and nineteen time that Jennet Clouston has called down the curse on him and his house, byre and stable, man, guest, and master, wife, miss, or bairn—black be their fall! -RLStevenson
mbmbmbmbmb
There are three types of duchies in terms of ownership:

Controlled
Enemy
Uncontrolled.

If you have an army on an enemy's duchy, that's an uncontrolled duchy.

If you move from an uncontrolled duchy to an enemy duchy, you suffer attrition: roll Xd6, where X = number of units + generals. Each 6 kills a unit, though the French have special attrition rules.

You may retreat from combat to an enemy duchy, but if you do, you suffer attrition again.

Passes: correct.

Interphase: if you are on an uncontrolled duchy, roll attrition. If you survive, you convert the duchy to your own, except for a fortress. Interphase deployment must be from the capital, yes, but during the turn troops can brought in any any friendly home or associate duchy.

Disrupts are ended after the combat - they only impact you during a second round of combat (reduced combat dice) or in a rout, in which case they count as 6s.

Diplomatic track: pay the cost to move it into the next box as shown in that box. Going up, that's 2, 2, 4, 5. Going down that's 4, 2, 2, 2 (I think - I don't have the map in front of me).

Pact: yes, you get to use the nation's cards and troops. Can only be lost by pact-breaking cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot! I knew we were playing the Diplomatic track wrong, but it definitely pays off to have an LOC!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another quick question: Do neutral minor powers use their reserves or just the card(s) dealt to them? I was also wondering what a patrol is. I would have though a naval battle ensues immediately once there are two enemy fleets in the same sea zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffan O'Sullivan
United States
Plymouth
NH
flag msg tools
"To be honorable and just is our only defense against men without honor or justice." -Diogenes of Sinope
badge
If ye see the laird, tell him this makes the twelve hunner and nineteen time that Jennet Clouston has called down the curse on him and his house, byre and stable, man, guest, and master, wife, miss, or bairn—black be their fall! -RLStevenson
mbmbmbmbmb
Neutrals do not use their reserves. If they are out of cards, they skip their turn. If later, they enter pact, the allied Power gets to use their Reserve at that point.

Edit: sorry, I misunderstood the patrol question. Enemy squadrons have to find each other in order to fight - it's not automatic like armies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So for patrolling, do they have to roll a modified "9" to fight a battle? Is the battle normal (ie eliminates, disrupts etc)? If they enter a port, I'm presuming a naval battle automatically ensues. Another question, can a power pass with cards in their hand as in Here I Stand (thinking especially of T1 Prussia).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.