flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that " You may not use more general knowledge than expertise."

They break up the cards into 3 sections:
Expertise
General Knowledge
Assistant cards

Since these cards appear to be wild knowledge I think they would be considered general knowledge, but the rules are unclear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've wondered about this too.

Assistant cards are "one-use" though, correct? I could see one arguing that because they in fact only ever get to influence one dig at one particular dig site, they might be seen as one specific kind of knowledge (of your choice, of course) and not just 'general knowledge' about archeology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Neil
United States
Winona
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We had the same question, and we finally resolved to just ignore the assistant cards when comparing knowledge and used the rules as written, comparing only the general knowledge book cards and expertise book cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that the assistants are not supposed to be general knowledge because the cards display closed books - while general knowledge is represented by open books.

In addition, both the English and German rules stipulate the limitations on "general knowledge" (Allgemeinwissen) relative to "expertise" (Spezialwissen) using carefully chosen terms that refer to those specific cards. These terms are never used to refer to the assistant cards.

Thus, I would infer that use of assistant cards are not limited as general knowledge.

This lack of limitation seems consistent with the weaker nature of these cards in that they are discarded after use. See my update here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kohn Jevinston
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I treated them as Specific Knowledge. In this way, if you had 4 Yellow books and 5 General books, using an Assistant would let you have 10 books total (5+5) for one excavation only, and then you'd go back to a cap of 8 (4+4).

However, since the Assistants are not permanent, they would not allow you to take the Professor from another player (if using the same example, another player got to 4 yellow books first).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.