Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick question regarding something that came up in an (epic) tiebreaker match we had today, and this really applies to End of Beat effects in general.

Joal's "Ironstar" base says "Opponents can not move past you."

ARIA's "Dimensional" style says "End of Beat: Move direct to any space."

Now, I already know that direct movement like that IS affected by effects like Joal's, but the question was whether, at End of Beat, if Joal's Ironstar effect is still in place.

We ruled that it did, since we considered "End of Beat" to still be part of the beat itself, not an "after beat is over" kind of effect.

But still, figured I'd get the opinion of the community (or potentially Brad himself!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
Passive effects (any effect without a specific timing window) are active for as long as the card is active. The effect only goes away after attack pairs are discarded (the Recycle step). End of Beat effects are before that, so they're affected by passive effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vines
United States
Blue Springs
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
while Joal's "Opponents can not move past you." is still in effect, the important thing to note in this interaction is that Aria's movement is direct.

Think of it as Aria disappearing, the reappearing in the new space. She never actually moves past Joal, so I think this movement should be allowed.

Note that if Joal's effect read more like "Opponents can not switch sides with you this beat." Then the movement would not be allowed.

Edit -- Struck incorrect information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Parsa
Germany
flag msg tools
It's better
badge
if you can do without
mbmbmb
"Opponents cannot move past you" and "Opponents cannot switch sides with you" are the same thing. Refer to the movement section of the rulebook for this where Shekhtur cannot move directly behing Eligor who has such an effect active.
I'd also heard that "cannot move past" will be changed to "cannot switch sides" in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
mvines wrote:
while Joal's "Opponents can not move past you." is still in effect, the important thing to note in this interaction is that Aria's movement is direct.

Think of it as Aria disappearing, the reappearing in the new space. She never actually moves past Joal, so I think this movement should be allowed.

Note that if Joal's effect read more like "Opponents can not switch sides with you this beat." Then the movement would not be allowed.

Yeah, Phyr above is correct. If you look in the rulebook, there is a very specific example that shows that direct movement is still affected by things like Joal's effect.

The question was just whether the effect is still in play at End of Beat, which it seems it is! Thanks for the help folks!

Also, with this last tiebreaker match, I think I officially convinced my friend to buy this game. He only really plays games with me, though he does own a copy of Ghost Stories, and he's seriously considering picking this up after five games this week. Woo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.