Popular Tags: [View All]
Danut
Romania
flag msg tools
badge
Board games are better than video games
mbmbmbmb
Hello

Sorry for bothering you,but I am curious to know your opinion regarding Memoir 44 the house rule variant. I have to say that the variations for the Memoir were in fact a compilation of ideas made by users from the bgg. All I have done was to put together their ideas “under the same roof”.

So,here are the variant rules for Memoir:

1.Fight back. When an Infantry or Armour unit is attacked in close combat,a player may choose to have the attacked unit fight back if it did not retreat and was not eliminated.Battle dice and terrain dice reduction are applying.A unit that fights back may not Take Ground or Armour Overrun afterward,even if the attacking unit retreats or is eliminated.
2.Die reduction per units lost. Infantry: 4 units= roll normal (3 dice maximum),2-3 units =2 dice maximum,1 unit=cannot fire. Terrain dice reduction is applying.
3.Grenade symbol. The grenade symbol is a hit,but only at a range of 1 hex,because the grenades in real world confruntations are only used in close combats. What is over 1 hex=no hit(miss).
4.Artillery. An artillery unit that is attacked in close assault by an infantry or armour unit treats flag as hits. This is to represent the crews manning the guns not having enough time to pack up their guns and abandoning them,as they feel they are about to be overrun.
5.Joining units. 2 or more fragmented units can join together using the move order from the command deck,and only if they are adjacent,and then the turn is over. The new crew must have 4 units maximum.
6.Rivers. Rivers may be crossed by infantry only,which must stop in the river hex before moving on in a future turn. Attacks from river hexes are at -2.If attacked while in a river hex,flags(retreats) causes hits and force the remaining unist if only to retreat.
7.Hills and armour. The movement costs to move up onto a hill is always 2.Moving from one hill to another or from a hill hex to any other non hill hex costs one as normal.This prevents armour racing through hill country as if it were flat.
8.Wreckage. When an Armor unit is destroyed, leave 1 figure in the hex on its side or turned over. This will limit mobility on the battle field.
Move: Armor must stop when it enters a hex with Wreckage. Artillery and Infantry are not affected.
Battle: Infantry may ignore first flag. Armor and Artillery are not affected.
9.Dead infantry. When an Infantry unit is destroyed, leave 1 figure in the hex on its side. This will affect the moral of fellow troops.
Move: Infantry must stop when it enters a hex with Dead Infantry. Artillery and Armor are not affected. This rule is applying only to friendly units.
Battle: Infantry battles out at -1 die. May remove comrade -OR- battle.
10. Support. Ignore flags due to having an adjacent friendly unit.
11.Wheather and day cycle. You can find the here http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/mypage/362174/m44/story at variant section.

OK. I want to play the game with all this rules. What do you think about that?

Thank you !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ien C.
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it will be quite a different game but am curious to hear how it goes, and how it compares to the original game. Thanks for sharing and please let us know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C.
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ghopper21 wrote:
I think it will be quite a different game but am curious to hear how it goes, and how it compares to the original game. Thanks for sharing and please let us know!

Yeah. YOU give it a few plays and let US know how it goes! Sounds interesting to say the least, and supports how fun and adaptable this game really is. It's like a wargamers toolbox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Roper
South Africa
Hout Bay
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have my own variant for what you list as close combat.

This rule applies to infantry only, Armour would attack and perform over run as normal.

If an Infantry unit is adjacent to an enemy unit it may choose between Close Range Fire and Assault.
Close range Fire is like any other ranged attack:

1) Close Range Fire

1a) Grenade symbols DO NOT count as HITS
1b) Even if the Target is eliminated or forced to retreat the attacker MAY NOT Take Ground.
1c) Even if the Target survives the attack it MAY NOT Battle Back.

In other words Close Range Fire is like any other ranged attack but is conducted from an adjacent hex.

Assault on the other hand is a determined attempt to take over the target Hex and has the following differences:

2) Assault

2a) Grenade symbols count as HITS.
2b) If the target is eliminated or forced to retreat the attacking unit MUST Take Ground.
2c) If the Target survives, without retreating, it may Battle Back.

3) Battle Back

3a) Grenade symbols DO NOT count as HITS during the Battle Back unless it is declared as a Counter Assault.
3b) Even if the Battle Back eliminates the Attacker the Defender MAY NOT Take Ground.

4) Counter Assault

4a) Grenade symbols count as HITS.
4b) If a Counter Assault is declared the defender is considered to have moved and any prepared Defences (i.e. Sandbags) are lost.
4c) Even if the Battle Back eliminates the Attacker the Defender MAY NOT Take Ground.

Cheers
Chris

Edited for clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Adriani
Italy
Calolziocorte (LC) - Ispra (VA)
Lombardia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I don't just enjoy life: I game-design it
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody! I'm very happy (and a bit surprised) to find a so young thread about this topic. I was expecting it "a must".

I consider myself a "almost serious wargamer" and I was going to expirement some house rules, but before doing it I thought "let check BGG first". I agree about definition of this product as a wargames toolbox (by Dave C.).

So ... the first house rule that I was expecting was about ZOC (Zone of Control). For instance, waht do you think about this?

http://www.daysofwonder.com/de/mypage/447697/m44/story

But I also agree (partially) with the idea that ZOC are already implemented (silently) into the game, as explained by Mark Jackson here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/413212/close-combat-rules

what do you think?

ps: in the meanwhile I'll start to experiment the house rules from this thread!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Rasmussen
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been lots of other threads about House Rules before this one, and there will be lots more after. One of the wonderful things about Memoir '44 is that it's a simple system that allows for lots of custom ideas and rules!

Have fun. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Adriani
Italy
Lombardia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, I was expecting it (the lot of threads). By the way, do you think are there some official advanced rules for expert wargames? I was expecting to find them at least here:

http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/content/rules/

but so far I found only new scenarios, terrains and campaigns. Even the "advanced play" button leads only to the FAQ page, and not lead to an official advanced ruleset.

Generally I don't like the approach "get it more advanced by adding features, terrains and scenario", but I prefer the approach "keep it simple by changing the game model". For instance, I would first change some "wrong" rules before adding some "advanced terrain". An example could be rule n.4 suggested by danutzek danutzek, which is much better than the original (usually artillery are weaker, when taking hits, than armoured units). For the same reason I also like rules 6 (rivers, also from danutzek ) and the suggestion of Chris Roper: the possibility to choose between close range fire and assault is a good idea, since this is almost a standard in many wargames.

Going back to my question: are there some official advanced rules for the basic scenarios? Can I consider this thread as one of the master review of all the house rules?

I do like the sentence "All I have done was to put together their ideas “under the same roof". Wonderful work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
serkelion wrote:
Generally I don't like the approach "get it more advanced by adding features, terrains and scenario", but I prefer the approach "keep it simple by changing the game model".

Ok, but your example of variant rules you liked (#4, #6, and #7) are actually already present in specific scenarios. IIRC most scenarios with artillery starting in bunkers are unable to retreat, a few scenarios have boats for infantry, and a few scenarios have high hills that take an extra move.

I don't like #1 - really weakens close combat. #3 is interesting, but I think grenades should still hit at distance against artillery. #2 (Weakening attack power) would only be viable if in combination with #5 (Joining units). I think #10 is implemented in some of the other C&C games where forming a strong line a main tactic.

I really like #8 and #9 - might better balance the scenarios where the defending Germans are easily overrun. Good for the D-Day beach scenarios.

I would like to try some suppressing fire variant rules, like when a star is rolled, place the die on the attacked unit and it can't attack next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Adriani
Italy
Lombardia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:

serkelion wrote:
Generally I don't like the approach "get it more advanced by adding features, terrains and scenario", but I prefer the approach "keep it simple by changing the game model".

Ok, but your example of variant rules you liked (#4, #6, and #7) are actually already present in specific scenarios.

Yes, I'm sorry, my sentence wasn't clear. You are right, many house rules listed here can be simply addeded using a scenario-oriented approach. For instance, instead of saying "rivers are passable to infantry, but they attack from rivers at -2" we could simply print a house-made terrain card describing torrents, which differ from rivers exactly because they are passable to infrantry with the -2 modifier.

Btw, I did'n write that I like #7, but just #4 and #6.

After some testing (in the last 2 days) I discarded all these house rules and I'm using only #4 (artillery reduction with flags in close combact). Now I'm experimenting the basic scenarios with just some changes to the general rules, which are:

1) Introduction of Zone Of Control (ZOC): units must stop when entering an enemy ZOC, and can leave the ZOC only to disengage
2) Changing retreat direction: units must retreat in the opposite direction of the attacker (instead of the direction of their board side)
3) Artillery convert all flags to losses in close combact (even when flags should be ignored). This is #4 in the original list above.

Being a physicist I cant' resist and I'm calculating some of the changes in the odds due to modifications #1, #2, #3 and #4.

I hope to share these results soon or later (for the time being they are just a couple of pages full of numbers... meaningfull only to myself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
serkelion wrote:

2) Changing retreat direction: units must retreat in the opposite direction of the attacker (instead of the direction of their board side)

I really like this rule. It allows for more variation in scenarios, since units can start on any side of the board. I was going to try a variant where units must retreat to a space that is not adjacent to the attacking unit (so they can up to 3 options to retreat).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron H
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
I play Memor 44,Tide of Iron, and Axis and Allies:1942!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a chart of some of the house rules I sometimes use:

http://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/nlgf9vub1v/My_House_R...

Here is a detailed rule chart for light tanks (like the dow rule page for Patrol Cars or Half Tracks)

http://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/6i5xi6f86q/Light_Tank...

And for Tiger II tanks:

http://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/76zf16e9sl/House_King...

I also use two armor figures for Japanese armor because their armor was so light (except on one or two tank models) and the same for Italian armor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Adriani
Italy
Lombardia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rongammer wrote:

Thank you very much! That is what I was looking for! Now I'll read them and I'llstart some testing... :

Btw: I guess that all the PDF listed in the page linked above are reviews and updates of the same ruleset, aren't they? If this is correct, could you confirm that I need just the last review?

It's seem to be the one date Oct 13, 2013 (My House Rules 42.pdf).

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron H
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
I play Memor 44,Tide of Iron, and Axis and Allies:1942!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
serkelion wrote:
rongammer wrote:

Thank you very much! That is what I was looking for! Now I'll read them and I'llstart some testing... :

Btw: I guess that all the PDF listed in the page linked above are reviews and updates of the same ruleset, aren't they? If this is correct, could you confirm that I need just the last review?

It's seem to be the one date Oct 13, 2013 (My House Rules 42.pdf).

Thank you!

Well, yes. The detailed rules sheets go into my rules binder with the other detailed rules sheets DoW put out. If you need a detailed rules sheet for the Tiger Tanks (Units #16), Check it out here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/file/download/76wcf10f15/mm_tiger_t...

(Days of Wonder never released the sheet of detailed rules for the Tiger tanks. I don't know why)

"And while the hordes of death are mighty, the battalions of life are mightier still. It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Adriani
Italy
Lombardia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody!

I build a simple software application which evaluates odds for some of the variants discussed above, and also for some other variants which I tested as personal house rules. These are the variants I evaluated the odds for:

- Flag scenario: flags are always converted into losses for artillery attacked in close combact (#4 in original post)
- Star scenario: stars are always converted into losses when armoured attacks in close combact an infantry or an artillery
- Flag and Star scenario: odds evaluated applying both the Flag and Star scenario above
- Strong scenario: granade hits armoured units only when in close combact (variant of #3 in original post)
- Flag and Strong scenario: odds evaluated applying both the Flag and Strong scenario above

You can find the spreadsheet with all odds here, or from this page, in the wargames section.

How to read the spreadsheet file

- The hits sheet: shows the average damages received by the target unit at given distance (horizontal, on top of each section)
when attacked by the source unit (vertical data, on the left)
- The life sheet: shows the average lifes, measured in number of attacks a unit can bear before being eliminated, using the same notation of the "hits" sheet
- The red numbers depicts the differences among the odds for a given scenario and the standard scenario (i.e. the odds evaluated with respect of the official rules, without any house rule)

Hope this can help to compare different house rule!

Ah... of course: if you think such spreadsheet can be really useful, I could upload it in the file section of the game: what do you think?

Some usage examples:

Without any house rule, when artillery is attacked in close combact, it receives 0.50 damages on each attack (on average).
We find this value on cells F7, F8, F9 of the "hits" spreadsheet. On the other hand, having 2 figures, this means also that (on average)
such artillery can bear 4 attacks before being destroyed. We find this value on cells F7, F8, F9 of the "life" spreadsheet.

Applying the "Flag" house rule, we find that an artillery attacked in close combact receives on average 1.0 on each attack, instead of
just 0,5 like in the standard scenario. We find this value on cells F14, F15, F16 of the "hits" spreadsheet. Again, if we consider "average life" of the unit instead of
"average received hits", we found that such artillery will live on average for 2 attacks before being destroyed. In fact we find this
value on cells F14, F15, F16 of the "life" spreadsheet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari Kemppainen
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
badge
The state flag of Finland from January to May 1918
mbmbmbmbmb
re:
Ryan Keane wrote:

I was going to try a variant where units must retreat to a space that is not adjacent to the attacking unit (so they can up to 3 options to retreat).

I like also the variant where you can choose the retreat path from those three directions. Every one of them takes the unit away from the attacker.

Have any of you thought or played some artillery range strength variant? Like 123321 or 222222 instead of standard 332211? Or is an artillery firing meant to be direct firing in all situations and that is why the strength decreases from short to long range?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
jari58 wrote:
Have any of you thought or played some artillery range strength variant? Like 123321 or 222222 instead of standard 332211? Or is an artillery firing meant to be direct firing in all situations and that is why the strength decreases from short to long range?

Nope, but I like the idea of trying 123321, at least on certain scenarios - encourages you to charge the artillery, but I think in general makes artillery weaker, especially because they can't retreat and fire. I like the big guns targeting (I think from the Terrain Pack), which gives better simulation of zeroing in artillery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jari Kemppainen
Finland
Kuopio
flag msg tools
badge
The state flag of Finland from January to May 1918
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
Nope, but I like the idea of trying 123321, at least on certain scenarios - encourages you to charge the artillery, but I think in general makes artillery weaker, especially because they can't retreat and fire. I like the big guns targeting (I think from the Terrain Pack), which gives better simulation of zeroing in artillery.

How does that big gun targeting works?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
jari58 wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:

How does that big gun targeting works?

When the artillery hits a target, you place a target marker on the hex, which remains there until the targeted units move, or the artillery moves. The marker allows artillery to roll 1 additional die each attack on that hex. In practice, it just encourages targeted units to move and doesn't trigger that often.

Here's the link to the rules card:
http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/content/cards_compen...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.