Subject: GoW or Omega Protocol for solo play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gears of War, as it is made with solo play in mind so you don't have to modify anything, plus its a damn good game.

I like Omega Protocol but the Overseer has 'meaningful choices' as stated often elsewhere as compared to other games where someone has to be a quasi-GM, and that would make automating the Overseer a lot harder unless you are good at actively playing both sides in an impartial way.

Both are great games, but if you want solo play go Gears of War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoW is a co-op game, so it's inherently a solo game. It's designed from the group up to not have a 'versus' opponent (you have the AI cards instead).

L7OP is a fun game, but does require an opponent to play. Some players though like playing both sides, and if you randomize the room cards, then it plays pretty well in a "solo" fashion. I've done it twice, just to make sure I understood the rules, and found that it's pretty good.

Between the two, I'd probably get GoW first. The one advantage L7OP would have is if you do find a friend to play with, I find it more enjoyable than GoW. But if you never find that friend to play with, then GoW would be your better buy.

If you want a fun iOS game though, check out the new Space Hulk. I'm having lots of fun both on my PC and my iPad

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randomizing the room cards makes for a less than ideal Overseer play, but only marginally less. And it makes for some really surprising gameplay that can be rather fun.

As for Space Hulk, I was fortunate a friend gave me a copy on PC for Christmas. Felt they did a good enough job I bought the iPad one. Unfortunately for iPad, 'bonus' campaigns cost more money (currently $2.99, $4.99 and $4.99 for the three campaigns). I also miss the mouse-over effect on the pad, but overall it's not a bad solo way to play the game.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally they are both great games, so get both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.