Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Coriasco
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I understand the balance issues with dropping speed radically, however can you 'drop your shields' at will? Like if there are no more immediate threats and want to make teleporting easier?

I know the more logical move would be to transfer power out somewhere else so you don't lose it, but just curious if there are any balance issues I'm not seeing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly I think it's a timing issue. Phases are such small periods of time, that the gradual transfer of energy to other systems simulates the time needed to drop shields. However - that being said, I can't think of any scenarios where the time it takes would impact the balance of it.

Dumping energy (in my opinion) should be allowed, as long as building it up again still takes the same amount of time - as that's the more game critical part.

Plus "drop shields" is a trope of scifi pulp and therefore should be part of the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Strauss
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The threats end only when you jump away or the mission ends. If you want it specifically for the teleporter use the cargo item "shield transponder" or the Megateleportometer.

Cheers,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Siadek
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want borders to be able to easily drop power levels.

I'm considering for 2nd edition some new rule changes.

Slagging the Science Bay is a quick way to dump shield power to zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Slagging isn't that easy though (1 in 6 per shot) - unless there is some rule on slagging your own ship that makes it easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Vilter
United States
California
flag msg tools
Wouldn't just damaging the Science Bay drop the shields (even if the power for them persists)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cobcroft
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The shield generators are a bit more resilient than the Science Bay

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.