Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just tried the 1912 expansion today, but, alas, a few nagging questions arose:

#1: What are the movement rules for reaching the South Pole?
The red figure text on p. 7 says: 'The player who has not yet reached the South Pole follows the same rules of the southward trip until he reaches it, although he won't be able to make the opponent lose the route.'

The text is not too clear here. Rhetorical question: Does the phrase 'the same rules' refer to the rules that were used for the southward trip, or does it refer to the player needing to use the same 1912 rules as the leading player? The reference to losing the route suggests that 1911 rules are used for the player who still needs to reach the Pole.

So, to be clear: The player who is still travelling southwards uses 1911 rules (ignores the spaces' symbols), may travel multiple spaces per turn, and must discard one card of each color to reach the Pole, correct?

What if the southward-travelling player carries a compass with him; do 1911 rules apply (he cannot bring a compass to the South Pole) or do 1912 rules apply (he may use a compass as a wildcard)?

#2: What is the significance of the last player's remaining distance to the Pole?
The red figure text on p. 7 says: '(The leading player) starts in the South Pole, and the other in the space with the same colour as his last position'.

Suppose my opponent reaches the South Pole first, and I have only reached the green space; this position is 2 spaces from the South Pole, regardless of whether I play as Scott or Amundsen. We then flip the board. Playing as Scott I now start immediately adjacent to the Pole, whereas playing as Amundsen leaves me with an extra space to traverse before reaching the Pole. Conversely, if my opponent reached the South Pole while I was sitting at the yellow space (which is adjacent to the Pole for both explorers), the situation on the 1912 board is reversed: Now Amundsen gets to start immediately adjacent to the Pole, whilst Scott starts 1 space further away. In other words, the colors on the small 1912 board seem to better reflect Amundsens's progress, whereas Scott seems to benefit from holding back and staying on green (in 1911), as this will put him closer to the Pole (in 1912).
Things get really crazy if I end my 1911 voyage on a red or blue space (situated 2 spaces away from the Pole for either explorer): Now I get hurled 4 spaces away from the Pole on the 1912 board. So it seems that one's chances of regaining a lead on the home journey are wildly affected by where one ends his turn when his opponent reaches the Pole.

What is the reasoning behind this? Why was this particular layout chosen for the 1912 expansion?

#3: Do you keep your 1911 hand?
The 1912 rules address the cards in the 1911 row by saying: 'The cards in the row remain the same.' But what about the cards in the players' hands? I assume you just keep them, correct?

On a related note, I assume the last player is also able to use the fourth "Take Cards" action, even though he hasn't yet reached the Pole?

#4: How does the fourth "Take Cards" action work?
This is not explicitly covered (by the 1912 rules, at least) and so caused some confusion for us: The fourth option consists of discarding the rightmost card in the row and then blindly drawing a card from the stack. I assume that the row is then replenished with a new card on the left in order to maintain its length of three cards?

#5: How is drawing the opponent's ship penalized?
'When a player draws (a card) from the deck or takes it from the row the card with the opponent's boat, he must return it to its owner and discard all the cards from his hand except one!'
We first thought that this meant that the player who drew his opponent's ship had to discard almost all of his own cards, but re-reading it now I am led to believe the intent was actually to have the recipient lose most or all of his cards. Which is the correct reading?

#6: Are dogs and horses still color wildcards?
The 1912 expansions is played with 10 special '1912 cards' on top of the draw deck. These 10 cards include two dogs and two horses, and these cards do not have the wildcard iconography on them, suggesting that these particular cards cannot be used as wildcards, correct?

What if we go through the 10 special cards and reach the regular cards underneath. Do the regular dogs and horse cards act as wildcards under 1912 rules? And if so, can I use e.g. a single green dog card to move to a space with a yellow dog icon - as in, my card play has the correct icon (a dog) and the correct color (any '1911 dog' is a color wildcard and therefore substitutes as yellow)?

All done. I hope the designer or fellow geeks will chime in and discuss.

I like the base game and the weather expansion, but this return journey expansion felt very random and left me a bit puzzled. Still waiting to see how the patrons work. My opponent and I discussed how having more than a single starting card might work, but we'll learn soon enough once we try the patrons, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Soto
Spain
Santander
Cantabria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.pedrosoto.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Holger. I'm Pedro Soto, the artist and co-publisher of this game...

( Sorry for my english )

#1: What are the movement rules for reaching the South Pole?
The player has to reach the Pole still playing with the normal rules. That player can advance several spaces per turn, need 4 colours for reach the south pole, can use the discard and action special effects of his cards, etc... The only restriction is the use of "Blizzard" or "Crevasse" cards for "attack" the opponent because in the new board no spaces "?".

#2: What is the significance of the last player's remaining distance to the Pole?
In the picture of setup (pag 7) you can see a example: Amundsen has reach the South Pole and Scott (in the reminder printed in the another piece of board) is on the yellow space.

I think that you are wrong about the new board.
- When a player reaches the South Pole, the 2 pieces of board are turned.
- The player who has reached the South Pole begins in space "South Pole"(the black circle with white-red frame).
- The other player starts in the space with the color on the little reminder board aside the new rules in the other piece of board

That reminder is exactly like the old board.

#3a: Do you keep your 1911 hand?
Yes, both players keep the cards (and the row).

#3b: On a related note, I assume the last player is also able to use the fourth "Take Cards" action, even though he hasn't yet reached the Pole?
No. Only the player in the new board can take cards with the new option. The another player play with the "old" rules.

#4: How does the fourth "Take Cards" action work?
You discard the rightmost card and take a card directly of deck. Your turn is over and like usual, you move the cards in the row to the right and you draw a new card from the deck to fill the row (the new card will be placed in the leftmost position).

#5: How is drawing the opponent's ship penalized?
If a player take the opponent's ship (can be directly of the row or deck -with the fourth option of Take Cards-), MUST give the ship to the opponent and discard all cards in his hand except one.
It's too bad to be forced to take the opponent's ship.

BUT if the opponent is caught with 7 cards in hand, must discard all cards for receiving the ship.
It's a little hope "to do damage" to the opponent.

This last exception is added to the previous rule and ALL IS MANDATORY, not optional. First, the player that take the opponent's ship must discard the hand except one. Second, if the opponent have 7 cards in hand, lose all and receive the ship.

A ship NEVER can be discarded.

#6: Are dogs and horses still color wildcards?
No. In this expansion no dogs or horses are wildcards. No matter whether or not the card has icon (except for the player has not yet reached the South Pole and continues to play with the original rules). During the trip, both serve as wild cards. During the return trip, no.

Hope that helps and thanks for playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, this clarifies everything. thumbsup
(And, boy, did I totally overlook that the 1912 cheat sheet is also a board for the southward-travelling player!) modest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.