Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Player drop-outs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm seriously eyeing this game and had a question I'd love some help with.

To what extent can players drop in and out of the game once it gets going?

I'm not talking about a single game session mind you - I'm talking about an adventure that may carry over to a second or third session.

I'm assuming the answer is that they can't.

What about between adventures?

Let's say you start an adventure with 4 characters. They acquire items, etc, and progress.

For the next adventure, 2 no longer want to play. For the third, they want back in. Etc.

I assume that the game system can handle this, but how badly would things be messed up (in terms of uneven character advancement, etc)?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As long as you only need 4 characters (6 if you get the character add-on deck) or less, then you're good. You'd just leave their characters made, then whenever they wanna play again, they're all set to play, though they may want to go back and play previous scenarios to gain the rewards and better boons.

There's no problem having characters miss scenarios or entire adventures, aside from them being slightly underpowered for later sessions if they don't go back and play the ones they missed.

It's actually how the game is set up, to make it easy for characters to join or drop out or take time off.

Also, characters are not limited to playing each scenario once (though you can only receive the scenario/adventure ending rewards only once), so it's simple enough to go back and help other characters through if necessary.

If you end up needing more than 4(6) characters, then you can use the character tracking sheets available over at Paizo to keep track of what characters have what cards, and then unmake the characters that currently aren't playing when you need those character slots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len Luczkowski
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another solution you may want to consider is an A-Squad/B-Squad dynamic.

When my core group of friends can't make it the same night, we usually roll B-Squad. This is the group that is slightly behind the main scenario, but could handily step in if a main character is killed.

This way, if your drop in/drop outs are maybe one week at a time (and you play weekly), you can still scratch the P-finder itch, and no one feels profoundly guilty if they can't make a session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
Norway
BERGEN
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Another option is to just keep those two "drop-out" characters at the same level as the others (keep them up-to-date with scenario rewards, but don't worry about in-scenario card upgrades).

That would not be my preferred method (I'd rather do what the above state) but it is certainly feasible if you want to play that way. One group I'm in is doing things like that and it doesn't bother me at all. Better to do that and keep people playing than demand "we need 4 characters this round."

Though with my last statement, you could always have one or two people "double-play" characters to keep them active...so if you only have 3 real people, one (or all, rotating) can control the 4th character.

As long as you don't recharge BotG because of the timer discard deck OR have Valeros Not play a Cure spell (because he can!) I'm all good with your multi-player adaptations.

--Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanouil Karakostas
Greece
Thessaloniki
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's easy!

just drop out the character, and return his gear to the available cards.
Or even , keep him created and ready, so if someone else wants to play with him.

I had same issues that keeping my mind, but now i see everyting more clearly.

The box is a continuous adventure, with progress being made, so keep track what every character has played, which scenarios, and which gear.

When you go to Adventure 1, keep cards from this adventure inside the available cards, at all times, and same with Advanture 2, and 3.

When you remove cards at adventure 3, keep them always removed, even if someone wants to play Perils of the Lost Coast, with a new character, or a character that joined in the middle and has not played it.

Remember:

-Keep the box as a continuous adventure
-Keep track of progress from each character (scenarios, and gear)
-Keep the cards setting, depending on the whole progress of the adventure, without removing and placing them back , again and again depending on the different campaigns that are on the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Thanks all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.