Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Cruces
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have great prices and interesting looking games. Here are my questions:

1. Do the games play well? I realize the quality of print and play isn't the same as top notch published games, but IS the game play solid?

2. How much do you end up spending when you print

3. Are folks having them printed at places like Staples or Office Max, or doing it at home?

4. If at home, what kind of printer and supplies are you using?

5. Any other observations or comments are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cruces wrote:
They have great prices and interesting looking games. Here are my questions:

1. Do the games play well? I realize the quality of print and play isn't the same as top notch published games, but IS the game play solid?

There is no good answer to that question. Just like any major game publisher, some will be really good, others merely ok, and still others that aren't so good. About all you can do is read the user reviews and take your chances.

Quote:
2. How much do you end up spending when you print

That depends on whether you want to produce a quality game that will last or something that you can just play. Theoretically one could use just regular paper and play. Or, you could do that to see if a game is worthy of a higher quality effort.

Quote:
3. Are folks having them printed at places like Staples or Office Max, or doing it at home?

People do both. Again, it all depends on what quality you want as the end product.

Quote:
4. If at home, what kind of printer and supplies are you using?

A regular home printer will suffice quite nicely. I bought a full ream of both light and heavy cardstock. Generally I used the lighter stock for maps, charts and tables, while counters I made with the heavier stock. Printing out two sided counter on separate sheets of heavy stock and then gluing them together yielded a fairly decent counter that was easy to pick up off of the map.

Quote:
5. Any other observations or comments are welcome.

You'll want to check out the Do It Yourself section of BGG;

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/36/boardgamegeek/do-it-yo...

Check out the pinned topic at the top.

Much like painting miniatures are an entire sub-section of the hobby, so can this be. Also, do a search for Print and Play Productions. Andrew takes games that are solely P&P and does quite a nice job for you at a reasonable price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
My experiences with the games from Wargamedownloads have been mixed. Not with the site - good service, fast communications, and no problems with downloading - but the games themselves.

Some of the miniatures rules I've bought were clearly not ready for prime time, and a few seem to be little more than hastily written-up club rules. One rule of thumb: if there's no entry for the game here at BGG, you might want to err on the side of caution. It also wouldn't hurt to post questions here before you buy a title that interests you.

On the other end of the spectrum are some outstanding titles: Panzer Miniatures and its expansions, Lasalle, and the Naval Thunder: Battleship Row series.

As for cost, it really depends on the game. The Naval Thunder rules are relatively short and don't use colour. I printed them out double-sided and bound them myself, and the cost was negligible. The Panzer rules, with colour charts and data cards, lamination, etc., were quite dear to print out, though I couldn't put an exact price on it.

I've no experience with having stuff printed commercially, so I can't comment on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Runolfsson
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
The door is a jar.
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrogdog wrote:

A regular home printer will suffice quite nicely. I bought a full ream of both light and heavy cardstock. Generally I used the lighter stock for maps, charts and tables, while counters I made with the heavier stock. Printing out two sided counter on separate sheets of heavy stock and then gluing them together yielded a fairly decent counter that was easy to pick up off of the map.

When you make the counters that way how much trouble do you have getting the two sides to align? Do you glue then cut or cut then glue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:
Scrogdog wrote:

When you make the counters that way how much trouble do you have getting the two sides to align? Do you glue then cut or cut then glue?

I glue to a sheet of cardboard after trimming off top+left on front sheet and top+right on back sheet, aligning both to same corner of cardboard.

Can be slightly off, so best with counter backs with good margins and no separating lines. Something more pnp designers should consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LanceRunolfsson wrote:

Unfortunately, it's pretty much a crap shoot. Depends on the game.

What I did was to make alignment guides with a pencil to see how things lined up before I made any cuts. If things are not aligned, all is not lost. Use a straight edge and make marks on the sheet borders and see how they line up.

If things are not too far off, it's not bad. You can plan for the error, but don't assume you can do it by sliding after the glue is applied to the sheet. You can do a bit of sliding, but it is better if you plan for the offset upon placement and then slide just a little.

I actually made acceptable two sided cards with this method when I did Corsair Leader.

Also, I usually will add a second layer of card stock to counters even if they are not two sided.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrogdog wrote:

What I did was to make alignment guides with a pencil to see how things lined up before I made any cuts.

It would be an idea for designers to add "Location marks" to the counter sheets. A small dot in 2 opposite corners so that when pinned through the location mark the front and back line up.

I use MS Paint to make graphics and with a bit of fiddling with the page size and resolution it can be easy to match the edges of the sheets to match up fronts and backs. I remember as a test printing out onto paper and putting the sheets together and holding them up to the light to see how they matched up. Once you have the correct settings there is no more messing about and you can print the counters onto card. The only problem with this is if different paper sizes are used (A4, legal. letter etc) then it fails to work. I am not sure if a PDF file solves this or not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.