Jeff Simser
United States
California
flag msg tools
If a card calls for an arcane check and I only have intelligence, do I get use the intelligence skill since arcane is a sub skill of intelligence or do i have to specifically have the arcane skill?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kergen ramirez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to have the sub skill arcane or roll a default D4 die for the check.

This applies to any check that you don't have listed on your character card.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikos Diavatis
Greece
Melissia
Attica
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jeff

To cut a long story short, if you don't have the specific skill you roll a d4.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A common mistake people make though is seeing a card that lists a check of "Intelligence Arcane 6" and thinking they need to use Arcane. In this case you have the choice of using Intelligence or Arcane.

You are only forced to use Arcane if Arcane is the only skill listed.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stile2112 wrote:
...since arcane is a sub skill of intelligence or do i have to specifically have the arcane skill?


Arcane is NOT a "sub skill" of intelligence: at least not for everyone. Check out Lem's Arcane skill; it's a bonus to his Charisma. To avoid these problems, you must remember that there really is no such thing as an Intelligence/Arcane check, or a Dexterity/Disable check, etc. When you see Intelligence/Arcane 6, for example, this mean "make an intelligence 6 check OR make an Arcane 6 check," nothing more, nothing less. The fact that intelligence and arcane often come together on character cards and on checks to acquire is irrelevant.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel GOUSSET
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brayle wrote:
Stile2112 wrote:
...since arcane is a sub skill of intelligence or do i have to specifically have the arcane skill?


Arcane is NOT a "sub skill" of intelligence: at least not for everyone. Check out Lem's Arcane skill; it's a bonus to his Charisma. To avoid these problems, you must remember that there really is no such thing as an Intelligence/Arcane check, or a Dexterity/Disable check, etc. When you see Intelligence/Arcane 6, for example, this mean "make an intelligence 6 check OR make an Arcane 6 check," nothing more, nothing less. The fact that intelligence and arcane often come together on character cards and on checks to acquire is irrelevant.


Not entirely irrelevant as it as been officialy clarified that a blessing that bless a non combat intelligence/wisdom or Charisma test could be used to bless an Arcane test, so they are indeed somewhat tied.

P.S. I really disliked this interpretation... but... you know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Edwards
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IKerensky wrote:
brayle wrote:
Stile2112 wrote:
...since arcane is a sub skill of intelligence or do i have to specifically have the arcane skill?


Arcane is NOT a "sub skill" of intelligence: at least not for everyone. Check out Lem's Arcane skill; it's a bonus to his Charisma. To avoid these problems, you must remember that there really is no such thing as an Intelligence/Arcane check, or a Dexterity/Disable check, etc. When you see Intelligence/Arcane 6, for example, this mean "make an intelligence 6 check OR make an Arcane 6 check," nothing more, nothing less. The fact that intelligence and arcane often come together on character cards and on checks to acquire is irrelevant.


Not entirely irrelevant as it as been officialy clarified that a blessing that bless a non combat intelligence/wisdom or Charisma test could be used to bless an Arcane test, so they are indeed somewhat tied.

P.S. I really disliked this interpretation... but... you know.

You can only use a blessing that blesses non combat intelligence/wisdom or charisma to bless an Arcane test if you have the arcane skill though (and it is appropriately based on intelligence/charisma).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
Norway
BERGEN
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If and only if that subskill is present under the skill the blessing modifies.

IKerensky's statement can be misleading. If my character's arcane is listed under constitution I cannot use blessings that modify intelligence, for example.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Enden
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
theashers wrote:
If and only if that subskill is present under the skill the blessing modifies.

IKerensky's statement can be misleading. If my character's arcane is listed under constitution I cannot use blessings that modify intelligence, for example.


Exactly. This is why I said the fact that intelligence and arcane OFTEN come together is irrelevant. Of course, the skill that Arcane IN FACT modifies on any particular character card IS relevant.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.