Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Hartwell
England
Billericay
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm new to gaming and I keep hearing dominion is the game to get.

Its hard to find as it is but when I do it seems overpriced (or I'm just being cheap...)

Anyone able to point me in the right direction and which one should I get. Only deck builder I've played is resident evil alliance and enjoy it (though only played solo and prob will with this)

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly buy my sets from Board Game Extras - a large set is £26 (+ P&P), which is the normal price as far as I am aware.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on where you're shopping I generally find it for somewhere between about £25 (e.g. online) and £35 (e.g. slightly expensive local gaming stores). I would say anything under £30 is a good price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Intrigue is better than the base set with more replay value unless you are dealing with gateway gamers. Amazon had a sale recently, although I don't know what the deal there is with shipping. If 30 pounds is supposed to be cheap, you might save some money even with shipping because Intrigue was more like 30 dollars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
helpme1986 wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I love Dominion. But there are many areas and preferences that different games cater too. Dominion set the bar for deck building. A tableau of choices is laid before you, and you have to quickly size them up and your early choices are very important for how you want your deck to work. One can customize between some interaction and no interaction. It has high replay value, as each game is fairly unique. If this appeals to you, then yes, Dominion is the game to get. However, I have met some folks, shake, who hate Dominion.

Also, like Matt said, Intrigue is better than the base set. There are 3,268,760 different combinations of kingdom cards in this set alone. That's a lot of different games in one box.

Welcome to gaming, and BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Intrigue isn't 'better' than the base set. Intrigue is different to the base set, and some people prefer it. Some people also prefer base. I'd say slightly more people prefer Intrigue, but it's not a huge margin I'd think, so it's probably not a good idea to state like it's a matter of fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one data point: the number of BGGers who have Dominion in their BGG collection is about double the number who have Dominion: Intrigue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don't Blink
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
Just one data point: the number of BGGers who have Dominion in their BGG collection is about double the number who have Dominion: Intrigue.
that doesn't show whether intrigue is considered "better" or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Tiest

Maastricht
Netherlands
msg tools
mb
helpme1986 wrote:

Its hard to find as it is but when I do it seems overpriced (or I'm just being cheap...)

Anyone able to point me in the right direction and which one should I get. Only deck builder I've played is resident evil alliance and enjoy it (though only played solo and prob will with this)

Thanks

No one responded to the overpriced part yet: yes, considering you only get cards the game seems pricey based on components. Star Realms in comparison is a lot cheaper. That said, there are a lot of cards in the Dominion box, and more importantly, a lot of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Dominion doesn't work as a solo game. I'm surprised nobody mentioned this to the OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.