Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: variant [+] solo [+] [View All]
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the solo version of this game, however I miss the "race" to get some buildings before other players snatch them under my nose. In the solo mode, you have all time to get that big end-game VP-producing building.

So here is a simple little tweak I add to the base rules in order to put pressure to buy rewarding buildings. At the end of every even-numbered rounds (2, 4, 6), before refilling the board, I randomly remove 2 buildings and draw replacements. This adds some tension and also allows for a more realistic "cycling" of the buildings, since I found that the initial building offer - and synergy - has a major impact on your final score.

For those who wonder how to pick the removed buildings, I simply use a die: first roll determines which row (1-2 for 1st row, 3-4 for second row and 5-6 for 3rd row). Then I reroll to determine which of the 4 buildings to remove, rerolling 5s and 6s. If it falls on an empty slot, I reroll.

Any comments welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a cool tweak. Messes with your planning ability, so probably makes the solo game a teeny bit harder, but not significantly so (after all, there's always a chance that you randomly bring out a better building instead of a worse one). And seems more in line with the base game experience.

I'd probably give this or something like it a try. Better still might be a simple system for taking away buildings less-randomly, but based on the state of the game. e.g. In the early game remove buildings from the top row, in the mid game from the middle row, and the late game from the bottom row. Perhaps even specifically target the high point value buildings on rolls of 5 or 6.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eetu Laukka
Finland
flag msg tools
...then discard a card.
badge
I think he's bluffing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think that makes the solo game a little bit easier. You actively want to see new buildings, and with this tweak you will get to do that for free.

Obviously you may get screwed and be forced to remove a building you really wanted, but the chances of hitting a useless building seem far higher.

I still think that I will give this a shot, and see if it feels easier or harder than the normal version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tried this but I removed 2 buildings after every round. I rolled a 12-sided die to pick the building, if it was an empty spot( I had bought it, I did not re-roll). It helped with the variety of buildings but it did hose me a few times as I was working toward a building that was subsequently removed. My score was actually lower than in previous games, but I am not convinced the variant was the cause. Overall, it worked out very well and I will give it another go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Havox wrote:
I just tried this but I removed 2 buildings after every round. I rolled a 12-sided die to pick the building, if it was an empty spot( I had bought it, I did not re-roll). It helped with the variety of buildings but it did hose me a few times as I was working toward a building that was subsequently removed. My score was actually lower than in previous games, but I am not convinced the variant was the cause. Overall, it worked out very well and I will give it another go.

Removing 2 buildings/round can indeed be quite cruel in a way but also allows you to see more buildings. Thanks a lot for the feedback and please update your thoughts with new plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.