We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
Sadly, I don't think there's really a LOT of strategy in this game. Of course, that's probably fine in a little dice-rolling filler like this one. But maybe I'm wrong -- if so, I'm sure y'all will correct me. After several (mostly 2-player) plays, though, it seems that all you need to do is this:
1. Keep at least one building of each color active (i.e., with room to add upper level floors). You'll usually end up with more than one purple, which is a good thing.
2. Then, roll only upper-level floors. You're trying to grow your orange building to its maximum height.
3. Once orange is 5 tall, roll the penthouse dice only. You're aiming to cap your orange building to score 36 VP and end the game (and usually win; of course, if 36 VP won't win, then don't do it!).
If you don't live in a perfect world, there will be few hiccups along the way and you'll have to choose some mix of dice to roll. Generally, you'll want to keep choosing a mix of foundations and upper level dice:
- 2 foundations, 1 upper if you are running out of fodder (buildings you can add floors to easily)
- 1 foundation, 2 upper if you have room to grow but might need a few rerolls along the way (e.g., if you're going for oranges and/or have space for only a few blue/purple uppers).
Once your buildings are at maximum height, your combo changes to:
- 2 penthouse, 1 base if you have buildings you can sacrifice (ideally level 1 purple early in the game, level 1 blue/orange late in the game)
- 1 penthouse, 2 bases if you do not
I rarely choose 1 of each die type: too risky for most of the game.
As for the Abandoned District:
- if there are 4+ dice there, you almost always want to take it; unless, of course, you're not set up to be able to play those dice.
- if at all possible, avoid adding a die there unless you know your opponent(s) will not take them or you don't have a baby building to sacrifice (don't get in that situation!)
So is there more to it? What did I miss?
Don't forget to yell "THIS! IS! SKYLINE!" every time you roll.