Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Augustus, Bingo, and a few other games share this "bingo" mechanic or cards, random draws, and the "town cryer" interraction. Augustus' description of hand management and card drafing and variable powers makes sense, but none of those really seem to point to the "bingo" mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's...bingo. You get something called, like "dagger". You take a meeple and put it on the dagger. If you fill the card, you shout "Bingo!!", er, "Ave Caesar!!".

The drafting and variable abilities are what elevate this game above what our grandmas play....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played with my non-gamer family last night and only my brother questioned the yelling out "bingo" aspect of it.

He said, "We are supposed to be calling out something else when we bingo, right?"

Sorry BGG, I simplified it for my sister-in-law and gf by asking them to cry out bingo

I think bingo perfectly describes it since most people have played bingo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG doesn't seem to currently have a category or mechanic that describes the core of bingo. You could propose one. I know the "Time Track" mechanic was added within the last couple years, at the request of a user.

"Chit Pull" is the one that sounds like it, but that clearly has a very specific meaning within the wargame realm.

I don't know how general you would want this mechanism to be. For example, should it include any of these?

Thebes: When you dig for artifacts, you pull chits out of a bag (and return any blank "dirt" chits to the bag).

German Railways: Each round, a bag is seeded with player chits based on current wealth. Some chits are drawn, and those players get to take turns this round, in drawn order. Non-drawn players don't get a turn that round.

Bombay: A few times each game, a fixed number of cubes are drawn from a bag, and these determine market prices of various colors of silk.

Amerigo: Each round, cubes are dropped in a tower, and cubes fall out the bottom. (The tower "catches" cubes, so what comes out won't necessarily match what went in.) The resulting cubes determine what actions are available to everyone that round.

Lord of the Rings: Each turn, the player draws tiles from a bag, suffering their effects, until they get a good one. Hm. Maybe the game says to draw from a stack, and we just added a bag ourselves because it's so much easier and more fun to draw from a bag!

Anyway, my point is: You'll have to decide what are the key distinguishing characteristics of the mechanism. Then you can name it, and then you could propose it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
"Chit Pull" is the one that sounds like it, but that clearly has a very specific meaning within the wargame realm.
A couple months ago I tried to add the chit pull mechanic for Augustus. My request was denied because chit pull only refers to wargames, however several non-wargames were assigned chit pull. I then made some geek gold by requesting to remove chit pull from all of these non-wargames. There were at least 20 of them.

In my opinion, chit pull should be opened up to apply to non-wargames. There seems to be no reason that this has to be so specific to wargames unless there is something special in the mechanic that applies only to wargames. If the game is assigned to chit pull and wargame then it would understood to be chit pull in the classic sense, otherwise it is a similar action in a non-wargame.

If the name is getting in the way because in these other instances we are not pulling chits then perhaps it should be renamed to something more generic (e.g., random component selection), or perhaps we just need another mechanic named something similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I just checked Don Quixote since both games have a similar feel and reception in our extended family and it only lists "Tile Placement". I guess by that logic that's why people refer to Augusts as "Worker Placement" which is starting to make more sense to me after about 50 plays. We've described Augustus to friends as a combination of elements from all our favorite games (7 Wonders, Race for the Galaxy, Jambo, and Ascension: Deckbuilding Game so far, but I'm sure there are more) but the bingo element really has started to resemble a streamlined worker placement game. I think that as gamers we tend to overcomplicate things, but in the end a lot of more complicated games boil down to "place a guy, did you invest in the right thing?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
the bingo element really has started to resemble a streamlined worker placement game.
The placement of the workers is similar to worker placement, but the random drawing of components doesn't seem to fit worker placement.

You could make the case that most games that draw randomly from a deck of cards would fit this random drawing "mechanic" as well. I think thousands of games would fit this, so perhaps it is too broad, but I think it could be useful to know this when researching games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
riddell wrote:

You could make the case that most games that draw randomly from a deck of cards would fit this random drawing "mechanic" as well. I think thousands of games would fit this, so perhaps it is too broad, but I think it could be useful to know this when researching games.

That's what I was referring to, just not as succinctly. Whether it's a chit draw, card flip, or dice roll that element (mechanic?) is at the core of a huge number of games. I've played a lot of "worker placement" games where all the work/production is only there because the theme says it is. I like that Augustus has the theme if you want to put it there or it can just be super bingo for non-gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john withers
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Call and Play?
I'm not arguing with the drafting and variable hand labels. I agree that they are well applied and differentiate the game from "Bingo" well. The unofficial Chit Pull seems to apply---even if it is technically war gamish--although Chit Pull may only apply to part of the mechanic. The pull from a bag or the ball bouncing around in a bingo cage both seem "chit pull" to me in essence, but the Call and Play aspect of the mechanic also seems important. In my understanding of the heuristics, the "bingo" mechanic seems to be a Chit Pull plus Call and Play when applied to Augustus. I'm sure other games have or will do something similar differently, but that seems to be a complete description.

Perhaps Call and Play is general enough to be applicable to both Bingo and Augustus and other games I haven't yet played.

Isn't Bingo based on Loetria? Maybe the older term should be the identifier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg S.
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I refer to Augustus as Euro Bingo. Though, that doesn't do the game justice as is usually immediately followed up with "but it is NOT bingo!".

I looked up the BGG definition of Chit Pull, and it doesn't seem to apply:

Quote:
Used in war games to address the problem of simulating simultaneous action on the battlefield and issues of command and control. In such a system the current player randomly draws a chit or counter identifying a group of units which may now be moved.

I also looked up the BGG definition of Worker Placement, and it does not seem to fit either:

Quote:
More precisely referred to as "action drafting", this mechanism requires players to draft individual actions from a set that is available to all players. In a given round, drafting is done one-at-a-time and in turn order until all players have had a chance to draft individual actions. There is a limit on the number of times a single action may be drafted each round. Once that limit is reached, an action can no longer be taken until a subsequent round or until the action space is no longer occupied by a worker. As such, not all actions can be taken by all players in a given round, and action 'blocking' occurs.

I think the best way to describe it is as a Bingo mechanic: a common card/tile/dice roll/ball is randomly pulled, and all players use that card/tile/dice/ball.

In this sense, I guess Texas Holdem has a bingo mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.