Ross Mortell
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

not sure if anyone can help but........

If I roll Crisis Deepens each side gets to activate one formation per country - got it.

Then set piece strikes occur. Here is where I get confused.

Can all artillery, planes etc attack or only the formations that were activated to move?

If everyone can fire - in what order? - initiative first?

Actually whilst I am here - who sets up first - I have always played that the side without the initiative sets up first but I can't see anything in the rules.

any ideas?

thanks in advance

Ross
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Compton
United States
Boiling Springs
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is how I see it:

In Crisis Deepens, full warfare hasn't broken out yet so you can only do strikes.

Page 6 of Scenario Book states: "Roll a die to determine which player first moves a formation, after which the players alternate moving formations one at a time."

Who can fire first is determined by who gets DETECTED first. You can only do a strike on a unit that has been detected. So let's say Player 1 moves a formation first due to winning the die roll above. He moves some units within detection range of Player 2. If Player 2 successfully detects the moving units, Player 2 could then launch a strike. If not, Player 2 can't launch an air or arty strike.

For initial set up of units? I don't think it matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Mortell
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Billy,

thanks for getting back to me.

I didn't mean reaction strikes (against moving targets) but set piece strikes that can be fired against stationary targets. Detection range being half the range to a moving target.

I also believe that setup order does matter. If the Jordanians (for example) set up first, then they don't know the direction of the main Israeli thrust and so have to cover the whole front. If going second then, obviously, they can see the main effort and defend accordingly.

cheers

Ross

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ross99 wrote:
Hi,

not sure if anyone can help but........

If I roll Crisis Deepens each side gets to activate one formation per country - got it.

Then set piece strikes occur. Here is where I get confused.

Can all artillery, planes etc attack or only the formations that were activated to move?

If everyone can fire - in what order? - initiative first?

Actually whilst I am here - who sets up first - I have always played that the side without the initiative sets up first but I can't see anything in the rules.

any ideas?

thanks in advance

Ross

Quite frankly, what this means has changed over time. The idea is that a missile/artillery exchange has begun, while formations mobilize and move into position for a potential war. As always the player with the initiative, initiates.

As far as who sets up first, while you mention some advantage in going last, since you are activating formations and they are mobilizing you could obscure the main attack point. I am not sure it is all that important, but the simple answer is the player with the initiative should decide who sets up first.

I hope that helps,

Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Mortell
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Mark,

thanks for getting back. Thanks for making some great games

The initiative question is not a biggie - I always let the non-initiative side set up first anyway. I was just after some confirmation. It makes more of a difference if playing a campaign set on D+? when several formations have been mobilized and everyone can set up anywhere in their countries. But not a problem as I said.

The set piece strikes confused me slightly because I was unsure if it was a localized shooting match between the activated forces or a more general artillery duel every where. It sounds like everyone is blazing away so I am good to go.

Thanks again

Ross

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.