Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Nicholson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmb
The activation stage requires you to play command cards until all disks are either activated or pinned before combat takes place. Therefore I have some questions/ concerns:

1) Are you best to always go second when playing a command card which ideally allows you to pin an opponent rather than being pinned.

2) Doesn't it also mean you are best to keep your disks close to each other to allow a scrum to be created.

3) I played a Empire versus Orc battle and it just really ended in a massive scrum in the middle, almost a bit like dominoes.

Would the turn sequence be more strategic if you played 1 command card, activated units and then your opponent plays their command card. Then resolve melee combat after each player has played one command card. Then play the next set of command cards. This would minimise scrums at least.

Again, perhaps I am missing something! Thoughts welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Darian_Rakath wrote:
Are you best to always go second

This is where the rock paper scissor resolution order kicks in. You can't really always control your order.

Darian_Rakath wrote:
best to keep your disks close to each other to allow a scrum

Keeping disks together is a double edged sword - lets you get multiple dudes held down too easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron s
msg tools
1.) If this was true, yes. However, most of the time you can't 100% know what your opponent is doing. In the very first round of the game I'll usually play a slow card, but beyond that you can never know for sure. Although there are definitely some situations when you know if you go first you can pin and if they go first they will pin you.

2.) You generally want support for your disks, yes. However, that doesn't really mean lump in one giant group. If only for the fact that you don't want to impact damage yourself, or end up killing yourself due to Scatter results. Also, sometimes terrain may require splitting disks up more. Thirdly, there are certain disks like the Talabheim Greatswords who gain swift (counterattack), and you would not want to create a scrum with them if they pin you. Etc.

3.) Was this the learning scenario? But again terrain can change this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Nicholson
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for your comments. Only a few games in so your comments are really welcome.

Thanks for the grouping watch outs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Gross
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going first can be a big advantage when you take into account units with Impact, which cause damage as they move; missile units, which fire when they activate; and focus abilities, which trigger on activation. I don't think it's at all clear that going 2nd is an advantage more often than going first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with all the responses. Additionally, in close games, there is usually a turn that you REALLY need to go first. Although, generally speaking, there are turns you may wish you were going second, the turns that you need to go first are usually more decisive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonçalo
Portugal
Oliveira do Hospital
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now you guys got me all mixed up...

I thought that both players showed their card at the same time.

I thought it very logical considering that rock paper scissors system!

Did I get it wrong?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about that. Players reveal the cards at the same time and the "speed" of the cards are compared to see who will activate first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Brown
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
1) Timing is one of the crucial points of this game. Absolutes rarely are. When you will want to activate your units will greatly depend on what force you are playing, and whom you opponent is. I'm playing around with the Elves for now and in most circumstances I prefer to activate second during the first command flip, as it forces my opponent to commit some of his disks typicaly towards my spear line. Then counter with my swordmasters. Ideally during the second flip I want to go first so as to better utilize both my magic abilities, and ranged abilities to potentially prevent the enemy from pinning my swordmasters. The lasst two flips can go either way, but I try to ensure that I empower a decisive unit (either a swordmaster who was pinned or a champion isolated.) But that's an ideal scenarion with my current army.

2) It depends on the other crucial part of this game: position. Some armies would desire this, some will not. There isn't really any hard/fast rule for this. Orc Shamans like having more guys around them, but if I'm playing against Archaon and a bloodthirster, then I'll want to spread out a bit to minimized casualties.

3) I would advise playing several more games before tampering with the mechanics as they stand. If problems develop a bit into the future, then FFG is sure to address them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.