Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I understand it, a leader of Columbia gets 1pt and the leader of Mexico gets 2pt

In our session, a player was the leader in both Columbia and Mexico; he didn't even smuggle any coke into the USA as he claimed it was too difficult and was easier just selling the product every round to Mexico and spending his money re-inforcing his 3-points every turn.

This seems overpowered; thus I would like clarification on Mexico; what it does, what happens when product gets sold there and what the ramifications of selling to Mexico are.

In terms of the trial process, are player's influence cubes:

(a) meant to move one both every season or only on Period of Adjustment

it seems odd that they only move in Period of Adjustment because it can take a very long time for influence cubes to come out. If each season is a year and a Period of Adjustment is 4 years; it appears in this game the trial process can take anything between 4 years and 12 years which is way too long to get influence back.

(b) if influence cubes are pushed to Acquital, are they returned to the player's hand immediatley or do we have to wait until they are pushed out -- again its odd that the Period Adjustment (every 4 rounds) means the Acquital is 4 years long?

I'm sure we got the trial process wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Cubes going into the trial process is bad...very bad. It's suppose to be very bad which is why there are so many ways to move them through the process other than just waiting for the period of adjustment. You can use the special ability of the lawyers to move cubes down. You can call in DEA favors if you have you influence with them. These are options that allow for getting your cubes out of the trial process and back to your supply for further use. If you dare to keep your cubes there you will face substantial negative points at the end of the game.

Yes you as a player of the game can sit by idly and allow another player to simply 'run' both Columiba and Mexico allowing them to score a very easy 3 points every single turn. This would be a bad idea though as that's a lot of points. This is not purely a euro game where you setup your little engine and run coke from Columiba to the states. It's a game designed with the part of your tactical decision making being "Kill the other players." You have to play with that as part of your plan and there are plenty of cards in the deck that allow you to do this by adding cubes directly to the countries. Not to mention the DEA favor of arresting a cube can be big. Sure it costs a lot but timed correctly and with the proper use of a snitch you can see someone who appears to be very well seated in a country overturned in a single players turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So far I've played this great game only 3 times, but every time everybody was at least trying not too be someone boss of Mexico OR Colombia too easy, let alone if someone was boss of both, which would mean killingtime in no time.

This is a game that should be played with a certain agressiveness. If you let someone be the boss of Columbia AND Mexico you know who'll win. Just play harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll remember that next time. I wasn't sure if we were playing it right.

But lets say you do sell coke to Mexico -- what ramifications are there? Does the leader of Mexico get a cut?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The root of all evil... but you can call me cookie.
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The only ramification is that your previous turns action only doubled your $5 Mil investment. In this game getting $5 Mil in profit for your $5 Mil investment is not that great of an exchange. When I buy cocaine for $5 Mil and plan a trip across the boarder with it I'm expecting $45-$55 Mil really. So, no the leader of Mexico gets nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amo .
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.