Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ian o
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so I'm fairly new to RftG. I understand why Rebel worlds are different, but whats up with the Uplift cards? Are they only important in later expansions?

How about thematically? What does it mean in the overall story of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lassberg
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't help much with thematically, but it does absolutely factor in with future expansions (both the UPLIFT keyword and the funny green gene-looking symbol that usually accompanies it).

There's even a start world that works around them in the 3rd expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Semi-related...
exp #1 (TGS) uses the 'X' chromosome symbols

exp #2 (RvI) has a 6-cost development that looks for UPLIFT and the 'X' chromosome symbol. There's also a First Goal (goals are introduced in e1) where it's 3pts for the player who first has 3 UPLIFT on his tableau.

exp #3 (BoW) has an UPLIFT homeworld, a world that compares 'X' chromosome symbols. While these say UPFLIT, they're both moreso into the 'X' factor.

exp #4 (AA). Although independent of the 1st arc (the 1st three exps), here, there's also an UPLIFT start world, and a 6-cost that scores on UPLIFT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Russell
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
exp #4 (AA). Although independent of the 1st arc (the 1st three exps), here, there's also an UPLIFT start world, and a 6-cost that scores on UPLIFT
There's also a card (Rebel Uplift World) in AA that cares about the 'X' chromosome symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thematically, I see them as homages to David Brin's Uplift novels (eg Startide Rising, The Uplift War). In those novels uplift was the process of genetic manipulation advanced species used to bring other species to sentience. In the universe of RftG I see Uplift as representing worlds or techs which provide an abundance of genes or breakthroughs in the uplift process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian o
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks everyone!

And thanks for the thematic connection Larry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Note the bottom sidebar on page 4 of the RFTG rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The later expansions also reveal a bit more about where the uplift races came from. [Edit - See this review of RvI for pictures of cards which hint at the Uplift back-story]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike James
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always been confused by the Uplift cards. Thanks for the insight!

I still think it's just plain rude to put useless components in a game. The symbol clutters up cards that are already crammed with information. I understand it's used in later expansions, but why not just wait till later expansions to add them?

FYI, this is, possibly, my favorite game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grankin
Ukraine
Mariupol
flag msg tools
michaeljzerby wrote:
I still think it's just plain rude to put useless components in a game. The symbol clutters up cards that are already crammed with information. I understand it's used in later expansions, but why not just wait till later expansions to add them?

Let's say you make a card game with 110 cards in it. Then you release an expansion consisting of 20 cards and you want to add some completely new stuff, for example, the DOWNLIFT keyword. To make sure that after mixing all cards together the DOWNLIFT keyword appears frequently enough, you would have to mark almost every card in your expansion with DOWNLIFT symbol. Which does not work well thematically (you want a diverse set of cards in the expansion and aside from adding DOWNLIFT cards you also want to give new cards to some existing strategies).

But if you have DOWNLIFT keywords evenly distributed through the base set too, it makes much easier to add support for them in later expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
michaeljzerby wrote:
why not just wait till later expansions to add them?

A) Foreshadowing, as in a series of books, where sometimes the author puts things in earlier books that aren't relevant until later in the series.

Uplift, Imperium, and Terraforming are important concepts in RFTG; we wanted this "texture" of a larger universe present in the base game.

B) We wanted to show a sense of time progressing across the base set and the first expansion arc. For example, the base set has some Uplift worlds. In GS, we find Clandestine experiments being performed on Uplift subjects. In RvI, the Uplift Code is cracked. In BoW, two different ways in which Uplift races are being exploited is shown, as the Uplift races begin to revolt against this.

C) Mechanically, restricting these terms to just the expansions would make it much harder to add them later, due to the streakiness of card draws. Adding terms earlier allows us to better manage this variance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the flavor aspect that it has too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike James
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You make me want to rush out to the store and buy some expansions!

I guess since I've been playing the game for a couple years now I tend to overlook the universe it takes place in. I enjoy the depth of a great sci-fi story. I guess I forgot that's what the game is attempting to tell.

I still think it's a risky move from a business standpoint. if the game fails overall, you're left with fans wanting more of something that they will never get. I also know that I would never make it in the business world

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I'm not totally sure about is the thematic implication of the X (chromosome) symbol. I had assumed that it denoted an uplift race, whereas cards with just the Uplift keyword relate to discoveries about the uplift, or way the uplift are being exploited. However Clandestine Uplift Lab from GS goes against this as it has the X symbol but thematically is obviously not an uplift race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
One thing I'm not totally sure about is the thematic implication of the X (chromosome) symbol. I had assumed that it denoted an uplift race, whereas cards with just the Uplift keyword relate to discoveries about the uplift, or way the uplift are being exploited. However Clandestine Uplift Lab from GS goes against this as it has the X symbol but thematically is obviously not an uplift race.
I'd say you could counter-argue from the card art that they obviously have some sort of Uplift race in there. Perhaps more than one. Or, perhaps you may be right and there may not be any uplift races in there from a biological standpoint, but then, that's what aim of the clandestine lab is... to create one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... Yes, I agree that it looks like they have members of at least two uplift races there, who they have presumably kidnapped or lured there under false pretenses. I was assuming that thematically they would be from the other uplift worlds in your tableau, but I realized I'm assuming the player who settles the lab has discovered some uplift races and then decided to experiment on them.

Thinking about it that's not correct - if I settle it then thematically we've discovered a world where people are doing this and dispatched our military to take it over. Whether we allow the experiments to continue isn't clear, but we clearly gain some useful knowledge and possible they have discovered some uplift races our civilization hasn't come across yet (hence the X symbol).

[Yes I do think about the theme of games too hard]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Labs have freezers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Lucas
United States
Oconomowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scwont wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
There's also a card (Rebel Uplift World) in AA that cares about the 'X' chromosome symbol.

Ok so I just bought AA and have never played any of the other expansions (and I can't find the answer to this anywhere else!)

Is the gene symbol and the word uplift interchangeable? For example, if a card says something about the gene symbol, would an uplift card from the base 'work' in that instance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CameronWLucas wrote:
Is the gene symbol and the word uplift interchangeable? For example, if a card says something about the gene symbol, would an uplift card from the base 'work' in that instance?

They are different, but in base+AA it's irrelevant. There isn't a single card combination where the distinction matters.

No card cares about chromosomes except Uplift Researchers, and no card differentiates between UPLIFT chromosomes and UPLIFT non-chromosomes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
entranced wrote:
CameronWLucas wrote:
Is the gene symbol and the word uplift interchangeable?

They are different, but in base+AA it's irrelevant. There isn't a single card combination where the distinction matters.

No card cares about chromosomes except Uplift Researchers

This is false. Rebel Uplift World does not gain Military from the Alien Uplift Chamber, Uplift Alliance, or the Uplift Researchers being in your tableau, only from worlds with chromosome symbols.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
entranced wrote:
CameronWLucas wrote:
Is the gene symbol and the word uplift interchangeable?

No card cares about chromosomes except Uplift Researchers

This is false. Rebel Uplift World does not gain Military from either the Alien Uplift Chamber or Uplift Alliance being in your tableau, only from worlds with chromosome symbols.

yeah, very similar to the exp #3 cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So with this combination you would have 2 military from Rebel Uplift World (one for each chromosome symbol), and Alien Uplift Chamber would be worth 8 points (2 for each Uplift card).

(Expedition Force included because otherwise you couldn't get Rebel Uplift World down)

Edit: Expedition Force removed as it doesn't need to be there as pointed out below!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
(Expedition Force included because otherwise you couldn't get Rebel Uplift World down)

(You could with a discard-from-tableau-for-temporary-military power or a +military orb token) devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nishadham
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:
Not quite true, you could also use Uplift Researchers' power to settle Rebel Uplift World (for free, with the discount), since it has a chromosome symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
zabdiel wrote:

Even then, there's nothing wrong with an illustrative example every now and then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.